- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Metamorphosis1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- Click here for Note.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 02/09/2019 00:36:00): Metamorphosis
- Metamorphosis involves a radical and fairly rapid – by comparison with “business as usual” growth and maturation – change of bodily form in the same4 individual5. Catastrophic injury doesn’t count.
- Tadpoles to frogs and caterpillars to butterflies are, in seems to me, different kinds of cases of metamorphosis. If there is anything it’s like to be a caterpillar or a tadpole, the caterpillar’s experience of metamorphosis will differ from that of the tadpole’s, as the caterpillar transforms into the butterfly via goo, whereas the tadpole’s metamorphosis into the frog is continuous6 with it remaining an active organism7.
- Presumably there’s no more a true metamorphosis8 in tadpole to frog than there is in fetus9 to neonate in humans and mammals generally? The difference between the maturation of a tadpole and fetus is simply the environment and food-source? Maybe not, since the tadpole’s gills and tail have to be re-absorbed and the material used for the frog’s front and rear legs respectively. The use of the collagenase enzyme in this process is described in detail in "Al-Khalili (Jim) & McFadden (Johnjoe) - Life on the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology", Chapter 3, pp. 110-112.
- If the account of Sortals10 is correct, metamorphosis involving a change of Ultimate Sortal is a logical impossibility (in the sense of the very same thing metamorphosing as in the frog to prince case). I suppose, in this last case, we might have the Ultimate Sortal as Organism11 of which Frog and Prince (or Human Being12) are Phase Sortals13, but then, what is an Ultimate Sortal in one context is a Phase Sortal in another. Is this an issue?
- How should the (supposed) case of bodily changing to be expected of Christian at Christ’s return be understood? In that case – see 1 Corinthians 15:5214 – rather than dying and being resurrected15 to a new body, the living body is “… changed. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump”. Is this a case of metamorphosis?
- "Bynum (Caroline) - Metamorphosis and Identity" is presumably the jumping-off point for this topic.
- For a page of Links16 to this Note, Click here. In the reading lists below, some of the items may only touch on this topic tangentially.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read17 include the following:-
- "Arnold (Keith) - The Subject of Radical Change", Arnold
- "Baillie (James) - What Am I?", Baillie
- "Baillie (James) - Identity, Survival, and Sortal Concepts", Baillie
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Big-Tent Metaphysics", Baker
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Reply to Olson", Baker
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Personal Identity Over Time", Baker
- "Gasser (Georg) - Personal Identity and Resurrection: Introduction", Gasser
- "Johnston (Mark) - Human Beings", Johnston
- "Kafka (Franz), Pasley (Malcolm) - Metamorphosis and Other Stories", Kafka
- "Kazez (Jean) - The Philosophical Parent: Asking the Hard Questions About Having and Raising Children", Kazez
- "Lockwood (Michael) - When Does a Life Begin?", Lockwood
- "Markosian (Ned) - Three Problems for Olson's Account of Personal Identity", Markosian
- "Olson (Eric) - Replies to Baker, Markosian & Zimmerman", Olson
- "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Immortality", Shoemaker
- "Wilson (Jack) - Beyond Horses and Oak Trees: A New Theory of Individuation for Living Entities", Wilson
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Bynum (Caroline) - Metamorphosis and Identity", Bynum
- "Price (Marjorie) - Identity Through Time", Price
- "Sacks (Oliver) - An Anthropologist on Mars: Seven Paradoxical Tales", Sacks
- "Wexelblatt (Robert) - The Higher Parody: Ivan Ilych's Metamorphosis and the Death of Gregor Samsa", Wexelblatt18
- This is mostly a place-holder19.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (02/09/2019 00:36:00).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- This begs the question somewhat!
- This is a bit of a stretch, as “Tadpole → Frog” is a paradigm case of Metamorphosis.
- This may be an interesting comparison of two novellas, both germane to my thesis.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019