- This paper presents Lewis's intensional semantics1, on the basis of which he aims to answer two questions:
- "What sort of thing is a meaning?" and
- "What is the form of semantic rules whereby meanings of compounds are built from the meanings of their constituent parts?"
- To this end, Lewis develops a categorically based transformational grammar.
- The paper provides formal treatments of such topics as intensions (for both basic and derived categories), nondeclarative sentences, quantification, and noun-phrases.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020
- Mauve: Text by correspondent(s) or other author(s); © the author(s)