- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Sortals1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 11/04/2018 10:06:14): Sortals
- Using Howard Robinson’s terminology ("Robinson (Howard) - Dualism (Stanford)"), the Ultimate Sort of a thing is that property4 without which the thing ceases to exist.
- However, an individual falling under a Phase Sortal5 can lose the property that defines the phase without ceasing to exist.
- Ultimate Sorts are presumably the same as Baker6’s Primary Kinds7, though I can’t remember if she has an analogue of a Phase Sortal.
- The standard example is of a HUMAN BEING8 (as the Ultimate Sort) and CHILD (as a Phase Sortal).
- So, is personhood9 an attribute of a human being, like “childhood”, that a human being can either possess or lack, or are persons ontologically10 separate from “their” human beings?
- Wiggins11 argues that we can’t talk of the persistence conditions12 of anything until we know what sort it is.
- Olson claims that it’s futile to talk of the persistence conditions of persons per se – if human beings, God and angels are all persons – since their persistence conditions (assuming the existence of God and angels, for the sake of the argument) are completely different. This lack of a common set of persistence conditions would indicate that PERSON is not an Ultimate Sort.
- I (intend to) discuss the sorts that we may fall under in the Note on “What are We13”.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read14, include15 the following:-
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- This is mostly a place-holder16. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (11/04/2018 10:06:14).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018