- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Ontology1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 03/02/2020 23:58:34): Ontology
- Ontology is the study of what exists.
- In the context of the philosophy of personal identity, ontological questions ask what persons4 really are.
- Maybe it’s best first of all to step back, with Locke5, and consider the sorts6 of thing that persist and establish the persistence conditions7 for these sorts:
→ human beings10.
- The ontological question is whether – with Locke – we should add persons to this list.
- Baker11 holds the view that when a person comes into existence, so does a new entity, of a new kind12. A world without persons would be ontologically impoverished.
- But is this so, or do existing entities simply gain new properties13?
- We must even (on certain definitions of PERSON) ask whether there are any14, or whether the term can be eliminated. See:-
→ "Unger (Peter) - Why There Are No People" and
→ "Unger (Peter) - I Do Not Exist".
- Since Unger’s sorites15 arguments eliminate all material entities with parts16, not just persons (though the elimination of persons on this account depends on the assumption that they are material entities with parts) I, along with the later Unger, wish to reject such conclusions.
- The ontology of Artifacts17 has its own Note.
- The same goes for the Ontological Argument18
- For a page of Links19 to this Note, Click here. This list is far too long to be taken seriously, so I’ve ignored it for now. Far too many references are nothing to do with my main concerns.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read20, include the following:-
- "Ayers (Michael R.) - Locke (Ontology) - Introduction & Conclusion", Ayers
- "Bacon (John), Campbell (Keith) & Reinhardt (Lloyd) - Ontology, Causality and Mind: Preface", Bacon
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Review of 'What Are We? A Study in Personal Ontology' by Eric T. Olson", Baker
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - The Ontological Status of Persons", Baker
- "Baur (Michael) - Review of 'Kinds of Being: A Study of Individuation, Identity and the Logic of Sortal Terms' by E. J. Lowe", Baur
- "Baylis (Charles A.) - Review Article: The Identity of Indiscernibles", Baylis
- "Butchvarov (Panayot) - Being Qua Being: Introduction", Butchvarov
- "Casati (Roberto) & Varzi (Achille) - Holes", Casati
- "Crane (Tim) & Farkas (Katalin) - Being: Introduction", Crane
- "Fine (Arthur) - The Natural Ontological Attitude", Fine
- "Finn (Suki) - Is a hole a real thing, or just a place where something isn’t?", Finn
- "Hazlett (Allan) - Disassembly and Destruction", Hazlett
- "Hirsch (Eli) - Dividing Reality: Preface", Hirsch
- "Hornsby (Jennifer) - Ontological Questions - Introduction: Persons and Their States, and Events", Hornsby
- "Jubien (Michael) - Platonism", Jubien
- "Lowe (E.J.) - More Kinds of Being: Preface", Lowe
- "McGinn (Colin) - Précis of 'Logical Properties: Identity, Existence, Prediction, Necessity, Truth'", McGinn
- "Merricks (Trenton) - Objects & Persons: Preface", Merricks
- "Noonan (Harold) - Review of 'Kinds of Being: A Study of Individuation, Identity and the Logic of Sortal Terms' by E. J. Lowe", Noonan
- "Olson (Eric) - Ethics and the Generous Ontology", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - Why I Have No Hands", Olson
- "Parfit (Derek) - Why does the universe exist?", Parfit
- "Quine (W.V.) - On What There Is", Quine
- "Rosenkrantz (Gary) - Reflections on the Ontological Status of Persons", Rosenkrantz
- "Ryle (Gilbert) - Categories", Ryle
- "Sider (Ted) - Critical Study of Michael Jubien's Ontology, Modality, and the Fallacy of Reference", Sider
- "Sider (Ted) - Four-Dimensionalism: Introduction", Sider
- "Simons (Peter) - Parts: A Study in Ontology - Introduction", Simons
- "Simons (Peter) - Parts: A Study in Ontology - Concluding Remarks", Simons
- "Simons (Peter) - Review of 'Kinds of Being: A Study of Individuation, Identity and the Logic of Sortal Terms' by E. J. Lowe", Simons
- "Surovell (Jonathan) - Bennett's 'Composition, Colocation, and Metaontology'", Surovell
- "Trettin (Kathe) - Persons and Other Trope Complexes. Reflections on Ontology and Normativity", Trettin
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Ontology, Identity, and Modality: Introduction", van Inwagen
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Précis of Material Beings", van Inwagen
- "Williams (Christopher) - Being, Identity and Truth: Preface", Williams
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Butchvarov (Panayot) - Being Qua Being", Butchvarov
- "Descombes (Vincent) - Objects of All Sorts - A Philosophical Grammar", Descombes
- "Doepke (Frederick) - The Kinds of Things: A Theory of Personal Identity Based on Transcendental Argument", Doepke
→ "Martin (Raymond) - Review of 'Doepke - The Kinds of Things: A Theory of Personal Identity Based on Transcendental Argument'"
- "Jubien (Michael) - Ontology, Modality, and the Fallacy of Reference", Jubien
- "Ladyman (James), Ross (Don), Spurrett (David) & Collier (John) - Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized", Ladyman, Etc.
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Kinds of Being: Study of Individuation, Identity and the Logic of Sortal Terms", Lowe
- "Lowe (E.J.) - More Kinds of Being: A Further Study of Individuation, Identity and the Logic of Sortal Terms", Lowe
- "Merricks (Trenton) - Objects and Persons", Merricks
- "Olson (Eric) - What are We? A Study of Personal Ontology", Olson
- "Simons (Peter) - Parts: A Study in Ontology", Simons
- +PP+, xxx
- +PP+, xxx
- +PP+, xxx
- This is mostly a place-holder21.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (03/02/2020 23:58:34).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020