- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Coincidence1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 17/08/2018 17:35:31): Coincidence
- I’m not talking here about fortuitous happenstance, but about coincident objects – objects that (appear to) occupy the same space – or substantially the same space – at the same time.
- There are a number of classical puzzles that have worried about such things, such as:-
- The Statue and the Clay4,
- Dion and Theon5,
- Tibbles the Cat6,
- The Ship of Theseus7,
- The Problem of the Many8
- Additionally, the alleged problems with coincident objects feature in Olson9’s Master Argument (Thinking Animal Argument10) in favour of Animalism11.
- For a page of Links to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read12, include13 the following:-
- "Chandler (Hugh S.) - Theseus' Clothes-Pin", Chandler
- "Doepke (Frederick) - Spatially Coinciding Objects", Doepke, 1982
- "Doyle (Robert O.) - Coinciding Objects", Doyle.
- "Fine (Kit) - A Counter-Example To Locke's Thesis", Fine, 2000
- "Olson (Eric) - Material Coincidence and the Indiscernibility Problem", Olson
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Self, Body, and Coincidence", Shoemaker
- "Wiggins (David) - On Being in the Same Place at the Same Time", Wiggins14, 1968
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere – I’ve tried to ignore those items covered under the head of the various “puzzle-cases”, though "Gallois (Andre) - The Puzzle Cases" draws them all together) might start with:-
- "Burke (Michael) - Preserving the Principle of One Object to a Place: A Novel Account of the Relations Amongst Objects, Sorts, Sortals, and Persistence Conditions", Burke
- "Carter (William) - On Contingent Identity and Temporal Worms", Carter15
- "Elder (Crawford) - Essential Properties and Coinciding Objects", Elder, 1998
- "Hershenov (David) - Can There Be Spatially Coincident Entities of the Same Kind?", Hershenov, 2003
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Coinciding Objects: In Defence of the ‘Standard Account’", Lowe
- "McGrath (Matthew) - Four-Dimensionalism and the Puzzles of Coincidence", McGrath, 2007
- "Oderberg (David) - Coincidence Under a Sortal", Oderberg, 1996
- "Shorter (J.M.) - On Coinciding in Space and Time", Shorter, 1977
- "Sidelle (Alan) - A Sweater Unraveled: Following One Thread of Thought for Avoiding Coincident Entities", Sidelle, 1998
- This is mostly a place-holder16.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (17/08/2018 17:35:31).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Footnote 15: |..||.|recommended under this head by Bob Doyle, but more relevant under Perdurantism and Contingent Identity.
- This may be the place to start!
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018