Theo Todman's Web Page
For Text Colour-conventions (at end of page): Click HerePersonal Identity - Persistence Criteria
Plug Note1Note last updated: 08/02/2018 18:24:29
- I will cover both persistence criteria and persistence conditions under this head.
- Maybe the former term (“criteria”) focuses on epistemology (how we know something has persisted) and the latter (“conditions”) on metaphysics (what it takes for something to persist).
- I suspect David Shoemaker – in "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Immortality" – of confusing the two (despite his explicit acknowledgement of the distinction) in his rejection of the soul criterion.
- In brief, the persistence conditions for an object of a particular kind are the necessary and sufficient conditions for it persist, that is, to continue in existence.
- With respect to our persistence criteria, David Shoemaker considers the following possibilities:-
- Soul Criterion
- Body Criterion
- Memory Criterion
- Brain-based Memory Criterion
- Psychological Criterion
- Biological Criterion
- The first four feature in "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Immortality".
- The final two in "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity, Rational Anticipation, and Self-Concern".
- In "Shoemaker (David) - Personal Identity and Self-Regarding Ethics - Alternative Approaches" Shoemaker considers two other alternatives:-
- Narrative Identity, and
- Identity Doesn’t Matter.
- Most of the work of this Note will probably be undertaken under the guise of pursuing the Notes above.
- This Note will also overlap to some extent with those on:-
→ Criteria of Identity, and
- Consequently, this Note has no reading list of its own, though it seems to have a categorised reading list containing miscategorised items.
- This is mostly a place-holder.
- A number of my philosophical Notes are “promissory notes” currently only listing the books and papers (if any) I possess on the topic concerned.
- I’ve decided to add some text – whether by way of motivation, or something more substantive – for all these identified topics related to my Thesis.
- As I want to do this fairly quickly, the text may be confused or show surprising ignorance.
- The reader (if such exists) will have to bear with me, and display the principle of charity while this footnote exists.
Text Colour Conventions
- Black: Printable Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018
Return to Home page
Timestamp: 17/06/2018 11:09:32. Comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.