Theo Todman's Web Page
For Text Colour-conventions (at end of page): Click HereControl - Theo Todman's Personal Page
Note last updated: 31/08/2017 19:35:02
- I was educated at the Crypt School Gloucester (Web Link (http://www.cryptschool.org), 1965-1972), and at King's College Cambridge (Web Link (http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/), 1973-6), where I substantially wasted my opportunities studying a subject (mathematics) for which I was ill-suited, but where I thoroughly enjoyed myself rowing, playing bridge and socializing. I was briefly a Carthusian monk, and was subsequently, until the mid 1990's, an evangelical, fundamentalist, dispensationalist Christian. Now, I aim to be a philosopher. For a long time I was an enthusiast for Hi-Q societies - mainly Mensa (Web Link (http://www.mensa.org.uk/)) and ISPE (Web Link (https://www.thethousand.com/)). After a decade away, I've recently (as of April 2011) rejoined these organisations. I enjoy a (somewhat irregular) work-out at the gym and am occasionally persuaded to play the oboe extremely badly, somewhat improved by lessons which are currently in abeyance. I've also started to learn the piano. I used to enjoy playing chess and bridge, to the latter of which I returned at the end of 2007. As of the end of October 2010 I retired from a career in the central IT function at HSBC (Web Link (http://www.hsbc.com/)). As for family, follow this this link.
- From October 2000 to June 2004, I studied for a BA in Philosophy at Birkbeck College, University of London. This was a part-time course involving 2 or 3 evenings a week (together with all the outside study). I seem to be more fitted to philosophy than mathematics, and graduated with first class honours. I also expended quite a lot of energy running the Birkbeck Philosophy Societyfor a couple of years, thereby meeting a lot of interesting philosophers.
- I started the Master in Philosophical Studies (MPhil Stud) degree at Birkbeck in October 2005, but intermitted in the following spring after my wife Julie had a nasty car accident that debilitated her for 6 months. She is now fully recovered, and I recommenced formal study for a PhD at Birkbeck in October 2007. My area of research was Personal_Identity. Unfortunately, I found it difficult combining research with my work commitments and other interests, so this is also in abeyance. See my Philosophy_Page for the current status.
- From late September to end December 2010, I was at Heythrop College (Web Link (http://www.heythrop.ac.uk/)) studying for an MA in Philosophy and Religion. The document controlling these activities is here. Unfortunately, I've continued my career as a serial academic drop-out, and dropped out. Basically, I've moved on psychologically from taught to research degrees, and don't like having to write superficial tripe to aggressive timeframes.
- So, the grand plan from now on is to write much more than is strictly required for a PhD under my own steam, and then see if I can get the work critiqued at a University.
- For the latest status report on my various projects, follow this link.
- In lieu of completed structures on which to hang my pearls of wisdom, I've created an "Animadversions" notes-database for depositing thoughts pending the creation of the appropriate peg. If I find myself lying awake at night thinking about this or that, the remedy is to leap out of bed and blog it (but not in the official blog. For the Jump Table to the various thoughts, follow this link.
- Finally, I did make a start on an autobiography, but this has stalled. You will be able to see this developing (if it ever does) by following the link.
- All my Notes can be accessed via the following the jump-table.
Text Colour Conventions
- Black: Printable Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2017
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2017
Return to Home page
Timestamp: 11/10/2017 08:32:10. Comments to email@example.com.