- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Life After Death1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 29/09/2020 00:54:43): Life After Death
- This is an umbrella-note for the ways in which post-mortem survival might be actualised, namely:-
- To this list might be added the collection of hopeful possibilities expected by the Transhumanists8.
- It will discuss broad issues rather than the specifics of the particular options. It ought to discuss whether life after death – in the sense of eternal, or at least unending, life is to be desired, though this can mostly be hived off to the Makropulos Case9.
- I’m not interested in cases of resuscitation10, which are commonplace these days. The paradigm cases are after the total – or near-total – destruction of the body.
- Johnston thinks (in "Johnston (Mark) - Surviving Death") that there’s a forensic11 need for post-mortem survival of some sort, as otherwise there’s no incentive to be good, and hopes to provide it by a radical redefinition of what the person is. But this strikes me as changing the subject.
- I have some other notes on this and related topics as part of Philosophy of Religion12 and my Blog13:-
- For a Page of Links17 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read18 include the following:-
- "Almeder (Robert) - Death and Personal Survival: Evidence for Life After Death - Preface", Almeder
- "Badham (Paul) & Badham (Linda) - Immortality or Extinction: Introduction", Badham
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - When Do Persons Begin and End?", Baker
- "Blackmore (Susan) - And After Death?", Blackmore
- "Cooper (John) - Body, Soul and Life Everlasting: Preface to the Second Printing", Cooper
- "Corcoran (Kevin) - Soul, Body and Survival: Introduction - Soul or Body?", Corcoran
- "Dennett (Daniel) - Thank Goodness!", Dennett
- "Feldman (Fred) - The Survival of Death", Feldman
- "Fenwick (Peter) & Fenwick (Elizabeth) - The Truth in the Light: An Investigation of Over 300 Near-Death Experiences", Fenwick
- "Gasser (Georg) - Personal Identity and Resurrection: Introduction", Gasser
- "Graham (George) - Death and Identity", Graham
- "Graziano (Michael) - Endless fun", Graziano
- "Hershenov (David) - Review of Nancy Murphy's 'Bodies and Souls, or Spirited Bodies?'", Hershenov
- "LePoidevin (Robin) - Arguing for Atheism: Preface / Introduction", LePoidevin
- "Loose (Jonathan) - Constitution and the Falling Elevator", Loose
- "MacKay (Donald) - Computer Software and Life After Death", McKay
- "Olson (Eric) - Immanent Causation and Life After Death", Olson
- "Olson (Eric) - Life After Death and the Devastation of the Grave", Olson
- "Penelhum (Terence) - Immortality: Introduction", Penelhum
- "Price (H.H.) - Motives for disbelief in life after death", Price
- "Price (H.H.) - Two conceptions of the Next World", Price
- "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Immortality", Shoemaker
- "Stewart-Williams (Steve) - On the Origin of Afterlife Beliefs by Means of Memetic Selection", Stewart-Williams
- "Thomas (Janice L.) - Mind and Person in the Philosophy of Religion", Thomas, especially
→ "Thomas (Janice L.) - Other arguments for dualism",
→ "Thomas (Janice L.) - What matters for survival and the logical possibility of resurrection",
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - I Look for the Resurrection of the Dead and the Life of the World to Come", Van Inwagen
- "Vardy (Peter) & Arliss (Julie) - Life after Death", Vardy
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Bodily Resurrection: The Falling Elevator Model Revisited", Zimmerman
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Can We Survive Our Death?", Zimmerman
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Christians Should Affirm Mind-Body Dualism", Zimmerman
- A further reading list19 might start with:-
- "Almeder (Robert) - Death and Personal Survival: Evidence for Life After Death", Almeder
→ "Dilley (Frank B.) - Review of Robert Almeder 'Death and Personal Survival: The Evidence for Life after Death'", Dilley
- "Bacchiocchi (Samuele) - Immortality or Resurrection? A Biblical Study on Human Nature and Destiny", Bacchiocchi
- "Badham (Paul) & Badham (Linda) - Immortality or Extinction", Badham
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Death and the Afterlife", Baker
- "Baltimore (Joseph A.) - Got to Have Soul", Baltimore
- "Bruntrup (Godehard) - Soul, Body and Survival: The Renaissance of Christian Materialism", Bruntrup
- "Cooper (John) - Body, Soul and Life Everlasting: Biblical Anthropology and the Monism-dualism Debate", Cooper
- "Corcoran (Kevin), Ed. - Soul, Body and Survival: Essays on the Metaphysics of Human Persons", Corcoran
- "Cosculluela (Victor) - Death and God: The Case of Richard Swinburne", Cosculluela
- "Davis (Stephen T.) - Philosophy and Life After Death: The Questions and the Options", Davies
- "Edwards (Paul), Ed. - Immortality", Edwards
- "Gasser (Georg), Ed. - Personal Identity and Resurrection: How Do We Survive Our Death?", Gasser
- "Hick (John) - Death and Eternal Life", Hick
- "Johnston (Mark) - Surviving Death", Johnston
→ "Caldwell (Christopher M.) - Review - 'Surviving Death' by Mark Johnston"
- "Lewis (Hywel David) - Persons and Life After Death", Lewis_H
- "Martin (L. Michael) & Augustine (Keith) - The Myth of an Afterlife: The Case against Life After Death", Martin & Augustine20
- "Merricks (Trenton) - How to Live Forever Without Saving Your Soul: Physicalism and Immortality", Merricks
- "More (Max) & Vita-More (Natasha) - Transhumanism: Engines of Life: Identity and Beyond Death - Introduction", More
- "Oderberg (David) - Survivalism, Corruptionism, and Mereology", Oderberg
- "Ogilvie (Daniel M.) - A Partial History of Afterlife Beliefs", Ogilvie
- "Penelhum (Terence), Ed. - Immortality", Penelhum
- "Rawlings (Maurice S.) - To Hell and Back: Life after Death - Startling New Evidence", Rawlings
- "Rosenberg (Jay) - 'Life After Death' - In Search of the Question", Rosenberg
→ "Silverstein (Harry) - Review of Thinking Clearly About Death by Jay F. Rosenberg", Silverstein
- "Sider (Ted) - Hell and Vagueness", Sider
- "Swinburne (Richard) - The Possibility of Life after Death", Swinburne
- "Tipler (Frank) - The Physics of Immortality: Modern Cosmology, God and the Resurrection of the Dead", Tipler, especially
→ "Tipler (Frank) - The Physics of Immortality: Preface"
→ "Tipler (Frank) - Comparison of the Heaven Predicted by Modern Physics With the Afterlife Hoped For by the Great World Religions"
- "Van Evra (James) - On Death as a Limit", Van Evra
- "Vasalou (Sofia) - Personal identity across temporal gaps: an Islamic view of the problem", Vasalou
- "Wilson (P. Eddy) - Is Seamless Post-Mortem Existence Necessary for Survival?", Wilson
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Personal Identity and the Survival of Death", Zimmerman
- This is mostly a place-holder21.
Footnote 10: Footnote 19:
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (29/09/2020 00:54:43).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- The categorised reading list includes a lot of material of purely religious interest, the vast bulk of which I’ve ignored
- Even so, the reading list is too long.
- I’ve not noted individual papers from this volume, except where I’ve read them.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020