- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Human Persons1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 17/01/2018 18:17:17): Human Persons
- I can’t think I’ll have much to say here that’s not covered under either human beings4 or persons5.
- See also my Note on Non-human persons6.
- Angels and aliens are discussed in "Wiggins (David) - Reply to Snowdon (Persons and Personal Identity)" and the claim is that insofar as we can conceptualise them, they are animals7. So they aren’t counter-examples to the supposition that all persons are animals (though this doesn’t rule out non-human animals being persons).
- Wiggins also discusses robot-persons. If, in order to satisfy the conditions of personhood, these end up as molecule-by-molecule clones8 of animals, these are animals also.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read9, include10 the following:-
- "Moreland (J.P.) & Rae (Scott) - Establishing a Framework For Approaching Human Personhood", Moreland & Rae
- "Olson (Eric) - Review of Hud Hudson's 'A Materialist Metaphysics of the Human Person'", Olson
- "Petrus (Klaus), Ed. - On Human Persons", Petrus
- "Puccetti (Roland) - Human Persons", Puccetti
- "Selling (Joseph) - The Human Person", Selling
- "Wiggins (David) - Reply to Snowdon (Persons and Personal Identity)", Wiggins
- A reading list11 (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Braine (David) - The Human Person: Animal and Spirit", Braine
- "Corcoran (Kevin), Ed. - Soul, Body and Survival: Essays on the Metaphysics of Human Persons", Corcoran
- "DeGrazia (David) - Human Persons: Numerical Identity and Essence", DeGrazia
- "Green (Joel B.) - Restoring the Human Person: New Testament Voices for a Wholistic and Social Anthropology", Green
- "Hudson (Hud) - A Materialist Metaphysics of the Human Person", Hudson
→ "Moreland (J.P.) - Review of Hud Hudson 'A Materialist Metaphysics of the Human Person'", Moreland
- "Quinn (Philip L.) - On the Intrinsic Value of Human Persons", Quinn
- "Smith (Peter) - Human Persons", Smith
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) & Zimmerman (Dean) - Persons: Human and Divine", Van Inwagen & Zimmerman
- "Wiggins (David) - Sameness, Substance, and the Human Person", Wiggins
- This is mostly a place-holder12. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (17/01/2018 18:17:17).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
- As noted above, this Note is subordinate to those on Persons and Human Beings, where most of the reading will lie.
- The choice depends mostly on the accident of the use of the term “human person”.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020