- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Statue and the Clay1' during my Thesis research, as from end October 2016.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 14/07/2019 18:05:46): Statue and the Clay
- This topic arises in the theory of material constitution4 when we are considering whole objects (rather than their parts) that appear to be co-located because they are (or seem to be) of different kinds, or (seem to) have different persistence conditions.
- This issue was exploited by "Gibbard (Allan) - Contingent Identity" (1975) in the cause of contingent identity5.
- Supporters of the Constitution View6 of Personal Identity (are sometimes said to) hold that persons are constituted by their bodies much as statues are constituted by lumps of clay.
- For a page of Links7 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read8, include the following:-
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with:-
- "Burke (Michael) - Copper Statues and Pieces of Copper: A Challenge to the Standard Account", Burke, 1992
- "Chihara (Charles S.) - The Many Persons Problem", Chihara, 1994
- "Cowley (Fraser) - The Identity of a Person and His Body", Cowley, 1971
- "Doepke (Frederick) - Spatially Coinciding Objects", Doepke, 1982
- "Fine (Kit) - Coincidence and Form", Fine, 2008
- "Frances (Bryan) - Externalism, Physicalism, Statues, and Hunks", Frances, 2007
- "Francescotti (Robert) - Statues and Their Constituents: Whether Consitution is Identity", Francescotti, 2003
- "Gallois (Andre) - The Puzzle Cases", Gallois, 1998
- "Heil (John) - Substantial Identity", Heil, 2003
- "Hershenov (David) - Merrick's Identification of the Person and Organism", Hershenov, 2001?
- "Lowe (E.J.) - Coinciding Objects: In Defence of the ‘Standard Account’", Lowe, 1995
- "Merricks (Trenton) - No Statues", Merricks, 2000
- "Moyer (Mark) - Statues and Lumps: A Strange Coincidence?", Moyer, 2006
- "Perry (John) - The Same F", Perry, 1970
- "Sutton (Catherine S.) - Colocated Objects, Tally-Ho: A Solution to the Grounding Problem", Sutton, 2012
- "Thomson (Judith Jarvis) - The Statue and the Clay", Thomson, 1998
- "Wiggins (David) - On Being in the Same Place at the Same Time", Wiggins, 1968
- Also, see Bob Doyle: Statue and the Clay.
- This is mostly a place-holder9.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (14/07/2019 18:05:46).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019