- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Taking Persons Seriously1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 11/03/2018 20:19:41): Taking Persons Seriously
- Baker4 accuses animalists of “not taking persons seriously”.
- But, how seriously should they be taken (in metaphysics)?
- Probably what really matters ontologically5 is the possession of a conscious6 (though not necessarily self-conscious7) perspective. This is what we must take seriously.
- Baker would argue that there exists an ontological difference at this stage too … but, why is the first-person perspective8 so very important – all that worrying about death?
- Buddhists are trying to lose this sense of self9. Do all cultures have it?
- See "Wong (David) - Relativism" for the Chinese view, which takes the community more seriously than the individual.
- Whether we ought to take moral or rational beings extra seriously is the point at issue.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read10, include11 the following:-
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- This is mostly a place-holder12. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (11/03/2018 20:19:41).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018