- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'General Surveys1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 26/02/2018 19:04:48): General Surveys
- Before starting on the detail of research in Personal Identity, it is necessary to be familiar with the terrain. This involves reading some general introductory books, reading the papers in the standard collections, and attending (or reviewing the output from) lectures at the BA, MA and MPhil level.
- A good place to start this mapping exercise is with "Olson (Eric) - Personal Identity - Oxford Bibliographies Online". I seem to have everything, more or less, on this list – though the list deals with more than general surveys. I’ve incorporated everything Olson recommends in his “General Overviews”, “Textbooks” and “Anthologies” into this Note.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read4, include5 the following:-
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- Introductory or General Books / Papers
- "Baillie (James) - Problems in Personal Identity", Baillie
- "Bourgeois (Warren) - Persons: What Philosophers Say about You", Bourgeois
- "DeGrazia (David) - Human Identity and Bioethics", DeGrazia
- "Garrett (Brian) - Personal Identity", Garrett
- "Hawley (Katherine) - How Things Persist", Hawley
- "Heller (Mark) - The Ontology of Physical Objects: Four-Dimensional Hunks of Matter", Heller
- "Hirsch (Eli) - The Concept of Identity", Hirsch
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Kinds of Being: Study of Individuation, Identity and the Logic of Sortal Terms", Lowe
- "Lowe (E.J.) - The Possibility of Metaphysics: Substance, Identity and Time", Lowe
- "MacBride (Fraser), Ed. - Identity and Modality", MacBride
- "Margolis (Joseph) - Persons and Minds: Prospects of Nonreductive Materialism", Margolis
- "Olson (Eric) - Personal Identity (Stanford, 2015)", Olson
- "Reuscher (John) - Essays on the Metaphysical Foundations of Personal Identity", Reuscher
- "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Ethics: A Brief Introduction", Shoemaker
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) & Swinburne (Richard) - Personal Identity", Shoemaker & Swinburne
- "Slors (Marc) - Personal Identity and the Metaphysics of Mind", Slors
- "Slors (Marc) - The Diachronic Mind: An Essay on Personal Identity, Psychological Continuity and the Mind-Body Problem", Slors
- "Trupp (Andreas) - Why We Are Not What We Think We Are: A New Approach to the Nature of Personal Identity and of Time", Trupp
- "Vesey (Godfrey N.A.) - Personal Identity: A Philosophical Analysis", Vesey.
- Standard Collections
- "Blatti (Stephan) & Snowdon (Paul), Eds - Animalism: New Essays on Persons, Animals, and Identity", Blatti & Snowdon
- "Dancy (Jonathan), Ed. - Reading Parfit", Dancy
- "Gasser (Georg) & Stefan (Matthias), Eds. - Personal Identity: Complex or Simple?", Gasser & Stefan
- "Harris (Henry) - Identity - Essays Based on Herbert Spencer Lectures Given in the University of Oxford", Harris
- "Haslanger (Sally) & Kurtz (Roxanne), Eds. - Persistence : Contemporary Readings", Haslanger & Kurtz
- "Kolak (Daniel) & Martin (Raymond), Eds. - Self and Identity: Contemporary Philosophical Issues", Kolak & Martin
- "Martin (Raymond) & Barresi (John), Eds. - Personal Identity", Martin & Barresi
- "Noonan (Harold), Ed. - Identity", Noonan
- "Noonan (Harold), Ed. - Personal Identity (Readings)", Noonaan
- "Paul (Ellen), Miller (Fred) & Paul (Jeffrey), Eds. - Personal Identity", Paul
- "Perry (John) - Identity, Personal Identity and the Self", Perry
- "Petrus (Klaus), Ed. - On Human Persons", Petrus
- "Rea (Michael), Ed. - Material Constitution - A Reader", Rea
- "Rorty (Amelie), Ed. - The Identities of Persons", Rorty
- "Zimmerman (Dean) & Gendler (Tamar Szabo), Eds. - Monist Special Issue: Personal Identity", Zimmerman & Gendler
- "Crane (Tim) - Substance (4-Lecture BA Course)", Crane
- "Papineau (David) - Research Seminar on Personal Identity", Papineau
- "Snowdon (Paul) - Personal Identity (Lectures 1 - 4)", Snowdon8.
- This is mostly a place-holder9.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (26/02/2018 19:04:48).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
Footnote 6: Footnote 7:
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
- This is the series of lectures that first engaged me with the topic of Personal Identity.
- I attended some Graduate Seminars on Personal Identity by Paul Snowdon (not the lectures above), but I can’t find any handouts.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018