Philosophers Index Abstract
- I claim that it is a necessary condition of self-consciousness1 that one is intuitively aware of oneself, qua subject, as a physical object.
- Intuitiveness awareness of oneself as a physical object involves various forms of bodily self-awareness in which one is presented to oneself, qua subject, as shaped, solid and located.
- These forms of bodily self-awareness are required for self-consciousness2 because they are necessary for consciousness of one's own identity as the subject of different representations and for consciousness of these representations as representations of an objective world.
- This account of self-consciousness3 helps to undermine various forms of idealism and reductionism about the self.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019
- Mauve: Text by correspondent(s) or other author(s); © the author(s)