- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Body Criterion1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 17/05/2020 22:04:48): Body Criterion
- I intend this Note to cover just what it is that makes a body continue the same body over time. The two related Notes:-
→ Bodily Continuity4, or
… will cover more general issues, though I’ve not quite decided how the labour would be best distributed.
- I will consider bodies as “lumps of matter” under this Note. For the persistence criteria of living bodies (Organisms6), see the Note on the Biological Criterion7.
- This Note will need to consider mereological8 matters – such as mereological essentialism – as far as they apply to bodies.
- One of the troubling9 areas for animalism10 – the corpse problem – arises from the denial that I am identical to my “corpse to be”, and that when I die, a new item – my corpse11 – which is not identical to my pre-mortem body (which was an organism) because it has different persistence conditions12. This sudden popping into existence seems counter-intuitive – but otherwise there seem to be two items co-located pre-mortem – the organism and the body. Olson gets round the problem by denying the existence of “bodies” – but this isn’t very intuitive either.
- As noted above, the segregation of books and papers between these three related Notes is currently somewhat arbitrary. Currently, the categorised reading-list on this topic is fairly diminutive. Most potentially-relevant items appear under “Body”. Some of the items in the lists below are somewhat speculative.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read13 include the following:-
- "Blatti (Stephan) - Animalism and its Implications", Blatti
- "Garrett (Brian) - Criteria of Personal Identity", Garrett
- "Noonan (Harold) - An Initial Survey", Noonan
- "Schechtman (Marya) - Reidentification: Conclusion", Schechtman
- "Thomas (Janice L.) - The bodily criterion", Thomas
- "Thomas (Janice L.) - What matters for survival and the logical possibility of resurrection", Thomas
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Bourgeois (Warren) - Contemporary Philosophers' Views on Persons: Wiggins and Williams", Bourgeois
- "Garbacz (Pawel) - What is a level of a criterion of identity?", Garbacz
- "Garver (Newton) - Criterion of Personal Identity", Garver
- "Hudson (Hud) - The Criterion of Personal Identity", Hudson
- "Hudson (Hud) - I am Not an Animal!", Hudson
- "Johnston (Mark) - Is Heaven a Place We Can Get To?", Johnston
- "Johnston (Mark) - Remnant Persons: Animalism's Undoing", Johnston
- "Lowe (E.J.) - What Is a Criterion Of Identity?", Lowe
- "Mavrodes (George I.) - The Life Everlasting and the Bodily Criterion of Identity", Mavrodes
- "Olson (Eric) - Is there a Bodily Criterion of Personal Identity", Olson
- "Sider (Ted) - Criteria of Personal Identity and the Limits of Conceptual Analysis", Sider
- This is mostly a place-holder14.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (17/05/2020 22:04:48).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020