- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Mereology1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 02/09/2019 00:36:00): Mereology
- I (intend to) address this topic in Chapter 074 (The Constitution View5 and Arguments for It) of my Thesis. While Baker’s understanding of constitution is distinct from a mereological one, it is necessary to understand mereology.
- Why is mereology important, then? I would include the following reasons relevant to my Thesis:-
- Lots of arguments relevant to multiple occupancy theses depend on mereological issues. See Dion and Theon6 and the like. These are collated under the topic of Coincidence7.
- Mereological Essentialism8 has an impact on the whole notion of persistence. If it is taken seriously, we may have to countenance Scattered Objects9 or no physical thing would persist for long on this view.
- The DAUP (Doctrine of Arbitrary Undetached Parts) impacts on whether such things as brains exist. I10 can’t be a brain11 if brains12 don’t exist.
- It impacts on issues of vague identity13 and Olson14’s Thinking Animal Argument15.
- While specific discussion of Baker16’s Constitution View17 will be discussed under the Note dedicated to the CV, and also that which discusses the Objections to the CV18, there is still an overlap between this Note and that on Constitution19. While this is inevitable, as a general principle this Note will discuss whether proper parts of things exist and – if so – how they make up the things of which they are parts. The note on Constitution – which overlaps with that on Coincidence – will focus on how one whole things can “constitute” another whole thing. All with a focus on Personal Identity, of course.
- For a page of Links20 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read21, include the following:-
- "Carter (William) - In Defense of Undetached Parts", Carter, 1983
- "Jubien (Michael) - Things and Their Parts", Jubien
- "Olson (Eric) - Why I Have No Hands", Olson
- "Parsons (Josh) - Dion, Theon, and DAUP", Parsons
- A study-list might include (in addition22 to the above):-
- "Cartwright (Richard) - Scattered Objects", Cartwright, 1975
- "Chisholm (Roderick) - Mereological Essentialism", Chisholm
- "Chisholm (Roderick) - Mereological Essentialism: Further Considerations", Chisholm, 1975
- "Chisholm (Roderick) - Parts As Essential To Their Wholes", Chisholm, 1973
- "Doyle (Robert O.) - Composition (Parts and Wholes)", Doyle
- "Hawley (Katherine) - Mereology, Modality and Magic", Hawley, 2010
- "Hudson (Hud) - Vagueness and Composition", Hudson, 2001
- "Hughes (Christopher) - Is a Thing Just the Sum of Its Parts", Hughes, 1986
- "Leonard (Henry S.) & Goodman (Nelson) - The Calculus of Individuals and its Uses", Leonard & Goodman
- "Lewis (David) - Rearrangement of Particles: Reply to Lowe", Lewis, 1988
- "Lewis (David) - Parts of Classes", Lewis, 1991
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Entity, Identity and Unity", Lowe, 1998
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Parts and Wholes", Lowe, 2009
- "McDaniel (Kris) - Composition as Identity Does Not Entail Universalism", McDaniel, 2010
- "McKinnon (Neil) - A New Problem of the Many", McKinnon, 2008
- "Merricks (Trenton) - Composition as Identity, Mereological Essentialism, and Counterpart Theory", Merricks, 1999
- "Plantinga (Alvin) - On Mereological Essentialism", Plantinga, 1975
- "Scaltsas (Theodore) - Is a Whole Identical to its Parts?", Scaltsas, 1990
- "Simons (Peter) - Parts: A Study in Ontology", Simons, 1987
- "Simons (Peter) - Essential Parts", Simons, 1987
- "Sutton (Catherine S.) - Composition as Identity - A Resource Page", Sutton, 2008
- "Van Cleve (James) - Mereological Essentialism, Mereological Conjunctivism, and Identity Through Time", Van Cleve, 1986
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Material Beings", Van Inwagen
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Composition As Identity", Van Inwagen, 1994
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - The Doctrine of Arbitrary Undetached Parts", Van Inwagen
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - When are Objects Parts?", Van Inwagen
- "Varzi (Achille) - Parts, Wholes, and Part-Whole Relations: The Prospects of Mereotopology", Varzi
- "Varzi (Achille) - Mereology", Varzi
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Criteria of Identity and the 'Identity Mystics'", Zimmerman
- This is mostly a place-holder23.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (02/09/2019 00:36:00).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- This list is rather too long but, even so, much of interest has been omitted.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019