This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Human Persons' during my Thesis research, as from 2011. Click here for Note.
Write-up1 (as at 01/01/2018 06:28:48): Human Persons
- I can’t think I’ll have much to say here that’s not covered under either human beings3 or persons4.
- See also my Note on Non-human persons5.
- Maybe what I can cover here is whether all persons are – in actuality if not conceptually – human.
- Angels and aliens are discussed in "Wiggins (David) - Reply to Snowdon (Persons and Personal Identity)" and the claim is that insofar as we can conceptualise them, they are animals6. So they aren’t counter-examples to the supposition that all persons are animals (though this doesn’t rule out non-human animals being persons).
- Wiggins also discusses robot-persons. If, in order to satisfy the conditions of personhood, these end up as molecule-by-molecule clones7 of animals, these are animals also.
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- This is mostly a place-holder8. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (01/01/2018 06:28:48).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018