- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Substance1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 14/07/2019 18:05:46): Substance
- This is a big subject but, basically, I take a substance to be an individual (relatively) self-standing thing (a particular) that has properties that may change over time.
- My specific interest in this topic is whether persons – qua persons4 – are substances. This depends what the term “person” refers to. My contention is that “person” is a property (or collection of properties, or an honorific) of a substance rather than a substance in its own right. So, animalism5 would have it that the substance is the human animal, which for part of its existence has the property of being a person.
- There’s the question whether the substance-view is inconsistent with perdurantism6, whereby individuals are not wholly present at a time, but are “space-time worms”. On this view, for an animalist a person would be a section (or a collection of sections) of the space-time worm that is the human animal.
- Maybe on either view, a person is a phase sortal7.
- I intend to cover this amongst other general metaphysical matters in Chapter 48 of my Thesis.
- For a page of Links9 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read10, include the following:-
- The study-list for this topic (restricted to Personal Identity) would include:-
- "Broackes (Justin) - Substance", Broakes
- "Broackes (Justin) & Hacker (P.M.S.) - Substance: Things and Stuffs", Broakes & Hacker
- "Campbell (Scott) - Persons and Substances", Campbell
- "Crane (Tim) - Substance (4-Lecture BA Course)", Crane
- "Hoffman (Joshua) & Rosenkrantz (Gary) - Substance: Its Nature and Existence", Hoffman & Rosenkrantz
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Substance, Identity and Time", Lowe
- "Lowe (E.J.) - The Possibility of Metaphysics: Substance, Identity and Time", Lowe
- "Moreland (J.P.) & Rae (Scott) - Human Persons as Substances or Property-Things", Moreland & Rae
- "Noonan (Harold) - Substance, Identity and Time", Noonan
- "Robinson (Howard) - Substance", Robinson
- "Wiggins (David) - Sameness and Substance Renewed", Wiggins11
- "Wikipedia - Hylomorphism", Wikipedia
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Review of Hoffman & Rosenkrantz's 'Substance: Its Nature and Existence'", Zimmerman
- This is mostly a place-holder12.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (14/07/2019 18:05:46).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020