- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Psychological Continuity1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 19/04/2018 18:30:14): Psychological Continuity
- Following on from discussions on survival4, maybe the way to put things is that without psychological continuity I might survive, but not with what matters5 to me in survival.
- If PERSON6 is a phase sortal7 of HUMAN ANIMAL8, can there be sequential but different persons within the same animal (as Lewis9 suggests, though not from the perspective of animalism10, in his “Methuselah11” case) or can there be different and encapsulated First Person Perspectives12 (either synchronically or diachronically) within the same animal?
- “Person” may indeed come apart from “animal”, but even then, the person cannot “float free” of the animal, but supervenes13 upon it.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read14, include15 the following:-
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- This is mostly a place-holder16. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (19/04/2018 18:30:14).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018