- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Time Travel1' during my Thesis research, as from 2011.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 13/10/2017 13:48:00): Time Travel
- From the perspective of Personal Identity, Time travel enters into various thought experiments4. It is sometimes taken as a knock-down argument against Endurantism5, because if you travel back in time to talk to your former self, it doesn’t look as though you can be wholly present at a particular time, as different “time slices” of “you” are located in different places at the same time.
- Perdurantism6 isn’t worried by this TE, though it would seem to make the topology of the spacetime worms rather complex (and scattered).
- As for a reading-list:-
- There are three SEP articles:-
→ "Smith (Nicholas J.J.) - Time Travel",
→ "Arntzenius (Frank) & Maudlin (Tim) - Time Travel and Modern Physics", and
→ "Earman (John) & Wuthrich (Christian) - Time Machines".
- There is also a useful course:-
→ "Richmond (Alasdair) - Time Travel and Philosophy"
- Otherwise, it may be best to start with an issue of the Monist7
→ "Varzi (Achille) - Time-Travel".
→ "Sider (Ted) - Traveling In A- And B- Time",
→ "LePoidevin (Robin) - The Cheshire Cat Problem And Other Spatial Obstacles To Backwards Time Travel",
→ "Simon (Jonathan) - Is Time Travel A Problem For The Three-Dimensionalist?",
→ "Slater (Matthew H.) - The Necessity Of Time Travel (On Pain Of Indeterminacy)",
→ "Vranas (Peter B.M.) - Do Cry Over Spilt Milk: Possibly You Can Change The Past",
→ "Smith (Nicholas J.J.) - Why Would Time Travelers Try To Kill Their Younger Selves?",
→ "Stevenson (Gordon Park) - Time Travel, Agency, And Nomic Constraint",
→ "Savitt (Steven) - Time Travel And Becoming", and
→ "Horacek (David) - Time Travel In Indeterministic Worlds".
- See also the rather eccentric – though aptly entitled – "Ehring (Douglas) - Personal Identity and Time Travel".
- The categorised reading-list below lists even more items (as well as the above). This topic isn’t central enough to my concerns for me to pursue them.
- This is mostly a place-holder8.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (13/10/2017 13:48:00).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Footnote 7: Monist, July 2005, Vol. 88 Issue 3.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018