- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Duplication1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 31/08/2017 19:35:02): Duplication
- Duplicate objects are – to use the definition in "Sider (Ted) - Naturalness, Intrinsicality, and Duplication" – “exactly similar, considered as they are in themselves”.
- There is considerable overlap between this topic and two other topics:-
→ Replication4, which may well be the same thing (though not restricted to a mere doubling), and
→ Reduplication Objections5
- The motivation for this Note comes mainly from the above Reduplication objections – where some putative change appears to preserve identity, but cannot for logical reasons, as explained in that Note.
- If I accept Lewis’s perdurantist6 thesis, the straightforward objection to the identification of the duplicate with the original is undermined – they simply share stages. However, there are still causal chain7 problems to address, and those of physical continuity8.
- While cloning9 falls under this head, there is no identity10 preservation, even under a perdurantist11 thesis, as there are no shared stages, just shared genetic material.
- While I have a categorised reading-list associated with this topic, there’s not much that’s relevant other than works quoted above and:-
- "Sidelle (Alan) - Finding an Intrinsic Account of Identity: What is the Source of Duplication Cases?"
- This is mostly a place-holder12.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (31/08/2017 19:35:02).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018