Amazon Product Description
- Neither prose nor poetry but a unique, mesmerising fusion of both, the Qur'an stands as one of the world's most important spiritual texts and is a source of law, instruction and comfort for about one and half billion people around the globe. It is, among the world's religious scriptures, arguably the one that today commands the attention of those unfamiliar with its teachings. There are numerous English translations of the Qur'an available, yet few, if any of them, can claim a phrase-by-phrase translation, concurrent with the original text in Arabic.
- This edition, from the Islamic College for Advanced Studies (ICAS), does just this. In addition to being of invaluable benefit to readers who understand English only, this method also permits those with even a rudimentary grasp of Arabic to draw nearer to the Qur'an's inimitable style and lofty message, by following the Arabic text while being guided by the English. Expertly translated and prepared, this edition of the Qur'an also makes extensive use of classical commentaries from both Sunni and Shi'i sources for broader-based understanding.
- Ali Quli Qara'i studied at Osmania University and the University of Wisconsin. As a seasoned scholar familiar both with the intricacies of the Islamic texts and the English language, Mr Qara'i has dedicated his life to the translation of the classics of Islamic literature into English.
Islamic College for Advanced Studies Publications (16 Feb 2005)
Text Colour Conventions (see disclaimer)
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019
- Mauve: Text by correspondent(s) or other author(s); © the author(s)