- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Homo Sapiens1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 28/02/2018 18:40:19): Homo Sapiens
- If animalism4 is correct – and we are human animals – then we are members of the species homo sapiens.
- Also relevant is Stephan Blatti’s “Animal Ancestors” Argument for Animalism (see "Blatti (Stephan) - A New Argument for Animalism", etc.).
- Consequently, this page probably ought to say something about species, their reality and their status as natural kind5 concepts.
- I ought also to investigate human evolution, and just when our hominid ancestors became persons6. As these ancestors are all gone, investigation of the capacities of our nearest neighbours – the great apes – must make do as a proxy.
- I don’t think it’s a conceptual truth that the only persons are human persons7. Consequently, I do not deny personhood to extinct hominids, or (possibly) to the great apes, dolphins, Klingons, machines, gods, angels and such-like.
- However, I do think it’s an empirical truth that the only persons whose personhood we reliably know anything about are human persons, members of the species homo sapiens so think we should start there.
- Also, my main interest is in human persons, so this will be my initial focus.
- Since, I will need to consider whether human persons can exist in non-human bodies8 (transmigration9, mechanisation10, resurrection11 bodies) or even as disembodied12 minds13, I will need to move on from this base camp.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read14, include15 the following:-
- "Krause (Johannes) - Our Ancestral Cave Gets More Crowded", Krause
- "McKie (Robin) - Out of Africa: The Sequel", McKie
- "Olson (Eric) - Human People Or Human Animals", Olson
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Berry (R.J.) & Noble (T.A.) - Darwin, Creation and the Fall", Berry
- "De Waal (Frans) - Our Inner Ape: The Best and Worst of Human Nature", De Waal
- "De Waal (Frans) - Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved", De Waal
- "De Waal (Frans) - The Ape and the Sushi Master: Cultural Reflections of a Primatologist", De Waal
- "Eccles (John) - Evolution of the Brain, Creation of the Self", Eccles
- "Ghiselin (Michael) - Metaphysics and the Origin of Species", Ghiselin
- "Harari (Yuval Noah) - Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind", Harari
- "Hartl (Daniel L.) - Our Uncertain Heritage: Genetics & Human Diversity", Hartl
- "Johanson (Donald) & Shreeve (James) - Lucy's Child: The Discovery of a Human Ancestor", Johanson
- "Kitcher (Patricia) - Natural Kinds and Unnatural Persons", Kitcher
- "LaPorte (Joseph) - Essential Membership", LaPorte
- "Lieberman (Philip) - Eve Spoke - Human Language and Human Evolution", Lieberman
- "Savage-Rumbaugh (E.Sue) & Lewin (Roger) - Kanzi: Ape at the Brink of the Human Mind", Savage-Rumbaugh
→ "Pearce (E.K. Victor) - Review of 'Kanzi: Ape at the Brink of the Human Mind' by Sue Savage-Rumbaugh & Roger Lewin"
- "Schick (Kathy D.) & Toth (Nicholas) - Making Silent Stones Speak: Human Evolution and the Dawn of Technology", Schick
- "Suddendorf (Thomas) - The Gap", Suddendorf
- "Tattersall (Ian), Delson (Eric) & Van Couvering (John), Eds. - Encyclopaedia of Human Evolution and Prehistory", Tattersall
- "Young (J.Z.) - An Introduction to the Study of Man", Young
- This is mostly a place-holder16.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (28/02/2018 18:40:19).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018