Theo Todman's Birkbeck Philosophy Society Page
(Text as at 31/08/2017 19:35:02)
(For earlier versions of this Note, see the table at the end)
THEO TODMAN'S BIRKBECK PHILOSOPHY SOCIETY PAGE
- Follow Link for the Birkbeck Philosophy Society's current Website, a much more professional affair than when I ran it! My original site has now been purged.
- I like to think that the lecture series were amongst the most philosophically distinguished offered in the UK in those years. Philosophers seem to enjoy speaking to Birkbeck students, who are older and more opinionated than the average undergraduate. Consequently we received acceptances from many (some alleged too many) eminent philosophers, talking on what interested them. Herewith the links to the posters for the 2001 - 2002 and 2002 - 2003 seasons.
- I have to admit that, for me, the main attraction of running the Society was the 'wining and dining' facilities offered by the Society. We had the funds for the President of the Society to take visiting speakers out for a meal at a local restaurant before the lecture. I'm useless as a mingler at cocktail parties, but enjoy engaging people in one-to-one earnest conversation. Whether the visiting speakers enjoyed an 80-minute button-holing is another matter entirely. At least they didn't complain.
- I may update this page one day with the exciting experiences of running a philosophy society - and detailed acknowledgement of the others involved. Enough here to acknowledge Dr. Barry C. Smith (Link), who was the then Head of School at Birkbeck, and spared a lot of his time representing the School at the lectures and helped out with the wining and dining of some of the most eminent speakers (that's bound to annoy some others!).
Previous Version of this Note:
|Note last updated
||Reference for this Topic
||1156 (Theo Todman's Birkbeck Philosophy Society Page)
||Theo Todman's Personal Page|
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Authors, Books & Papers Citing this Note
||Birkbeck Philosophy Society - 2001/2002 Programme
||Birkbeck Philosophy Society - 2002/2003 Programme
Text Colour Conventions
- Black: Printable Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019