- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Existence1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 30/11/2019 22:58:05): Existence
- I’m interested in persistence4, as a factor in the topic of Personal Identity. In order to persist5 a thing has in the first place to exist.
- So, I need a basic understanding of this topic, one of the foundational questions of metaphysics. But, maybe I need not stray too far into what is a fascinating subject in its own right.
- The topic of this Note is one of logic6 – what it is for a thing to exist – rather than ontology7 – what exists, though there will be some overlap between the two Notes.
- There’s also the issue of Meinongian claims, and the possibility of Subsistence.
- More to the point, there are related topics closer to my research concerns:-
→ the various Nihilist8 positions in Personal Identity,
→ the possibility of Intermittent Existence9
→ Vague Existence10
→ Disembodied Existence11
- This topic gets tangled up with the Ontological Argument12 and the notion of necessary13 existence. I’ve omitted all but a taste of this topic from the reading list.
- For a page of Links14 to this Note, Click here. Unfortunately, the list – only a non-updating one – is far too long to be of any use, being bloated by irrelevant items.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read15 include the following:-
- "Adams (Robert Merrihew) - Has It Been Proved That All Real Existence Is Contingent?", Adams
- "Hartshorne (Charles) - The Necessarily Existent", Hartshorne
- "Sainsbury (Mark) - Philosophical Logic: Existence", Sainsbury
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - McGinn on Existence", Van Inwagen
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Aune (Bruce) - Existence", Aune
- "Ayer (A.J.) - Logic and Existence", Ayer
- "Azzouni (Jody) - Deflating Existential Consequence: A Case for Nominalism", Azzouni
- "Beck (Simon) - Let's Exist Again (Like We Did Last Summer)", Beck
- "Bednarowski (W.) - The Riddle of Existence", Bednarowski
- "Burke (Michael) - Introduction to Existence", Burke
- "Butchvarov (Panayot) - Existence", Butchvarov
- "Cartwright (Richard) - Negative Existentials", Cartwright
- "Hawley (Katherine) - Vagueness and Existence", Hawley
- "Kaufman (Frederik) - Pre-Vital and Post-Mortem Non-Existence", Kaufman
- "Lowe (E.J.) - The Puzzle of Existence", Lowe
- "Mackie (J.L.) - The Riddle of Existence", Mackie
- "McGinn (Colin) - Existence", McGinn
- "Oppy (Graham) - Is existence a predicate?", Oppy
- "Oppy (Graham) - Review of Dale Jacquette's 'Meinongian Logic: The Semantics of Existence and Nonexistence'", Oppy
- "Prior (Arthur N.) - Time, Existence, and Identity", Prior
- "Quine (W.V.) - Existence and Quantification", Quine
- "Quine (W.V.) - Notes on Existence and Necessity", Quine
- "Salmon (Nathan) - Existence", Salmon
- "Sosa (Ernest) - Nonabsolute Existence and Conceptual Relativity", Sosa
→ "Sosa (Ernest) - Addendum to 'Nonabsolute Existence and Conceptual Relativity': Objections and Replies", Sosa
- "Strawson (Peter) - Is Existence Never a Predicate?", Strawson
- "Williams (Christopher) - Death and Other Difficulties", Williams
- "Williams (Christopher) - What is Existence?", Williams
- "Williams (S.G.) - Existence", Williams
- "Williamson (Timothy) - Necessary Existents", Williamson
- This is mostly a place-holder16. Some of the items on the categorised reading-list relate to the existence of God.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (30/11/2019 22:58:05).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020