- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Quasi-Memory1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 03/09/2018 10:24:58): Quasi-Memory
- In "Snowdon (Paul) - The Self and Personal Identity" (see Note4), Paul Snowdon attributes the establishment of the terminology to "Parfit (Derek) - How We Are Not What We Believe", pp. 219-23, and a major critique to "Wiggins (David) - Personal Identity".
- One problem with Locke’s memory theory of Personal Identity (see Note5) is that it is prima facie circular. A memory can properly only be had by the person who had the experience, so cannot be used to analyse “Person6”.
- However, “Quasi-” prefixes do not presuppose ownership.
- Snowdon puts it this way:-
- There is a causal linkage L linking a person’s memory to that person’s history.
- There is – we may suppose – a neural trace laid down at the time, and re-activated during an act of remembering.
- This trace might be transferred – again we may suppose – to some other subject by micro-surgery.
- This new subject thereby Q-remembers an event that he did not experience.
- So, since Q-remembering does not presuppose the identity of the person doing the Q-remembering with the person involved in the event Q-remembered, Q-predicates can without circularity be used to analyse personal identity in terms of psychological continuity and connectedness.
- Or so it is said.
- For a page of Links7 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read8, include9 the following:-
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Noonan (Harold) - Quasi-Memory"
- "Noonan (Harold) - Memory and Quasi-Memory"
- "Collins (Arthur) - Personal Identity And Coherence Of Q-Memory"
- "Northoff (G.) - Are 'Q-Memories' Empirically Realistic?: A Neurophilosophical Approach"
- "Roache (Rebecca) - A Defence of Quasi-Memory"
- "Puccetti (Roland) - Remembering the Past of Another".
- This is mostly a place-holder10.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (03/09/2018 10:24:58).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- If only a “non-updating” run has been made, the links are only one-way – ie. from the page of links to the objects that reference this Note by mentioning the appropriate key-word(s). The links are also only indicative, as they haven’t yet been confirmed as relevant.
- Once an updating run has been made, links are both ways, and links from this Notes page (from the “Authors, Books & Papers Citing this Note” and “Summary of Note Links to this Page” sections) are to the “point of link” within the page rather than to the page generically. Links from the “links page” remain generic.
- There are two sorts of updating runs – for Notes and other Objects. The reason for this is that Notes are archived, and too many archived versions would be created if this process were repeatedly run.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018