- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Evolution1' during my Thesis research, as from 2020.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 18/09/2020 20:44:10): Evolution
- What has Evolution got to do with my Thesis on the topic of Personal identity? Well, not a lot, however …
- As I’m proposing a version of Animalism4, one of the new arguments for Animalism (due to Stephan Blatti) is the that from our evolutionary origins. If we’ve evolved from animals, then that’s likely what we are5.
- There will be some considerable overlap between this Note and that on Homo Sapiens6. I intend to segregate the text and reading lists in due course.
- There’s also an overlap between speculations on the future of human evolution and Transhumanism7.
- Evolutionary Psychology has much to say (and much that is disputed) about what makes us tick.
- Of course, the topic is important and interesting in its own right, but I can’t spend much time on it. Any focus should be on human evolution.
- I can spare no time here on disputes about the truth of evolutionary theory, though if I’ve read anything on the subject, I’ve included it under “items read”.
- For a Page of Links8 to this Note, Click here. There are vastly too many references for an updating run, but this set of links – along with the categorised reading list below – give a lot of items to choose from.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read9 include the following:-
- "Alexander (Denis) - Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose?", Alexander
- "Asma (Stephen) - Imagination is ancient", Asma
- "Donald (Merlin) - A Mind So Rare: Prologue", Donald
- A further reading list might start with:-
- "Barkow (Jerome), Cosmides (Leda) & Tooby (John), Eds. - The Adapted Mind: Evolutionary Psychology and the Generation of Culture", Barkow, Cosmides & Tooby
- "Blatti (Stephan) - A New Argument for Animalism", Blatti
- "Bostrom (Nick) - The Future of Human Evolution", Bostrom
- "Burling (Robbins) - The Talking Ape: How Language Evolved", Burling
- "Carruthers (Peter) - The Evolution of Working Memory", Carruthers
- "Carruthers (Peter), Fletcher (Logan) & Ritchie (J. Brendan) - The Evolution of Self-knowledge", Carruthers
- "Cosmides (Leda) & Tooby (John) - Evolutionary Psychology: A Primer", Cosmides & Tooby
- "Donald (Merlin) - A Mind So Rare: The Evolution of Human Consciousness", Donald
- "Lieberman (Philip) - Eve Spoke - Human Language and Human Evolution", Lieberman
- This is mostly a place-holder10.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (18/09/2020 20:44:10).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020