- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Souls1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 14/07/2019 18:05:46): Souls
- There ought to be a division of labour between this Note and the Note on the Soul Criterion4 of personal identity.
- This parent Note ought to discuss what souls are (supposed to be), and what problems the concept encounters, while that on the Soul Criterion should focus on how souls (are supposed to) help with the problem of personal identity.
- Some of the ground is also covered by the note on Dualism5.
- For a page of Links6 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read7, include the following:-
- Both Notes require8 the following books9 to be read:-
→ "Brown (Warren), Murphy (Nancey) & Malony (H. Newton), Eds. - Whatever Happened to the Soul: Scientific and Theological Portraits of Human Nature", Brown
→ "Cooper (John) - Body, Soul and Life Everlasting: Biblical Anthropology and the Monism-dualism Debate", Cooper
→ "Corcoran (Kevin) - Rethinking Human Nature: A Christian Materialist Alternative to the Soul", Corcoran
→ "Corcoran (Kevin), Ed. - Soul, Body and Survival: Essays on the Metaphysics of Human Persons", Corcoran
→ "Crabbe (James), Ed. - From Soul to Self", Crabbe
→ "Moreland (J.P.) & Rae (Scott) - Body & Soul - Human Nature and the Crisis in Ethics", Moreland+Rae
→ "Murphy (Nancey) - Bodies and Souls, or Spirited Bodies?", Murphy10
→ "Porter (Roy) - Flesh in the Age of Reason - The Modern Foundations of Body and Soul", Porter
→ "Swinburne (Richard) - The Evolution of the Soul", Swinburne
→ "Ward (Keith) - The Battle for the Soul", Ward
- Currently, everything (such as it is – it’s just a reading-list) resides under this parent Note. When I’ve conducted (or written up) more research, I’ll divide the text accordingly.
- In principle, there is a categorised reading-list, but at the moment all reading material resides under this parent Note.
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with11:-
- "Angel (Leonard) - Since Physical Formulas are Not Violated, No Soul Controls the Body", Angel
- "Anscombe (G.E.M.) - Has Mankind One Soul: An Angel Distributed Through Many Bodies?", Anscombe
- "Augustine (Keith) & Fishman (Yonatan I.) - The Dualist’s Dilemma: The High Cost of Reconciling Neuroscience with a Soul", Augustine & Fishman
- "Chisholm (Roderick) - On the Simplicity of the Soul", Chisholm
- "Chopra (Deepak) & Hameroff (Stuart) - Can science explain the soul?", Chopra & Hameroff
- "Hasker (William) - The Souls of Beasts and Men", Hasker
- "Hoffman (Joshua) & Rosenkrantz (Gary) - Are Souls Unintelligible?", Hoffman & Rosenkrantz
- "Hoffman (Joshua) & Rosenkrantz (Gary) - Souls and Bodies", Hoffman & Rosenkrantz
- "Kagan (Shelly) - Arguments for the existence of the soul, Part I", Kagan12
- "Kim (Jaegwon) - Lonely Souls: Causality and Substance Dualism", Kim
- "Kim (Jaegwon) - What Could Pair a Nonphysical Soul to a Physical Body?", Kim
- "Ogilvie (Daniel M.) & Hamilton (Leonard W.) - Soul Beliefs: Causes and Consequences", Ogilvie & Hamilton
- "Papineau (David) - There is No Trace of Any Soul Linked to the Body", Papineau
- "Phillips (D.Z.) - Dislocating the Soul", Phillips
- "Quinn (Philip L.) - Tiny Selves: Chisholm on the Simplicity of the Soul", Quinn
- "Quinton (Anthony) - The Soul", Quinton
- "Swinburne (Richard) - Nature and immortality of the Soul", Swinburne
- "Turl (John) - Substance Dualism or Body-Soul Duality?", Turl
- "Wilson (David L.) - Nonphysical Souls Would Violate Physical Laws", Wilson
- "Wright (N.T.) - Mind, Spirit, Soul and Body: All for One and One for All - Reflections on Paul’s Anthropology in his Complex Contexts", Wright
- This is mostly a place-holder13.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (14/07/2019 18:05:46).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- This is becoming a shelf-load, so “require” is rather strong!
Footnote 10: Footnote 11:
- In general, if a book is noted, its Chapters are not.
- There is a risk of this list getting out of hand as this is a very peripheral topic.
- I may prune it in due course. Many items on the categorised reading list have just been ignored.
- Items already pruned (lest they be raised later) include the following classics:-
→ "Aristotle, Lawson-Tancred (Hugh) - De Anima (On the Soul)", Aristotle
→ "Hume (David) - Of the Immortality of the Soul", Hume
→ "James (William) - The Theory of the Soul", James
→ "Kant (Immanuel) - Refutation of Mendelssohn's Proof of the Permanence of the Soul", Kant
→ "Plato, Gallop (David) - Phaedo", Plato
→ "Voltaire - The Soul, Identity and Immortality", Voltaire
- Also, commentaries thereon:-
→ "Bostock (David) - The Soul and Immortality in Plato's Phaedo"
- Also, Kagan’s follow-on lectures on the existence and immortality of the soul.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019