- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Replication1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 07/11/2018 17:03:50): Replication
- Replication arises where an obvious copying process takes place. I would claim that Teletransportation4 falls under this head. I'm currently not clear whether there's a distinction between replication and duplication5, other than that duplication would seem to be restricted to doubling, whereas replication is more open-ended.
- Does amoebic division count as replication? When an amoeba divides, this is not a case of fission6 but of reproduction. So, there are three amoebae involved – the original one and the two daughters. This is not the same situation as in fission.
- The above said, does this case depend:
- on how the case is described7 and
- on how – empirically – the replication occurs?
- If the amoebic division occurs by budding of a daughter, so that we can continually "track" the parent, then we have straightforward reproduction. If the division is symmetrical, the case could be correctly described as replication, though maybe on a perdurantist8 view we originally had two coincident9 amoebae that both persist.
- We need to watch out for closest continuer10 descriptions of the case.
- For a page of Links11 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read12, include13 the following:-
- "Graziano (Michael) - Endless fun", Graziano
- "Parfit (Derek) - Nagel's Brain", Parfit
- "Thomas (Janice L.) - Psychological continuity", Thomas
- "Thomas (Janice L.) - What matters for survival and the logical possibility of resurrection", Thomas
- I don’t really have a categorised reading-list for this Note; while there is one, it is empty. Most reading will be covered under sister Notes of this one: Reduplication Objections14 and Duplication15. However, items might include:-
- "Brennan (Andrew) - Structure and Survival", Brennan
- "Brennan (Andrew) - Survival", Brennan
- "Brennan (Andrew) - Survival and Importance", Brennan
- "Fetzer (James) - Consciousness and Cognition: Semiotic Conceptions of Bodies and Minds", Fetzer
- "Harris (Henry) - An Experimentalist Looks at Identity", Harris
- "Hodgson (David) - The Mind Matters - Consciousness and Choice in a Quantum World", Hodgson
- "Kihlstrom (John F.), Beer (Jennifer S.) & Klein (Stanley B.) - Self and Identity as Memory", Kihlstrom Etc.
- "Tipler (Frank) - The Physics of Immortality: Modern Cosmology, God and the Resurrection of the Dead", Tippler
- This is mostly a place-holder16.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (07/11/2018 17:03:50).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- If only a “non-updating” run has been made, the links are only one-way – ie. from the page of links to the objects that reference this Note by mentioning the appropriate key-word(s). The links are also only indicative, as they haven’t yet been confirmed as relevant.
- Once an updating run has been made, links are both ways, and links from this Notes page (from the “Authors, Books & Papers Citing this Note” and “Summary of Note Links to this Page” sections) are to the “point of link” within the page rather than to the page generically. Links from the “links page” remain generic.
- There are two sorts of updating runs – for Notes and other Objects. The reason for this is that Notes are archived, and too many archived versions would be created if this process were repeatedly run.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018