- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Uploading1' during my Thesis research, as from 2017.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Summary" above.
Write-up2 (as at 04/05/2018 12:25:55): Uploading
- This Note will discuss the Transhumanist4 fantasy of uploading you5 (or your mind) to a computer6.
- For this to be possible, the “Computer Model” of the mind – which seems to be the dominant paradigm in neuroscience – needs to be true of us, and not just a model. This is the view that the brain operates like a digital computer and is disputed by (eg.) "Epstein (Robert) - The empty brain".
- "Miller (Kenneth D.) - Will You Ever Be Able to Upload Your Brain?" points out the formidable technical obstacles to building a full model of the brain, and that consequently Uploading is not to be anticipated any century soon. The author does, however, think that it is metaphysically possible.
- I don’t believe this, for the same reason that I don’t think Teletransportation7 – even if technically feasible – is identity-preserving.
- Additionally, this Note should cover the – more realistic but still technologically very remote – possibility of uploading information into our brains, though this overlaps with Brain State Transfer8, though the latter is the uploading of an entire psychology rather than information (and to a brain, rather than a computer).
- For a page of Links9 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read10, include11 the following:-
- "Dainton (Barry) - Self: Philosophy In Transit: Prologue", Dainton12
- "Epstein (Robert) - The empty brain", Epstein
- "Graziano (Michael) - Endless fun", Graziano
- "Grossman (Lev) - 2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal", Grossman
- "Hawthorne (John X.) - Are You Ready For The Cyborg Technology Coming In 2018?", Hawthorne
- "Kaku (Michio) - The Future of the Mind: The Scientific Quest To Understand, Enhance and Empower the Mind", Kaku
- "Miller (Kenneth D.) - Will You Ever Be Able to Upload Your Brain?", Miller
- "O'Connell (Mark) - To be a Machine", O’Connell
- "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Immortality", Shoemaker
- "Smith (Barry C.), Broks (Paul), Kennedy (A.L.) & Evans (Jules) - What Does It Mean to Be Me?", Smith, etc.13
- A reading list (where not covered elsewhere) might start with the above paper by Miller, and then:-
- "Agar (Nicholas) - Whereto Transhumanism?: The Literature Reaches a Critical Mass", Agar
- "Cerullo (Michael A.) - Uploading and Branching Identity", Cerullo
- "Chalmers (David) - The singularity: A philosophical analysis", Chalmers
- "Hayworth (Kenneth) - Killed by bad philosophy: Why brain preservation followed by mind uploading is a cure for death", Hayworth
- "Koene (Randal A.) - Uploading to Substrate-Independent Minds", Koene
- "Merkle (Ralph C.) - Uploading", Merkle
- "Prisco (Giulio) - Transcendent Engineering", Prisco
- This is mostly a place-holder14.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (04/05/2018 12:25:55).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
- If only a “non-updating” run has been made, the links are only one-way – ie. from the page of links to the objects that reference this Note by mentioning the appropriate key-word(s). The links are also only indicative, as they haven’t yet been confirmed as relevant.
- Once an updating run has been made, links are both ways, and links from this Notes page (from the “Authors, Books & Papers Citing this Note” and “Summary of Note Links to this Page” sections) are to the “point of link” within the page rather than to the page generically. Links from the “links page” remain generic.
- There are two sorts of updating runs – for Notes and other Objects. The reason for this is that Notes are archived, and too many archived versions would be created if this process were repeatedly run.
- Frequently I’ll have made copious marginal annotations, and sometimes have written up a review-note.
- In the former case, I intend to transfer the annotations into electronic form as soon as I can find the time.
- In the latter case, I will have remarked on the fact against the citation, and will integrate the comments into this Note in due course.
- My intention is to incorporate into these Notes comments on material I’ve already read rather than engage with unread material at this stage.
Footnote 12: Footnote 13:
- I may have read others in between updates of this Note – in which case they will be marked as such in the “References and Reading List” below.
- Papers or Books partially read have a rough %age based on the time spent versus the time expected.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018