- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Biological View1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 10/04/2017 23:38:24): Biological View
- The Biological View is that we are4 biological organisms5, and – in particular – have the persistence conditions6 of biological organisms. Since the organisms we are are obviously human animals7, this view is effectively just Animalism8.
- The BV is to be distinguished from older physicalist variants – in particular the “Body View9”.
- The primary work addressing this topic is"Wilson (Jack) - Biological Individuality - The identity and Persistence of Living Entities", though its focus is on what the persistence criteria of organisms are, rather on whether or not we are organisms.
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start as below. It is somewhat arbitrary as to which works fall under this topic, and which under the Biological Criterion10 or Animalism11.
- "DeGrazia (David) - Human Identity and Bioethics", DeGrazia, 2005
→ "Hershenov (David) - Review of David DeGrazia’s Human Identity and Bioethics", Hershenov, 2008
- "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction", Shoemaker, 2009
- This is mostly a place-holder12. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (10/04/2017 23:38:24).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018