- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Disembodied Existence1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 17/08/2018 17:35:31): Disembodied Existence
- As an Animalist4, I don’t hold out much hope for disembodied existence for such beings as ourselves.
- It is true that most people, most of the time, seem to have thought it possible – or even certain. Presumably it is closely related to the view that we are – or at least have – immortal souls5 that survive the death of our bodies. Maybe there are alternative “possibilities6”.
- Note that “disembodied” is sometimes used for “disembodied brains”. Since the brain is part of the body, I cover such possibilities under BIVs7.
- For a page of Links8 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read9, include10 the following:-
- "Hospers (John) - Is the Notion of Disembodied Existence Intelligible?", Hospers
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Review of Peter Unger's - 'All the Power in the World'", Lowe
- I’m not sure this is worth spending much time on, other than as a sub-plot of the investigation that we might be souls in Chapter_0211 (“What Are We12?”). However, a study-list might include:-
- "Blose (B.L.) - Materialism and Disembodied Minds", Blose
- "Carter (William) - Plantinga on Disembodied Existence", Carter
- "Drange (Theodore M.) - Conceptual Problems Confronting a Totally Disembodied Afterlife", Drange
- "Olson (Eric) - What Are We? Souls", Olson
- "Penelhum (Terence) - Survival and Disembodied Existence", Penelhum
- "Penelhum (Terence) - Immortality: Introduction", Penelhum
- "Perrett (Roy W.) - Disembodied Existence", Perrett
- "Simons (Peter) - Review of 'Kinds of Being: A Study of Individuation, Identity and the Logic of Sortal Terms' by E. J. Lowe", Simons
- "Tye (Michael) - On the Possibility of Disembodied Existence", Tye
- "Unger (Peter) - Why We May Become Disembodied, But To No Avail", Unger13
- This is a place-holder14.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (17/08/2018 17:35:31).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- But there are worries whether disembodied existence is even coherent for concrete particulars.
- I’ve not attended to these very seriously.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018