Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Thesis - Journals
(Text as at 22/01/2019 01:03:22)
(For earlier versions of this Note, see the table at the end)
- The reading-list for my Thesis is already too long to manage, but – I have no doubt – new material will always be coming up that I ought to be aware of.
- So, I ought also to keep up to date with what’s going on in other areas of Analytic Philosophy, not to mention recent work relevant to my thesis.
- This Note lists all the journals to which I have access. It’s not practical to review them all, but if I come across a reference in another paper that I want to follow up, this will provide a quick check as to whether I can get it.
- As a Cambridge Alumnus, I have access to JSTOR and thereby to most of the philosophical journals. The access to the text is not up-to-date, but I ought – at least for the most important journals – to inculcate a discipline to:-
- Check the TOCs of the most recent issues, and mark them for future interrogation, and
- Check the most recent issues with content, and briefly review what’s there, downloading where it looks useful.
- Cambridge has recently opened up Cambridge Core to alumni:-
- This allows up-to-date access to 18 philosophy journals2 (Cambridge Core: Philosophy), including those listed below.
- There are also a great number of books available for download. I need to avoid distraction, but if there’s a book by CUP I need, and it’s here, then it’s a good place to go! Unfortunately, not all philosophy books published by CUP are available for free.
- I need to adopt the same discipline as for JSTOR.
- Cambridge also allows access to SAGE Journals. Checking out the Philosophy journals (SAGE: Philosophy) reveals slim pickings.
- Finally3, there’s Project Muse. Not very much of interest.
- I also note Sci-Hub (Wikipedia: Sci-Hub, Sci-Hub (Defunct)). It’s illegal, and also asks you to install an App. Not sure I like the Russian connection. It’d be interesting to know what the coverage is ... presumably it’ll (try to) get any academic paper on any subject. I’ll only take a look if desperate (not very likely).
Relevant Cambridge Core, Sage & Project Muse Journals4
- Dialogue: Canadian Philosophical Review (1963 to date)
- Diogenes (1953-2015)
- Episteme (2004 to date)
- Hastings Center Report (2005-11)
- Hume Studies (Complete)
- Journal of the American Philosophical Association (2015 to date)
- Journal of the History of Philosophy (Complete)
- Philosophy (1926 to date)
- Philosophy and Literature (Complete)
- Philosophy East and West (2000 to date)
- Philosophy, Psychiatry, & Psychology (Complete)
- Religious Studies (1966 to date)
- Review of Symbolic Logic (2008 to date)
- Royal Institute of Philosophy Supplements (1968 to date)
- Think (2003 to date)
- Utilitas (1989 to date)
Relevant JSTOR Journals5
- JSTOR: American Journal of Theology & Philosophy (1980–2018)
- JSTOR: American Philosophical Quarterly (1964-2015)
- JSTOR: Analysis (1933-2013)
- JSTOR: Behavior and Philosophy (1972-2014)
- JSTOR: British Journal for the Philosophy of Science (1950-2013)
- JSTOR: Bulletin of Symbolic Logic (1995–2018)
- JSTOR: Canadian Journal of Philosophy (1971-2013)
- JSTOR: Dialectica (1947–2013)
- JSTOR: Erkenntnis (1930-2015)
- JSTOR: Ethical Theory and Moral Practice (1998-2015)
- JSTOR: Ethics (1890–2015)
- JSTOR: History and Philosophy of the Life Sciences (1979-2015)
- JSTOR: History of Philosophy Quarterly (1984-2015)
- JSTOR: HOPOS: The Journal of the International Society for the History of Philosophy of Science (2011-2015)
- JSTOR: Human Studies (1978-2015)
- JSTOR: Hypatia (1986-2013)
- JSTOR: International Journal for Philosophy of Religion (1970-2015)
- JSTOR: Journal for General Philosophy of Science (1990-2015)
- JSTOR: Journal of Animal Ethics (2011-2018)
- JSTOR: Journal of Applied Philosophy (1984-2013)
- JSTOR: Journal of Ethics (1997-2015)
- JSTOR: Journal of Philosophical Logic (1972-2015)
- JSTOR: Journal of Philosophy (1921-2013)
- JSTOR: Journal of Religious Ethics (1973-2013)
- JSTOR: Journal of Speculative Philosophy (1867-2018)
- JSTOR: Journal of Symbolic Logic (1936-2014)
- JSTOR: Journal of the Society of Christian Ethics (1975-2016)
- JSTOR: Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes (1939-2015)
- JSTOR: Journal of Thought (1966-2017)
- JSTOR: Law and Philosophy (1982-2015)
- JSTOR: Linguistics and Philosophy (1977-2015)
- JSTOR: Metaphilosophy (1970 - 2013)
- JSTOR: Mind (1876-2013)
- JSTOR: Monist (1890-2015)
- JSTOR: New Atlantis (2003-2018)
- JSTOR: Noûs (1967-2013)
- JSTOR: Philosophia Reformata (1936-2015)
- JSTOR: Philosophical Issues (1991-2013)
- JSTOR: Philosophical Perspectives (1987-2013)
- JSTOR: Philosophical Quarterly (1950-2013)
- JSTOR: Philosophical Review (1892-2015)
- JSTOR: Philosophical Studies (1950-2015)
- JSTOR: Philosophical Topics (1981-2018)
- JSTOR: Philosophy (1931-2013)
- JSTOR: Philosophy and Phenomenal Research (1940-2013)
- JSTOR: Philosophy & Public Affairs (1971-2013)
- JSTOR: Philosophy & Rhetoric (1968-2018)
- JSTOR: Philosophy East and West (1951-2015)
- JSTOR: Philosophy of Science (1934-2015)
- JSTOR: Phronesis (1955-2015)
- JSTOR: Pluralist (2006-2018)
- JSTOR: Personalist Forum (1985-1999)
- JSTOR: Proceedings and Addresses of the American Philosophical Association (1927-2015)
- JSTOR: Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society (1887-2013)
- JSTOR: Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society: Supplementary Volumes (1918-2013)
- JSTOR: Process Studies (1971-2018)
- JSTOR: Religious Studies (1965-2013)
- JSTOR: Review of Metaphysics (1947-2015)
- JSTOR: Synthese (1936-2015)
- JSTOR: Studia Logica: An International Journal for Symbolic Logic (1953-2015)
- JSTOR: Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society (1965-2018)
- JSTOR: Vivarium (1963-2015)
In-Page Footnotes:Footnote 1:
Footnote 2: And journals in many other areas of interest!
- This Note used to include a (rather short) list of “interesting” papers that I’d discovered from the journals below, but missed the cut as far as reading was concerned.
- I’ve abandoned this idea as it’s too much work for little benefit.
Footnote 3: More resources are being added all the time; I’ve ignored what seems irrelevant.
Footnote 4: The available issues are usually more recent than those on JSTOR.
- The dates for which I have access to free Text appear in brackets.
- This list was last updated in January 2019, so there may be new journals of interest, and the dates will eventually have moved on.
Table of the Previous 3 Versions of this Note:
|Note last updated
||Reading List for this Topic
||Thesis - Introduction|
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Text Colour Conventions
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2022