- This pseudo-Paper is intended as the mechanism to record time spent on the Note 'Plants1' during my Thesis research, as from 2020.
- For the actual time recorded, click on "Paper Statistics" above.
Write-up2 (as at 17/10/2020 23:38:24): Plants
- I’d never imagined having to include a Note on Plants under the topic of Personal Identity. However, there appears to be a movement in biology and analytic philosophy to include plants in the category of organisms with minds4, on account of their ability to take advantage of their environment.
- I think this is absurd, and is simply changing the meaning of “mind”.
- For a Page of Links5 to this Note, Click here.
- Works on this topic that I’ve actually read6 include the following:-
- "Gagliano (Monica) - The mind of plants: Thinking the unthinkable", Gagliano
- "Meincke (Anne Sophie) - Human Persons – A Process View", Meincke
- "Meincke (Anne Sophie) - Review of Chauncey Maher's 'Plant Minds'", Meincke
- A further reading list might start with:-
- "Calvo (Paco) - The philosophy of plant neurobiology: a manifesto", Calvo
- "Calvo (Paco) - What Is It Like to Be a Plant?", Calvo
- "Trewavas (Anthony) - Aspects of Plant Intelligence", Trewavas
- "Trewavas (Anthony) - Plant intelligence: Mindless mastery", Trewavas
- This is mostly a place-holder7.
- This is the write-up as it was when this Abstract was last output, with text as at the timestamp indicated (17/10/2020 23:38:24).
- Link to Latest Write-Up Note.
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020