- Vaguely interesting. He makes lots of points about why “ego dissolution” is a good thing.
- Evans mentions the Alpha course, which he attended during a year investigating charismatic Christianity, admits to having “succumbed to the ecstasy” in a church full of charismatic pensioners. When the preacher asked if anyone wanted to commit their life to Jesus, he raised his hand, announced his conversion on his newsletter and 1/3 of his subscribers immediately unsubscribed!
- Later, the high passed and doubts came back – there were basic Christian tenets he couldn’t accept, “particularly the idea that the only way to God is through faith in Jesus”.
- He put it all down to the “ritual and the crowd emotion” – or even being hypnotised by the preacher, but denied that this made it unhealthy or unspiritual.
- For his Amazon page, see Web Link
- Sub-title: "You don’t need drugs or a church for an ecstatic experience that helps transcend the self and connect to something bigger."
- See Web Link
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2017
- Mauve: Text by correspondent(s) or other author(s); © the author(s)