- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Olson1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 02/11/2018 10:24:58): Olson
- Eric Olson is important as the most vigorous contemporary defender of the Animalist4 position.
- Follow this link5 for other prominent animalists – together with their major works on the topic.
- Animalism is in opposition to the various other views on Personal Identity that give prominence to our psychology6.
- My thesis will focus on the tension between these two views – in particular contrasting Animalism with the Constitution View7 of Lynne Rudder Baker (for Baker, see also this Note8) for which Olson has a particular antipathy.
- Rather than repeat Olson’s arguments here, maybe inconsistently with what I’ve written elsewhere, this Note will simply list Olson’s arguments in favour of Anmalism, and against the alternatives, with links to further discussion.
- The Thinking Animal Argument9,
- Etc. to be supplied!
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read10, which may be by Olson or arguments against him, include11 the following:-
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - What Am I?", Written-up
- "Marshall (Richard) & Olson (Eric) - Eric T. Olson: The Philosopher with No Hands", Written-up
- "Olson (Eric) - An Argument for Animalism",
- "Olson (Eric) - Animalism and the Corpse Problem",
- "Olson (Eric) - Animalism and the Remnant-Person Problem", Write-up started
- "Olson (Eric) - Are People Animals?",
- "Olson (Eric) - Dion's Foot",
- "Olson (Eric) - Human People Or Human Animals",
- "Olson (Eric) - Immanent Causation and Life After Death", Written-up12
- "Olson (Eric) - Imperfect Identity",
- "Olson (Eric) - Is Psychology Relevant To Personal Identity?",
- "Olson (Eric) - Life After Death and the Devastation of the Grave", Written-up
- "Olson (Eric) - Material Coincidence and the Indiscernibility Problem",
- "Olson (Eric) - On Parfit's View That We Are Not Human Beings",
- "Olson (Eric) - Persistence", Written-up
- "Olson (Eric) - Personal Identity",
- "Olson (Eric) - Personal Identity (Stanford, 2002)",
- "Olson (Eric) - Personal Identity and the Radiation Argument",
- "Olson (Eric) - Precis of 'The Human Animal'", Written-up13
- "Olson (Eric) - Psychology and Personal Identity", Written-up
- "Olson (Eric) - Relativism and Persistence",
- "Olson (Eric) - Replies to Baker, Markosian & Zimmerman", Written-up: Baker14, Markosian15, Zimmerman16
- "Olson (Eric) - Reply to Lynne Rudder Baker",
- "Olson (Eric) - Review of 'Persons: Human and Divine'", Written-up17
- "Olson (Eric) - Review of Hud Hudson's 'A Materialist Metaphysics of the Human Person'",
- "Olson (Eric) - The Human Animal - Personal Identity Without Psychology",
- "Olson (Eric) - The Human Animal: Introduction", Written-up
- "Olson (Eric) - The Human Animal: References", Written-up
- "Olson (Eric) - The Person and the Corpse",
- "Olson (Eric) - There Is No Problem of the Self",
- "Olson (Eric) - Thinking Animals and the Constitution View",
- "Olson (Eric) - Thinking Animals and the Reference of 'I'",
- "Olson (Eric) - Warum wir Tiere sind (Why we are animals)",
- "Olson (Eric) - Was I Ever a Fetus?",
- "Olson (Eric) - Was Jekyll Hyde?",
- "Olson (Eric) - What Are We?", Written-up18
- "Olson (Eric) - What Are We? Contents + References", Written-up
- "Olson (Eric) - What Are We? The Question",
- "Olson (Eric) - Why I Have No Hands",
- "Olson (Eric) - Why Is Death Bad?",
- "Olson (Eric) - Why We Need Not Accept the Psychological Approach", Write-up started
- "Olson (Eric), Etc. - Abstracta Special Issue on 'The Human Animal'", Written-up
- The categorised reading-list below ought only to list those books and papers by Olson relevant to the topic of my Thesis, but needs checking.
- The reading list that accompanies Eric Olson contains all the papers by Eric Olson in my possession, whether or not they are relevant to the topic of personal identity.
- The pseudo-book "Olson (Eric) - Papers on Identity Boxes: Vol 13 (Olson)" contains those papers by Olson of which I have print-outs or photocopies. Despite its title, not all of these may be strictly to do with personal identity.
- A select reading list of items not covered above will appear below:-
- To be supplied.
- This is a place-holder19.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (02/11/2018 10:24:58).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018