- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Coincidence1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 14/09/2020 00:08:38): Coincidence
- I’m not talking here about fortuitous happenstance, but about coincident objects – objects that (appear to) occupy the same space – or substantially the same space – at the same time.
- There are a number of classical puzzles that have worried about such things, such as:-
- The Statue and the Clay4,
- Dion and Theon5,
- Tibbles the Cat6,
- The Ship of Theseus7,
- The Problem of the Many8
- Additionally, the alleged problems with coincident objects feature in Olson9’s Master Argument (Thinking Animal Argument10) in favour of Animalism11.
- This Note will need an update once the Notes above have been completed.
- For a page of Links to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read12 include the following:-
- "Chandler (Hugh S.) - Theseus' Clothes-Pin", Chandler
- "Doepke (Frederick) - Spatially Coinciding Objects", Doepke, 1982
- "Doyle (Robert O.) - Coinciding Objects", Doyle.
- "Fine (Kit) - A Counter-Example To Locke's Thesis", Fine, 2000
- "Olson (Eric) - Material Coincidence and the Indiscernibility Problem", Olson
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Self, Body, and Coincidence", Shoemaker
- "Wiggins (David) - On Being in the Same Place at the Same Time", Wiggins13, 1968
- I’ve tried to ignore those items covered under the head of the various “puzzle-cases”, though "Gallois (Andre) - The Puzzle Cases" draws them all together. So, a further reading list might start with:-
- "Burke (Michael) - Preserving the Principle of One Object to a Place: A Novel Account of the Relations Amongst Objects, Sorts, Sortals, and Persistence Conditions", Burke
- "Carter (William) - On Contingent Identity and Temporal Worms", Carter14
- "Elder (Crawford) - Essential Properties and Coinciding Objects", Elder, 1998
- "Hershenov (David) - Can There Be Spatially Coincident Entities of the Same Kind?", Hershenov, 2003
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Coinciding Objects: In Defence of the ‘Standard Account’", Lowe
- "McGrath (Matthew) - Four-Dimensionalism and the Puzzles of Coincidence", McGrath, 2007
- "Oderberg (David) - Coincidence Under a Sortal", Oderberg, 1996
- "Shorter (J.M.) - On Coinciding in Space and Time", Shorter, 1977
- "Sidelle (Alan) - A Sweater Unraveled: Following One Thread of Thought for Avoiding Coincident Entities", Sidelle, 1998
- This is mostly a place-holder15.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (14/09/2020 00:08:38).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- This may be the place to start!
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020