- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Individual1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 14/01/2017 20:18:14): Individual
- We often refer to persons, or human beings, as “individuals”, but maybe this is just an abbreviation for “individual X”, where “X” is “person”, “human being”, and such-like.
- It may betray confusion or uncertainty about the sort of thing we are4, an equation of the various possibilities, or the assumption of one position as the only available one.
- Also covered under this head will be the problem of individuation – how to tell one thing from another.
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Anscombe (G.E.M.) - The Principle of Individuation: II", Anscombe, 1953
- "Ayers (Michael R.) - Individuals Without Sortals", Ayers, 1974
- "Barber (Kenneth F.) - Individuation and Identity in Early Modern Philosophy (Descartes to Kant): Introduction", Barber, 1994
- "Bergmann (Gustav) - Individuals", Bergmann, 1958
- "Bergmann (Gustav) - Strawson's Ontology", Bergmann, 1960
- "Castaneda (Hector-Neri) - Individuation and Non-Identity: A New Look", Castaneda, 1975
- "Gabbay (Dov M.) & Moravcsik (Julius) - Sameness and Individuation", Gabbay+ Moravcsik, 1973
- "Lewis (David) - Individuation By Acquaintance and By Stipulation", Lewis, 1983
- "Lombard (Lawrence B.) - Individuation", Lombard
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Individuation", Lowe, 2003
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Individuals, Sorts, and Instantiation", Lowe, 2009
- "Munitz (Milton) - Identity and Individuation", Munitz, 1970
- "Quine (W.V.) - Review of Milton Munitz's 'Identity and Individuation'", Quine, 1972
- "Quinton (Anthony) - Individuation", Quinton, 1973
- "Rosenkrantz (Gary) - The Problem of Individuation", Rosenkrantz, 1993
- "Russell (Bertrand) - The Principle of Individuation", Russell, 1948
- "Sidelle (Alan) - Necessity, Essence, and Individuation", Sidelle, 1989
- "Strawson (Peter) - Individuals: An Essay in Descriptive Metaphysics", Strawson, 1960
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Individuality", Van Inwagen, 2009
- "Wiggins (David) & Woods (Michael J.) - Symposium: The Individuation of Things and Places", Wiggins & Woods, 1963
- "Williams (Bernard) - Personal Identity and Individuation", Williams, 1957
- "Williams (Bernard) - Strawson On Individuals", Williams, 1961
- Also, see Bob Doyle: Individuation.
- This is mostly a place-holder5. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (14/01/2017 20:18:14).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018