- This is a pseudo-paper used to record time spent against Chapter 8 of my PhD Thesis: See this Note1.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 03/12/2018 09:36:00): Thesis - Chapter 08 (Arguments against Animalism)
- A discussion of the arguments against animalism, as given by those of anti-animalist persuasion and defended by the principal animalists (with a focus on Eric Olson), with a critique.
- Follow this Link3 for a generic statement of how I intend to pursue each Chapter.
- The method is broken down into 12, possibly iterative, stages.
- Follow this Link4 for my progress dashboard on these tasks.
- To be supplied.
- To be supplied.
Links to Books / Papers to be Addressed5
- In this Chapter I will consider the following papers or book chapters (together with some others referenced by these). There are doubtless many more that are relevant and which will be addressed in the course of the thesis, but these are probably sufficient to get us going.
- I’ve not been overly careful to segregate the reading-list of this Chapter from that of Chapter 66. I will address the segregation in due course. There will, in any case, be some overlap.
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Big-Tent Metaphysics", Baker
- "Belshaw (Christopher) - My Beginnings", Belshaw
- "Berglund (Stefan) - Animalism", Berglund
- "Blatti (Stephan) - Animalism, Dicephalus, and Borderline Cases", Blatti
- "Braine (David) - The Human Person: Animal and Spirit", Braine
- "Dainton (Barry) - Review of Eric Olson's 'The Human Animal: Personal Identity Without Psychology'", Dainton
- "Francescotti (Robert) - Fetuses, corpses and the psychological approach to personal identity", Francescotti
- "Garrett (Brian) - Animalism and Reductionism", Garrett
- "Garrett (Brian) - Some Thoughts on Animalism", Garrett
- "Gendler (Tamar Szabo) - Review of Eric Olson's 'The Human Animal: Personal Identity Without Psychology'", Gendler
- "Hershenov (David) - Do Dead Bodies Pose a Problem for Biological Approaches to Personal Identity", Hershenov
- "Hershenov (David) - Olson's Embryo Problem", Hershenov
- "Hershenov (David) - The Death of a Person", Hershenov
- "Hershenov (David) - The Problematic Role of ‘Irreversibility’ in the Definition of Death", Hershenov
- "Hudson (Hud) - I am Not an Animal!", Hudson
- "Koch-Hershenov (Rose J.) - Conjoined Twins and the Biological Account of Personal Identity", Koch-Hershenov
- "Larkin (William S.) - Persons, Animals, and Bodies", Larkin
- "Lockwood (Michael) - When Does a Life Begin?", Lockwood
- "Mackie (David) - Personal Identity and Dead People", Mackie
- "Markosian (Ned) - Three Problems for Olson's Account of Personal Identity", Markosian
- "Moran (Alexander P.) - Animalism and the Thinking Parts Problem", Moran
- "Noonan (Harold) - Animalism Versus Lockeanism: A Current Controversy", Noonan
- "Noonan (Harold) - Animalism versus Lockeanism: Reply to Mackie", Noonan
- "Noonan (Harold) - Arguments Against Animalism: Comments on L.R.Baker 'Persons & Bodies'", Noonan
- "Noonan (Harold) - Persons, Animals and Human Beings", Noonan
- "Noonan (Harold) - Persons, Animals and Human Beings (2010)", Noonan
- "Olson (Eric), Etc. - Abstracta Special Issue on 'The Human Animal'", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - Animalism and the Corpse Problem", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - Animalism and the Remnant-Person Problem", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - Reply to Lynne Rudder Baker", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - The Metaphysical Implications of Conjoined Twining", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - The Person and the Corpse", Olson
- "Persson (Ingmar) - Our Identity and the Separability of Person and Organism", Persson
- "Rosenberg (Jay) - Bodies, Corpses, and Chunks of Matter: A Reply to Carter", Rosenberg
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Review of Eric Olson's 'The Human Animal: Personal Identity Without Psychology'", Shoemaker_S
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Self, Body, and Coincidence", Shoemaker_S
- "Snowdon (Paul) - Personal Identity and Brain Transplants", Snowdon
- "Snowdon (Paul) - Persons, Animals, and Bodies", Snowdon
- "Snowdon (Paul) - Some Objections to Animalism", Snowdon
- "Sutton (Catherine S.) - The Supervenience Solution to the Too-Many-Thinkers Problem", Sutton
- "Thornton (Mark) - Same Human Being, Same Person?", Thornton
- "Unger (Peter) - The Survival of the Sentient", Unger
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Material People", Zimmerman
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Problems for Animalism", Zimmerman
- Many aspects of these papers will need to be either ignored or reserved for other chapters.
- The motivation for these works is as follows:-
- There had already been a lot of cutting in the various selections of the original reading list – the reading lists attached to the Notes run on and on – and these items just represent the works in my possession (though I have sought out all that I’ve heard of that look relevant).
- However, the items in the lists following were given some attention, and have been culled – at least temporarily – from the lists above, where they originally appeared. I’ve not always given a reason as I’ve not studied them sufficiently closely. But, you have to draw a line somewhere.
- I’m well aware that the cut has not been sufficiently rigorous. Further items beyond the items below are likely to be culled when I come to process them.
Links to Notes7
- Animalism - Objections8,
- This is work in progress10.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (03/12/2018 09:36:00).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- See the section on Research Methodology for what is to be done with these.
- The author’s surname is repeated in the text to make it easier for me to see what’s going on in the encoded text I work on.
- There is effectively a 1-1-match between this Chapter and the Note Animalism – Objections.
- I imagine that this Chapter will be more focussed and less exploratory than the Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018