- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Explanation1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 12/02/2018 13:01:55): Explanation
- I describe my project4 as one of “inference to the best explanation”, so I need to give an account of what an explanation is.
- I have certain prejudices as to what an explanation is – a bias towards modern scientific as against Aristotelian forms of explanation, whereby an explanation has to fill in the details of mechanism, hopefully with quantification, rather than be vaguely gesturing.
- I need to define and defend this position, but as it’s methodological and somewhat peripheral – without causing too much of a diversion from my main concerns. I can’t get into a full-blown study of the philosophy of science.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read5, include6 the following:-
- "Harman (Gilbert) - The Inference to the Best Explanation", Harman
- "Hempel (Carl) - Theories and Theoretical Explanation", Hempel
- "Hornsby (Jennifer) - Mind, Causation and Explanation - Introduction: Personal and Subpersonal Levels", Hornsby
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Carruthers (Peter) - Knowledge By Best Explanation", Carruthers
- "Earman (John), Ed. - Inference, Explanation and Other Philosophical Frustrations", Earman
- "Haslanger (Sally) - Persistence, Change, and Explanation", Haslanger
- "Kment (Boris) - Counterfactuals and Explanation", Kment
- "Lipton (Peter) - Inference to the Best Explanation", Lipton
- "Nozick (Robert) - Philosophical Explanations", Nozick
- "Ruben (David-Hillel) - Explaining Explanation", Ruben
- This is mostly a place-holder7.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (12/02/2018 13:01:55).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018