Amazon Book Description
- In The English Jeremy Paxman sets out to find about the English. Not the British overall, not the Scots, not the Irish or Welsh, but the English. Why do they seem so unsure of who they are?
- Jeremy Paxman is to many the embodiment of Englishness yet even he is sometimes forced to ask: who or what exactly are the English? And in setting about addressing this most vexing of questions, Paxman discovers answers to a few others. Like:
- Why do the English actually enjoy feeling persecuted?
- What is behind the English obsession with games?
- How did they acquire their odd attitudes to sex and to food?
- Where did they get their extraordinary capacity for hypocrisy?
- Covering history, attitudes to foreigners, sport, stereotypyes, language and much, much more, The English brims over with stories and anecdotes that provide a fascinating portrait of a nation and its people.
- 'Intelligent, well-written, informative and funny ... A book to chew on, dip into, quote from and exploit in arguments'
→ Andrew Marr, Observer
Penguin; 30 September 1999
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020
- Mauve: Text by correspondent(s) or other author(s); © the author(s)