- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Criteria of Identity1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 08/02/2018 18:24:29): Criteria of Identity
- I’m not sure whether I’ll have much more to say under this head than under the topic of Persistence Criteria4, though in fact – at the moment – I seem to have little to say on that topic, though more to say on Persistence5 itself.
- Maybe the distinction between Identity and Persistence criteria is that the former can be synchronic, or refer to multiple sightings of what may be the same thing. The latter refers to change6.
- We might want to be assured that the Morning Star is (identical to) the Evening Star, which is Venus – and – indeed – whether it is necessarily7 identical to Venus, given that it is Venus. Or so claims Saul Kripke. This is the topic of “Identity Criteria”, even if Venus remains unchanged during the period of interest.
- Persistence criteria – in this example – would relate to whether Venus would remain Venus if it merged with a large asteroid and a hunk broke off, or suchlike.
- For the moment, I just note that there are two categories of criterion:-
→ Metaphysical and
- Metaphysical criteria are those that, if they obtain, establish identity irrespective of whether anyone knows about them.
- Epistemological criteria reflect how we know that identity obtains.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read8, include9 the following:-
- "Hawley (Katherine) - Principles of Composition and Criteria of Identity", Hawley
- "Oderberg (David) - Continuity as the Criterion of Identity Over Time: The Classical Theory of Continuity", Oderberg
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Garbacz (Pawel) - What is a level of a criterion of identity?", Garbacz
- "Griffin (Nicholas) - Criteria Of Identity", Griffin
- "Hudson (Hud) - The Criterion of Personal Identity", Hudson
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Objects and Criteria of Identity", Lowe
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Sortal Terms and Criteria of Identity", Lowe
- "Lowe (E.J.) - What Is a Criterion Of Identity?", Lowe
- "Noonan (Harold) - Absolute Identity and Criteria of Identity", Noonan
- "Noonan (Harold) - Absolute Identity and Criteria of Identity Concluded", Noonan
- "Williamson (Timothy) - Criteria of Identity and the Axiom Of Choice", Williamson
- "Wollheim (Richard) - Are the criteria of identity that hold for a work of art in the different arts aesthetically relevant", Wollheim
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Criteria of Identity and the 'Identity Mystics'", Zimmerman
- This is mostly a place-holder10.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (08/02/2018 18:24:29).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018