- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Race1' during my Thesis research, as from 2020.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 08/07/2020 00:46:05): Race
- The subject of Race is such a hot topic at the moment, that I really ought to study something about it so I can talk sensibly and critique what others say, rather than relying on my intuitions4 (otherwise known as “prejudices” – a term to be avoided in this context).
- Its rather tenuous connection to my Thesis is as a sub-topic of Narrative Identity5 given how important racial identity is to some people (maybe to all, but tacitly so for the dominant race in a society).
- There seems to be some disagreement about whether “races” actually exist. See Aeon – Hochman – Is ‘race’ modern?6.
- For a Page of Links7 to this Note, Click here. Unfortunately, the algorithm picks up irrelevant items including the term “grace” and other words containing the string “race”.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read8 include the following:-
- Aeon – Blum – The white man Jesus9
- Aeon – Hochman – Is ‘race’ modern?10
- Aeon – Kohn – The Neanderthal mind11
- Aeon – Ojiaku – Is everybody a racist?12
- Aeon – Okoro – This is your morning13
- Aeon – Smith – For centuries European aristocrats proudly claimed foreign ancestry14
- "Fetzer (James) - The evolution of intelligence: TOC & Preface", Fetzer
- "Williams (Joanna) - Who cares what colour philosophers are? It’s their ideas that matter, not their race or sex", Williams
- A further reading list might start with:-
- "Boxill (Bernard), Ed. - Race and Racism: Oxford Readings in Philosophy", Boxill15
- "Brues (Alice M.) - People and Races", Brues
- "Cohen (Mark) - Race and IQ Again: A review of Race: the Reality of Human Differences by Vincent Sarich and Frank Miele", Cohen
- "Devlin (Bernie), Fienberg (Stephen E.), Resnick (Daniel P.) & Roeder (Kathryn) - Intelligence, Genes & Success - Scientists Respond to The Bell Curve", Devlin etc.
- "Glasgow (Joshua) - Another Look at the Reality of Race, By Which I Mean Race-f", Glasgow
- "Herrnstein (Richard J.) & Murray (Charles) - The Bell Curve - Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life", Herrnstein & Murray
- "Olusoga (David) - Black and British: A Forgotten History", Olusoga
- "Smith (Zadie) - White Teeth", Smith
- Aeon – Smithsimon – How to see race16
- Aeon – Whitmarsh – Black Achilles17
- There has been much criticism in the UK of “the British” (whoever they were) and their Empire. I’m sure there’s a lot to answer for, though maybe less so when judged by the standards, exigencies and knowledge of the time(s), but it’s worth absorbing some of the detail from a variety of political standpoints. So, I intend to read:-
- This is mostly a place-holder18.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (08/07/2020 00:46:05).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
- Individual papers in this collection not separately identified.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020