- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Reductionism1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 11/03/2018 20:19:41): Reductionism
- Reductionism in the field of Personal Identity has much the same meaning as elsewhere in philosophy, namely:-
- Explanatory Reduction: explaining PID in terms of simpler concepts4, or
- Ontological Reduction: saying that persons5 are “really” other things, or are made up of or constituted by6 other things.
- This contrasts with the Simple View7, which denies this.
- Currently, my thoughts on the matter are derived from:-
→ "Garrett (Brian) - Personal Identity and Reductionism", and
→ "Garrett (Brian) - Animalism and Reductionism",
but I will add to the topic further over time.
- From my perspective, the interesting element is Garrett’s consideration of Phase Sortals8.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read9, include10 the following:-
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- This is mostly a place-holder11. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (11/03/2018 20:19:41).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018