- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Logic of Identity1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 03/02/2018 00:20:10): Logic of Identity
- Identity as a logical concept is – or ought to be – rather uninteresting.
- There’s only one type of identity – that which satisfies Leibniz’s Law4 of the Indiscernibility of Identicals and is an equivalence relation.
- While rejecting them, I will still need to consider various deviant “identities” for the light they shed on the issues at hand; in particular:-
- Relative Identity5,
- Vague Identity6,
- Indeterminate Identity7,
- Contingent Identity8, and
- Occasional Identity9.
- Wrong answers to tough questions can be enlightening.
- I intend to cover the bulk of the work under the heads of the notes linked to.
- Currently, standard Identity is covered under Leibniz10, though maybe it woud be better parked here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read11, include12 the following:-
- "Brennan (Andrew) - Conditions of Identity: Introduction", Brennan
- "Crane (Tim) & Farkas (Katalin) - Identity: Introduction", Crane
- "Frankfurt (Harry) - Identification and Externality", Frankfurt
- "Hirsch (Eli) - The Concept of Identity", Hirsch, 1982
- "Hossack (Keith) - Five Lectures on the Logic and Metaphysics of Identity", Hossack
- "Jubien (Michael) - The Myth of Identity Conditions", Jubien, 1996
- "McGinn (Colin) - Identity", McGinn, 2000
- "McGinn (Colin) - Précis of 'Logical Properties: Identity, Existence, Prediction, Necessity, Truth'", McGinn
- "Noonan (Harold) - Identity and Determinacy", Noonan, 2003
- "Olson (Eric) - Persistence", Olson
- "Perry (John) - The Importance of Being Identical", Perry
- "Quine (W.V.) - Identity, Ostension, and Hypostasis", Quine, 1950
- "Quine (W.V.) - Review of Milton Munitz's 'Identity and Individuation'", Quine
- "Rey (Georges) - Survival", Rey
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Individuality", Van Inwagen
- "Williams (Christopher) - Being, Identity and Truth: Preface", Williams
- "Williams (Christopher) - What Is Identity?: Introduction and Analytical Table of Contents", Williams
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Akiba (Ken) - Identity Is Simple", Akiba, 2000
- "Baxter (Donald L.M.) - Identity in the Loose and Popular Sense", Baxter, 1988
- "Benfield (David) & Erwin (Edward) - Identity, Schmidentity: It's Not All the Same", Benfield+Erwin, 1975
- "Bostock (David) - Kripke on Identity and Necessity", Bostock, 1977
- "Brennan (Andrew) - Conditions of Identity", Brennan, 1988
- "Brody (Baruch) - Identity and Essence", Brody, 1980
- "Butchvarov (Panayot) - Identity", Butchvarov, 1977
- "Dummett (Michael) - Identity", Dummett, 1981
- "Hill (Claire Ortiz) - Rethinking Identity and Metaphysics: On the Foundations of Analytic Philosophy", Hill, 1997
- "Hughes (Christopher) - Kripke: Names, Necessity, and Identity", Hughes, 2004
- "Jubien (Michael) - Identity", Jubien, 1997
- "Monaghan (P.X.) - Property Possession, Identity, and the Nature of an Entity", Monaghan, 2005
- "Morris (Thomas) - Understanding Identity Statements", Morris, 1984
- "Oderberg (David) - The Metaphysics of Identity Over Time", Oderberg, 1993
- "Perry (John) - The Two Faces of Identity", Perry, 2002
- "Quine (W.V.) - Methods of Logic", Quine, 1972 (Section 40 “Identity”, pp. 221-6)
- "Salmon (Nathan) - The Fact that x=y", Salmon, 1987
- "Salmon (Nathan) - Identity Facts", Salmon, 2002
- "Wertheimer (Roger) - Identity: Logic, Ontology, Epistemology", Werthheimer, 1998
- "Wiggins (David) - Identity and Supervenience", Wiggins, 2002
- "Williams (Bernard) - Identity and Identities", Williams, 1995
- "Williams (Christopher) - What is Identity?", Williams, 1989
- "Williams (Christopher) - Selfsame", Williams, 1992
- "Williamson (Timothy) - Identity and Discrimination", Williamson, 2013
- Also, see Bob Doyle: Identity.
- This is mostly a place-holder13. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (03/02/2018 00:20:10).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019