- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Persistence Criteria1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 08/02/2018 18:24:29): Persistence Criteria
- I will cover both persistence criteria and persistence conditions under this head.
- Maybe the former term (“criteria”) focuses on epistemology (how we know something has persisted) and the latter (“conditions”) on metaphysics (what it takes for something to persist).
- I suspect David Shoemaker – in "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Immortality" – of confusing the two (despite his explicit acknowledgement of the distinction) in his rejection of the soul criterion.
- In brief, the persistence conditions for an object of a particular kind4 are the necessary and sufficient conditions for it persist5, that is, to continue in existence.
- With respect to our6 persistence criteria, David Shoemaker considers the following possibilities:-
- Soul Criterion7
- Body Criterion8
- Memory Criterion9
- Brain10-based Memory Criterion
- Psychological Criterion11
- Biological Criterion12
- The first four feature in "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Immortality".
- The final two in "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity, Rational Anticipation, and Self-Concern".
- In "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Self-Regarding Ethics - Alternative Approaches" Shoemaker considers two other alternatives:-
- Narrative Identity13, and
- Identity Doesn’t Matter14.
- Most of the work of this Note will probably be undertaken under the guise of pursuing the Notes above.
- This Note will also overlap to some extent with those on:-
→ Criteria of Identity15, and
- Consequently, this Note has no reading list of its own, though it seems to have a categorised reading list containing miscategorised items.
- This is mostly a place-holder17.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (08/02/2018 18:24:29).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018