- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Individual1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 17/08/2018 17:35:31): Individual
- We often refer to persons4, or human beings5, as “individuals”, but maybe this is just an abbreviation for “individual X”, where “X” is “person”, “human being”, and such-like.
- It may betray confusion or uncertainty about the sort6 of thing we are7, an equation of the various possibilities, or the assumption of one position as the only available one.
- Also covered under this head will be the problem of individuation – how to tell one thing from another.
- For a page of Links8 to this Note, Click here. Because of the huge number of links associated with “Individual(s)”, I’ve restricted the list to “Individuation”.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read9, include10 the following:-
- "Anscombe (G.E.M.) - The Principle of Individuation: II", Anscombe, 1953
- "Barber (Kenneth F.) - Individuation and Identity in Early Modern Philosophy (Descartes to Kant): Introduction", Barber, 1994
- "Quine (W.V.) - Review of Milton Munitz's 'Identity and Individuation'", Quine, 1972
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Individuality", Van Inwagen, 2009
- "Wiggins (David) - Identity & Spatio-temporal Continuity: Introduction", Wiggins
- "Wiggins (David) - Preface: Sameness and Substance", Wiggins
- "Wiggins (David) - Preface: Sameness and Substance Renewed", Wiggins
- "Wiggins (David) & Woods (Michael J.) - Symposium: The Individuation of Things and Places", Wiggins & Woods, 1963
- "Wilson (Jack) - Biological Individuality - The identity and Persistence of Living Entities", Wilson
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Allaire (Edwin B.) - Things, Relations and Identity", Allaire
- "Ayers (Michael R.) - Individuals Without Sortals", Ayers, 1974
- "Bergmann (Gustav) - Individuals", Bergmann, 1958
- "Bergmann (Gustav) - Strawson's Ontology", Bergmann, 1960
- "Castaneda (Hector-Neri) - Individuation and Non-Identity: A New Look", Castaneda, 1975
- "Collier (John) - Self-Organization, Individuation and Identity", Collier
- "DeGrazia (David) - Prenatal Identity: Genetic Interventions, Reproductive Choices", DeGrazia
- "Doyle (Robert O.) - The Problem of Individuation", Doyle
- "Gabbay (Dov M.) & Moravcsik (Julius) - Sameness and Individuation", Gabbay & Moravcsik, 1973
- "Lewis (David) - Individuation By Acquaintance and By Stipulation", Lewis, 1983
- "Lombard (Lawrence B.) - Individuation", Lombard
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Individuation", Lowe, 2003
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Individuals, Sorts, and Instantiation", Lowe, 2009
- "Munitz (Milton) - Identity and Individuation", Munitz, 1970
- "Olson (Eric) - What Are We? Animals", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - What Are We? Brains", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - What Are We? Bundles", Olson
- "Perry (John) - The Two Faces of Identity", Perry
- "Quinton (Anthony) - Individuation", Quinton, 1973
- "Rosenkrantz (Gary) - The Problem of Individuation", Rosenkrantz, 1993
- "Russell (Bertrand) - The Principle of Individuation", Russell, 1948
- "Sidelle (Alan) - Necessity, Essence, and Individuation", Sidelle, 1989
- "Strawson (Peter) - Individuals: An Essay in Descriptive Metaphysics", Strawson, 1960
- "Wiggins (David) - Essentialism, Continuity, and Identity", Wiggins
- "Williams (Bernard) - Personal Identity and Individuation", Williams, 1957
- "Williams (Bernard) - Strawson On Individuals", Williams, 1961
- "Williamson (Timothy) - Vagueness, Identity and Leibniz's Law", Williamson
- This is mostly a place-holder11.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (17/08/2018 17:35:31).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- If only a “non-updating” run has been made, the links are only one-way – ie. from the page of links to the objects that reference this Note by mentioning the appropriate key-word(s). The links are also only indicative, as they haven’t yet been confirmed as relevant.
- Once an updating run has been made, links are both ways, and links from this Notes page (from the “Authors, Books & Papers Citing this Note” and “Summary of Note Links to this Page” sections) are to the “point of link” within the page rather than to the page generically. Links from the “links page” remain generic.
- There are two sorts of updating runs – for Notes and other Objects. The reason for this is that Notes are archived, and too many archived versions would be created if this process were repeatedly run.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018