- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Time1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 14/07/2019 18:05:46): Time
- I don’t think I need to wade too deeply in the topic of time for the purposes of my thesis, but it’s clearly central to the topic of diachronic identity, ie. identity over time.
- Aspects of particular interest include:-
- The Endurantism4, Exdurantism5, Perdurantism6 debate. Perdurantism may solve the identity-related problems of fission7, at least according to Lewis8.
- Presentist theories of time seem to undermine non-endurantist theories of persistence, though this is disputed.
- Parfit’s9 contention that we should discount the concern we owe to our future selves proportionate to our likely lack of psychological connection.
- Time Travel10: maybe surprisingly, this alleged possibility appears in various TEs11 on Fission12. I have given it its own Note and Reading List.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read13, include the following:-
- "Aguirre (Anthony) - The Cosmic Now", Aguirre
- "Bais (Sander) - Very Special Relativity: An Illustrated Guide", Bais
- "Botros (Sophie) - Truth, Time and History: A Philosophical Enquiry", Botros
- "Botros (Sophie) - Truth, Time and History - A Philosophical Inquiry with Dr Sophie Botros", Botros
- "Crull (Elise) - You thought quantum mechanics was weird: check out entangled time", Crull
- "Dainton (Barry) - Time and Space: Preface", Dainton
- "Dyke (Heather) - Review of Craig Bourne's 'A Future for Presentism'", Dyke
- "Hawking (Stephen) - Space and Time Warps", Hawking
- "Kurtz (Roxanne) - Introduction to Persistence: What’s the Problem?", Kurtz
- "LePoidevin (Robin) - Travels in Four Dimensions: Preface", LePoidevin
- "LePoidevin (Robin) - Travels in Four Dimensions: Concluding Thoughts", LePoidevin
- "Lewis (David) - The Problem of Temporary Intrinsics", Lewis
- "Markosian (Ned) - Time", Markosian
- "McTaggart (J. McT. E.) - Time (The Unreality of Time)", McTaggart
- "Mellor (D.H.) - Real Time: Preface", Mellor
- "Mellor (D.H.) - Real Time: Introduction and Summary", Mellor
- "Mellor (D.H.) - Real Time II: Preface", Mellor
- "Mellor (D.H.) - Real Time II: Introduction", Mellor
- "Rovelli (Carlo) - Hot black holes and the arrow of time", Rovelli
- "Sklar (Lawrence) - Space, Time and Spacetime: Preface for the Paperback Edition", Sklar
- "Sklar (Lawrence) - Space, Time and Spacetime: Introduction", Sklar
- "Sklar (Lawrence) - Space, Time and Spacetime: Epilogue", Sklar
- "Torrengo (Giuliano) & Mariani (Cristian) - Review of James Harrington, 'Time: A Philosophical Introduction'", Torrengo & Mariani
- I’ve always thought it foolish to expatiate on the philosophy of time while in ignorance of special relativity, but this is a difficult sub-sub-topic14.
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere15) might start with:-
- "Adams (Robert Merrihew) - Actualism and Thisness", Adams
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Temporal Reality", Baker
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Time", Baker
- "Besson (Corine) & Hattiangadi (Anandi) - The Open Future, Bivalence and Assertion", Besson
- "Bigelow (John) - Presentism and Properties", Bigelow
- "Bourne (Craig) - A Future for Presentism", Bourne16
- "Campbell (Joseph Keim), O'Rourke (Michael) & Silverstein (Harry S.) - Time and Identity", Campbell, etc.
- "Coope (Ursula) - Why Does Aristotle Say That There Is No Time without Change?", Coope17
- "Craig (William Lane) - The Tensed Theory of Time", Craig
- "Craig (William Lane) - The Tenseless Theory of Time", Craig
- "Dainton (Barry) - Time and Space", Dainton
→ "Oaklander (L. Nathan) - Review of Barry Dainton's 'Time and Space'"
- "Dyke (Heather) - McTaggart and the Truth about Time", Dyke
- "Lebens (Samuel) & Goldschmidt (Tyron) - The Promise of a New Past", Lebens & Goldschmidt
- "LePoidevin (Robin) - Travels in Four Dimensions: The Enigmas of Space and Time", LePoidevin
- "LePoidevin (Robin) & MacBeath (Murray), Eds. - The Philosophy of Time: Oxford Readings in Philosophy", LePoidevin & MacBeath
- "Markosian (Ned) - A Defense of Presentism", Markosian
- "Markosian (Ned) - How Fast Does Time Pass?", Markosian
- "Markosian (Ned) - The Open Past", Markosian
- "Markosian (Ned) - The Truth About the Past and the Future", Markosian
- "McTaggart (J. McT. E.) - The Unreality of Time", McTaggart
- "Mellor (D.H.) - Real Time II", Mellor18
- "Olson (Eric) - The Passage of Time", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - The Rate of Time’s Passage", Olson
- "Paul (L.A.) - Temporal Experience", Paul
- "Prior (Arthur N.) - Papers on Time and Tense", Prior
- "Prior (Arthur N.) - Some Free Thinking About Time", Prior
- "Prior (Arthur N.) - Thank Goodness That's over", Prior
- "Prior (Arthur N.) - The Notion of the Present", Prior
- "Putnam (Hilary) - Time and Physical Geometry", Putnam
- "Lizza (John) - Introduction: The Biological Paradigm of Death", Rovelli
- "Sattig (Thomas) - The Language and Reality of Time", Sattig
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Time Without Change", Shoemaker
- "Sider (Ted) - Against Presentism", Sider
- "Sider (Ted) - Presentism and Ontological Commitment", Sider
- "Skow (Bradford) - On the meaning of the question 'How fast does time pass?'", Skow
- "Skow (Bradford) - “One Second Per Second”", Skow
- "Smart (J.C.C.) - The River of Time", Smart
- "Smart (J.C.C.) - Spatialising Time", Smart
- "Sullivan (Meghan) - Change We Can Believe In (and Assert)", Sullivan
- "Sullivan (Meghan) - The minimal A-theory", Sullivan
- "Swinburne (Richard) - The Beginning of the Universe", Swinburne
- "Taylor (Richard) - Space and Time", Taylor
- "Taylor (Richard) - The Relativity of Time and Space", Taylor
- "Taylor (Richard) - Temporal Passage", Taylor
- "Williams (Donald C.) - The Myth of Passage", Williams
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Persistence and Presentism", Zimmerman
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Temporary Intrinsics and Presentism", Zimmerman
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - The A-Theory of Time, The B-Theory of Time, and ‘Taking Tense Seriously’", Zimmerman
- This is mostly a place-holder19.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (14/07/2019 18:05:46).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- Books / Chapters to read would include:-
→ "Davies (Paul C.W.) - About Time: Einstein's Unfinished Revolution", Davies
→ "French (A.P.) - Special Relativity", French
→ "Godfrey-Smith (William) - Special Relativity and the Present", Godfrey-Smith
→ "Maxwell (Nicholas) - Are Probabilism and Special Relativity Incompatible?", Maxwell
→ "Maxwell (Nicholas) - Are Probabilism and Special Relativity Compatible?", Maxwell
→ "Mellor (D.H.) - Special Relativity and Present Truth", Mellor
→ "Rindler (Wolfgang) - Introduction to Special Relativity", Rindler
→ "Savitt (Steven) - There's No Time Like the Present (in Minkowski Spacetime)", Savitt
→ "Schutz (Bernard) - A First Course in General Relativity", Chapter 1, Schutz
→ "Skow (Bradford) - Relativity and the Moving Spotlight", Skow
→ "Stein (Howard) - A Note on Time and Relativity Theory", Stein
→ "Stein (Howard) - On Einstein-Minkowski Space-Time", Stein
→ "Taylor (Edwin F.) & Wheeler (John Archibald) - Spacetime Physics - Introduction to Special Relativity", Taylor
→ "Weingard (Robert) - Relativity and the Reality of Past and Future Events", Weingard
- Plus the occasional item in the “already read” list!
Footnote 16: Footnote 17: Footnote 18:
- Ie. works cited above, or those related to Persistence or Time travel.
- I have considered all the references in "Markosian (Ned) - Time", acquired what I can, and listed them all one way or another in this Note where they are not pre-emptively relevant to the above topics.
- There appears to be a distressingly large number of books on this list!
- I note a further bunch, which I’ll decide on in due course:-
→ "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - On the Mind-Dependence of Temporal Becoming", Baker
→ "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Temporal Becoming: The Argument from Physics", Baker
→ "Kripke (Saul) - A Puzzle about Time and Thought", Kripke
→ "Lombard (Lawrence B.) - On the Alleged Incompatibility of Presentism and Temporal Parts", Lombard
→ "Lucas (J.R.) - The Future - An Essay on God, Temporality and Truth", Lucas
→ "Markosian (Ned) - On Language and the Passage of Time", Markosian
→ "Mellor (D.H.) - The Self from Time to Time", Mellor
→ "Myro (George) - Identity and Time", Myro
→ "Oaklander (L. Nathan) - Time and Identity", Oaklander
→ "Over (D.E.) - On a Temporal Slippery Slope Paradox", Over
→ "Russell (Bertrand) - On the Experience of Time", Russell
→ "Savitt (Steven) - The Replacement of Time", Savitt
→ "Schlesinger (George N.) - How Time Flies", Schlesinger
→ "Sklar (Lawrence) - Space, Time and Spacetime", Sklar
→ "Stump (Eleonore) & Kretzmann (Norman) - Eternity", Stump
→ "Torrengo (Giuliano) - Feeling the Passing of Time", Torrengo
→ "Torrengo (Giuliano) - The Myth of Presentism’s Intuitive Appeal", Torrengo
→ "Trupp (Andreas) - Time", Trupp
→ "Valberg (J.J.) - Time and the Horizon", Valberg
→ "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Temporality", Van Inwagen
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019