- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Functionalism1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 21/07/2015 16:37:55): Functionalism
- Functionalism is a thesis in the philosophy of mind – originally in contrast to the then alternatives of behaviorism and the identity theory – to the effect that “mental states are identified by what they do rather than by what they are made of” (see "Polger (Thomas) - Functionalism").
- However, it has been co-opted by Sydney Shoemaker to support the cause of the Psychological View4 of PID.
- Consequently, I’ve listed in the reading list below the two papers Shoemaker cites as central to his thesis
- Shoemaker is a materialist5 as far as the mind-body problem is concerned (at least in contrast with Swinburne’s soul view). But, this does not carry over into PID, either as the physical6 view or animalism7.
- I am “against” functionalism in the philosophy of mind, and “against” the psychological view of PID, but need to engage with Shoemaker to explain why.
- A study-list might include:-
- "Agar (Nicholas) - Functionalism and Personal Identity", Agar
- "Cole (David) - Artificial Intelligence and Personal Identity", Cole
- "Fuller (Gary) - Functionalism and Personal Identity", Fuller
- "Olson (Eric) - What Does Functionalism Tell Us About Personal Identity", Olson
- "Polger (Thomas) - Functionalism", Polger8
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Personal Identity: a Materialist Account", Shoemaker9
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Self and Substance", Shoemaker
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Functionalism and Personal Identity - a Reply", Shoemaker
- "Wilson (David C.) - Functionalism and Moral Personhood: One View Considered", Wilson
- This is a place-holder10. See the categorised reading-list below.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (21/07/2015 16:37:55).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Footnote 8: Footnote 9: This, and the folowing paper by Shoemaker, are the targets (says Shoemaker) of the papers by Agar and Olson.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018