- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Persistence1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 22/11/2019 13:10:34): Persistence
- Persistence is the continuing in existence of one thing from one time to another.
- Different kinds4 of thing have different kinds of persistence criteria5.
- My interest is in the persistence of Persons6, or at least of beings such as Us; consequently I need to know what kind of thing we are7.
- This Note partly acts as an umbrella for three other items that represent different theories or account of persistence, namely
→ Perdurantism9 and
- See also the Notes on
→ Time11, and
- For a page of Links13 to this Note, Click here. The list is far too long to be useful, so I’ve not used it!
- Works on – or tangentially related to – this topic that I’ve actually read14 include the following items, which will also feature in the Note on Persistence Criteria15:-
- "Ayers (Michael R.) - Locke on 'Masses of Matter'", Ayers
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Precis of 'Persons & Bodies: A Constitution View'", Baker
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - The Ontological Status of Persons", Baker
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - The Very Idea of Constitution", Baker
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - When Do Persons Begin and End?", Baker
- "Blatti (Stephan) - Animalism and its Implications", Blatti
- "Blatti (Stephan) - Animalism Unburdened", Blatti
- "Coliva (Annalisa) - Review of Gasser & Stefan, Eds. - Personal Identity: Complex or Simple?", Coliva
- "Corcoran (Kevin) - Biology or Psychology? Human Persons and Personal Identity", Corcoran
- "Dainton (Barry) - Review of Eric Olson's 'The Human Animal: Personal Identity Without Psychology'", Dainton
- "DeGrazia (David) - Are we essentially persons? Olson, Baker, and a reply", DeGrazia
- "DeGrazia (David) - Human Identity and Bioethics: Introduction", DeGrazia
- "Gasser (Georg) - Personal Identity and Resurrection: Introduction", Gasser
- "Hawley (Katherine) - How Things Persist: Introduction", Hawley
- "Hershenov (David) - Do Dead Bodies Pose a Problem for Biological Approaches to Personal Identity", Hershenov
- "Hershenov (David) - Review of Nancy Murphy's 'Bodies and Souls, or Spirited Bodies?'", Hershenov
- "Mackie (David) - Personal Identity and Dead People", Mackie_D
- "Madden (Rory) - Human Persistence", Madden, 2016
- "Olson (Eric) - Are People Animals?", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - Persistence", Olson, 1999
- "Olson (Eric) - Psychology and Personal Identity", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - The Human Animal: Introduction", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - What Are We? The Question", Olson
- "Rosenkrantz (Gary) - Reflections on the Ontological Status of Persons", Rosenkrantz
- "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity, Rational Anticipation, and Self-Concern", Shoemaker_D
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Self, Body, and Coincidence", Shoemaker_S
- "Sider (Ted) - Review of Lynne Rudder Baker, Persons and Bodies", Sider
- "Snowdon (Paul) - Personal Identity and Brain Transplants", Snowdon
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Plantinga’s Replacement Argument", Van Inwagen
- "Wiggins (David) - On Being in the Same Place at the Same Time", Wiggins
- "Wilson (Jack) - Beyond Horses and Oak Trees: A New Theory of Individuation for Living Entities", Wilson
- "Wilson (Jack) - Personal Identity Naturalized: Our Bodies, Our Selves", Wilson
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Bodily Resurrection: The Falling Elevator Model Revisited", Zimmerman
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere – ie. in the Notes above) might start with:-
- "Carter (William) & Hestevold (H. Scott) - On Passage and Persistence", Carter & Hestvold, 1994
- "Doyle (Robert O.) - Change (Being and Becoming)", Doyle
- "Doyle (Robert O.) - Persistence (Perdurance and Endurance)", Doyle
- "Doyle (Robert O.) - David Wiggins", Doyle (part)
- "Haslanger (Sally) - Persistence Through Time", Haslanger, 2003
- "Haslanger (Sally) & Kurtz (Roxanne), Eds. - Persistence : Contemporary Readings", Haslanger, 2006
- "Hawley (Katherine) - How Things Persist", Hawley, 2006
- "Hawley (Katherine) - Persistence and Determination", Hawley, 2008
- "Hirsch (Eli) - The Persistence of Objects: Introduction", Hirsch, 198216
- "Hudson (Hud) - Persistence and the Partist View", Hudson, 2001
- "Loux (Michael) - Concrete Particulars II: Persistence Through Time", Loux, 2002
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Persistence and Substance", Lowe, 200117
- "Merricks (Trenton) - Persistence, Parts and Presentism", Merricks, 1999
- "Oderberg (David) - The Metaphysics of Identity Over Time", Oderberg, 1993
- "Oderberg (David) - Persistence", Oderberg, 2009
- "Olson (Eric) - Relativism and Persistence", Olson, 1997
- "Pollock (John L.) - Reasoning about Change and Persistence: A Solution to the Frame Problem", Pollock, 1997
- "Sider (Ted) - Persistence and Parthood Seminar", Sider, 1998
- "Sider (Ted) - Recent Work: Identity Over Time", Sider, 2000
- "Sider (Ted) & Zimmerman (Dean) - Persistence - Bibliography", Sider & Zimmerman, 200418
- "Sider (Ted) & Zimmerman (Dean) - Persistence Seminar", Sider & Zimmerman, 2004
- "Vander Laan (David) - Persistence and Divine Conservation", Vander Laan, 2006
- "Wasserman (Ryan) - Framing the Debate over Persistence", Wasserman, 2004
- "Wiggins (David) - Continuants: Their Activity, Their Being, and Their Identity", especially
→ "Noonan (Harold) - Review of Wiggins's 'Continuants'", and
→ "Wiggins (David) - Identity, Individuation, and Substance"
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Persistence and Presentism", Zimmerman, 1996
- This is mostly a place-holder19.
Footnote 16: Footnote 17: Footnote 18:
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (22/11/2019 13:10:34).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- The Bibliography – and the Seminnar – cover much beyond Persistence as such.
- I need to extract the relevant items to the various sub-topics.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019