- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Animation1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 13/05/2020 18:57:36): Animation
- “Animation” is an important matter. Just when does a particular life begin, and does it require any “vital force” or “infused soul” (as the term implies)?
- Of course, the scientific answer to the latter question is that it doesn’t.
- However, such notions are central to many religious claims, though are not assumed by Christian Materialists4.
- This Note will be constructed alongside those for
→ Life5 and
- The links-page below reminded me that I need to consider:-
→ reanimation, and
→ suspended animation
- Both of these concepts are beloved of the Transhumanists7, at least those who are interested in the idea that their body or brain might be frozen until the times comes when it is possible for their reanimation.
- Suspended animation – in the form of cryoscopic suspension – appears as a TE8 in "Clark (Andy) & Kuhn (Robert Lawrence) - Aeon: Video - Andy Clark - Virtual immortality", to try to demonstrate that we are “patterns in information space”.
- For a page of Links9 to this Note, Click here. Naturally, I’ve had to remove spurious references in the links below to “animations” in IT, and to thinkers being “animated” by various exciting ideas.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read10 include the following:-
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - When Do Persons Begin and End?", Baker, 2005
- "Feldman (Fred) - The Enigma of Death", Feldman
- "Feldman (Fred) - A Materialist Conception of Death", Feldman
- "Gasser (Georg) - Personal Identity and Resurrection: Introduction", Gasser
- "O'Connell (Mark) - To be a Machine", O’Connell
- "Thomas (Janice L.) - What matters for survival and the logical possibility of resurrection", Thomas
- I don’t currently have a categorised reading list for this topic, but a reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Diamond (James J.) - Abortion, Animation, and Biological Hominization", Diamond, 1975
- "Hershenov (David) & Koch-Hershenov (Rose J.) - Anscombe on Embryos and Persons", Hershenov, 2016
- "Puccetti (Roland) - Conquest of Death", Puccetti
- This is a place-holder11.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (13/05/2020 18:57:36).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020