- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Twinning1' during my Thesis research, as from end October 2016.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 14/01/2017 20:18:14): Twinning
- Monozygotic Twinning is a special case of Fission4, though in the case of conjoined-twinning, it’s a case of fusion5 (maybe with prior fission). Dizygotic twinning is uninteresting from the perspective of my thesis.
- Monozygotic Twinning is an important factor – modally even when there is no twinning in fact – in the topic of Personal Identity.
- The possibility of monozygotic twinning is said to be the reason why no existing individual can be numerically identical to an earlier zygote.
- A zygote is capable of fissioning into two qualitatively identical, but numerically distinct daughter zygotes.
- So, a particular zygote has the modal property of developing into two monozygotic twins.
- Given that it cannot be identical to both6 of them, it cannot be identical to either (given that they are exactly similar there is no reason why one should be its closest continuer7 rather than the other).
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere8) might start with:-
- "Barilan (Y. Michael) - One or Two: An Examination of the Recent Case of the Conjoined Twins from Malta", Barilan, 2003
- "Campbell (Tim) & McMahan (Jeff) - Animalism and the Varieties of Conjoined Twinning", Campbell+McMahan, 2010
- "Ford (Norman) - Implantation and the Beginning of a Human Individual", Ford, 1988
- "Koch-Hershenov (Rose J.) - Conjoined Twins and the Biological Account of Personal Identity", Koch-Hershenov, 2006
- "Koch-Hershenov (Rose J.) - Totipotency, Twinning, and Ensoulment at Fertilization", Koch-Hershenov, 2006
- "Lockwood (Michael) - When Does a Life Begin?", Lockwood, 1987
- "Olson (Eric) - The Metaphysical Implications of Conjoined Twining", Olson, 2014
- "Smith (Barry) & Brogaard (Berit) - Sixteen Days", Smith+Brogaard, 2003
→ "Damschen (Gregor), Gomez-Lobo (Alfonso) & Schonecker (Dieter) - Sixteen Days? A Reply to B. Smith and B. Brogaard on the Beginning of Human Individuals", Damschen et al, 2003
- This is mostly a place-holder9. Currently, just see the categorised reading-list.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (14/01/2017 20:18:14).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Footnote 6: See the Logic of Identity.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Footnote 8: I probably ought to hive off the papers on Conjoined Twins to the Note on Fusion.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018