Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Status: Priority Task List (2019: September)
(Text as at 01/10/2019 17:47:02)(For the live version and other versions of this Note, see the tables at the end)
*** THIS IS NOT THE LATEST VERSION OF THIS NOTE ***
- This Report allows me to see a simple consolidated list of tasks I'm supposed to be working on.
- This list also appears in my Quarterly Status Report1, and
- Time spent against the tasks appears - where applicable, and in somewhat jumbled form - in the Summary Task List2 between Quarterly Reports.
- The purpose of this report is to allow updates to the list between Quarterly Reports.
- Continue with my Thesis4; in particular
- Fill out those sections that I can write something on without further research.
- Rework the structure so that Level-1 or -2 print produces the thesis with the correct reading-list.
- Continually review the Note describing my Current Beliefs5 on the topic of Personal Identity.
- Complete a full review and update of the Notes I’ve created on Personal Identity, focusing on:-
- Those directly referenced by my Current Beliefs6,
- Those without a reading list: Locke7, Matter8, Memory9, Numerical Identity10, Olson11, Ontology12, Organisms13, Perdurantism14, Person15, Personality16, Physical Continuity17, Physicalism18, Probability19, Psychological Continuity – Forward20, Psychological View21, Psychology22, Reductionism23, Religion24, Semantics25, Siliconisation26, Similarity27, Soul Criterion28, Souls29, Statue and the Clay30, Substance31, Survival32, Taking Persons Seriously33, Unity of the Person34.
- Those not yet in the latest standard format.
- Make progress on specific Chapters of my Thesis, using the materials below →
- Chapter 135 (Introduction). Focussing on:-
→ "Duncan (Matt) - I Think, Therefore I Persist", Complete Write-up
→ "Maurer (Nicholas) - Too Many Persons, or None At All?", Write-up
→ "Strawson (Galen) - 'The Secrets of All Hearts': Locke on Personal Identity", Read
→ "Strawson (Galen) - 'Where our responsibility lies': Locke on personal identity", Read
- Logic of Identity37
→ "Noonan (Harold) - Identity, Constitution and Microphysical Supervenience", Write-up38
- Chapter 239 (What Are We?). Focussing on:-
- Human Beings: Review the Symposium between:-
→ "Robinson (Denis) - Human Beings, Human Animals, and Mentalistic Survival", Read and Write-up
→ "Johnston (Mark) - 'Human Beings' Revisited: My Body is Not an Animal", Complete Write-up
- Persons: "Cottingham (John) - Why we are not 'persons'", Complete Write-up
- "Arikha (Noga) - The Interoceptive Turn", Read and Write-up
- "Dainton (Barry) - Self: Philosophy In Transit", Read and Write-up
- "O'Hear (Anthony), Ed. - Mind, Self and Person", Complete Reading and Write-ups
- Chapter 340 (What Is A Person?).
- "Nanay (Bence) - Catching Desires": Complete write-up
- "Noller (Jorg) - A Transformative Account of Personal Identity",
- "Noller (Jorg) - Person",
- Personites41, develop Note, using:-
→ "Olson (Eric) - Ethics and the Generous Ontology", then …
→ "Eklund (Matti) - The Existence of Personites",
→ "Johnston (Mark) - The Personite Problem: Should Practical Reason Be Tabled?",
→ "Johnston (Mark) - Personites, Maximality and Ontological Trash",
→ "Kaiserman (Alexander) - Stage Theory and the Personite Problem",
→ "Pautz (Adam) - Johnston’s Puzzle about Personites".
- Chapter 442 (Basic Metaphysical Issues). Focus on:-
- Existence: "Williams (Christopher) - Death and Other Difficulties"
- Logic of Identity43
→ "Baxter (Donald L.M.) - Temporary and Contingent Instantiation as Partial Identity"
→ "Colen (J.A.) - In Memoriam Derek Parfit (1942-2017)",
→ "Funkhouser (Eric) - Notes on Parfit, 'Personal Identity'",
→ "Korsgaard (Christine) - Personal Identity and the Unity of Agency: A Kantian Response to Parfit",
→ "Perry (John) - Time, Fission, and Personal Identity",
→ "Parfit (Derek) - Personal Identity",
→ "Parfit (Derek) - Prudence, morality, and the prisoner's dilemma", Note45
→ "Parfit (Derek) - Who do you think you are?",
→ Complete run-through of the Parfit reading-list
- Simple View46
→ "Duncan (Matt) - A Challenge to Anti-Criterialism"
→ "Duncan (Matt) - A Renewed Challenge to Anti-Criterialism"
→ "Duncan (Matt) - Dualists Needn’t Be Anti-Criterialists (Nor Should They Be)"
- Vague Identity47
→ "Broome (John) - Indefiniteness in Identity",
→ "Hawley (Katherine) - Almost Identical, Almost Innocent",
→ "Noonan (Harold) - Vague Identity Yet Again"
- Chapter 548 (Persistence and Time). Focussing on:-
- "Boccardi (Emiliano), Ed. - Manuscrito vol. 39 no.4: Recent Trends in the Philosophy of Time: An Introduction to Time and Reality - I", and
- "Boccardi (Emiliano), Ed. - Manuscrito vol. 40 no.1: The Passage of Time and its Enemies: An Introduction to Time and Reality - II"
- "Botros (Sophie) - Truth, Time and History: A Philosophical Enquiry", and especially
→ "Botros (Sophie) - Truth, Time and History - A Philosophical Inquiry with Dr Sophie Botros"
- "Correia (Fabrice) & Rosenkranz (Sven) - Unfreezing the Spotlight: Tense Realism and Temporal Passage",
- "Costa (Damiano), Gilmore (Cody) & Calosi (Claudio) - Relativity and Three Four-Dimensionalisms",
- Natalja Deng: Various papers, starting with
→ "Deng (Natalja) - One Thing After Another: Why the Passage of Time is Not an Illusion",
- Mauro Dorato: Various papers,
→ "Dorato (Mauro) - Presentism / Eternalism and Endurantism / Perdurantism: why the unsubstantiality of the first debate implies that of the second",
→ "Dorato (Mauro) - Presentism and the Experience of Time",
→ "Dorato (Mauro) - The Irrelevance of the Presentist / Eternalist Debate for the Ontology of Minkowski Spacetime".
- Robert O. Doyle: Complete running through relevant pages, ie:-
→ "Doyle (Robert O.) - Change (Being and Becoming)"
→ "Doyle (Robert O.) - Persistence (Perdurance and Endurance)"
→ "Doyle (Robert O.) - David Wiggins" (part)
- "Fischer (Florian) - Philosophy of time: A slightly opinionated introduction",
- "Friebe (Cord) - Eternalism and the Temporal Content of Persistence", and
- "Friebe (Cord) - Metametaphysics: the Ontology of Spacetime and the Presentist/Eternalist Debate".
- "Haslanger (Sally) & Kurtz (Roxanne), Eds. - Persistence : Contemporary Readings",
- "Hawley (Katherine) - Persistence and Determination",
- "Lebens (Samuel) & Goldschmidt (Tyron) - The Promise of a New Past": Complete and send to Sophie Botros & Michael J. Alter,
- "Miller (Kristie) - Issues in Theoretical Diversity: Persistence, Composition, and Time",
- "Orwell (George), Davison (Peter), Taylor (D.J.), Ed. - Nineteen Eighty-Four: The Annotated Edition",
- "Roselli (Andrea) - How Long is Now? A New Perspective on the Specious Present",
- "Rovelli (Carlo) - The Order of Time",
- "Sattig (Thomas) - The Flow of Time in Experience",
- "Savitt (Steven) - Presentism and Eternalism in Perspective",
- "Sider (Ted), Hawthorne (John) & Zimmerman (Dean), Eds. - Contemporary Debates in Metaphysics",
- "Skow (Bradford) - Objective Becoming",
- "Torrengo (Giuliano) - Time and Simple Existence",
- "Wiggins (David) - Continuants: Their Activity, Their Being, and Their Identity", especially
→ "Noonan (Harold) - Review of Wiggins's 'Continuants'"
→ "Wiggins (David) - Identity, Individuation, and Substance", and
- Chapter 649 (Animalism). Focussing on:-
- "Al-Khalili (Jim) & McFadden (Johnjoe) - Life on the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology",
- "DiFrisco (James) & Mossio (Matteo) - Diachronic Identity in Complex Life Cycles: An Organizational Perspective",
- "Hershenov (David) - Review of David DeGrazia’s Human Identity and Bioethics",
- "Merricks (Trenton) - Objects and Persons",
- "Olson (Eric) - The Human Animal - Personal Identity Without Psychology", my core text,
- "Ross (Don) - Consciousness, language, and the possibility of non-human personhood: Reflections on elephants",
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Persons, Animals, and Identity",
- "Snowdon (Paul) - Persons, Animals, Ourselves",
- Chapter 750 (The Constitution View):-
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Persons and Bodies: A Constitution View": My other core text. Start a serious review.
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder), Etc. - E-Symposium on 'Persons & Bodies: A Constitution View'": Write up reviews of papers,
- "Corcoran (Kevin) - Rethinking Human Nature: A Christian Materialist Alternative to the Soul": Read and review,
- "Loose (Jonathan) - Constitution and the Falling Elevator": Write a Note.
- "Mellor (D.H.) - Micro-composition": Read
- Chapter 851 (Arguments against Animalism):-
- "Bailey (Andrew M.) - The Elimination Argument",
- Dicephalus & Conjoined Twins52
→ "Buchanan (Rachael) - The battle to separate Safa and Marwa"
→ "Campbell (Tim) & McMahan (Jeff) - Animalism and the Varieties of Conjoined Twinning"
→ "Olson (Eric) - The Metaphysical Implications of Conjoined Twining"
→ "Stone (James L.) & Goodrich (James T.) - The craniopagus malformation: classification and implications for surgical separation"
→ "Wikipedia - Craniopagus twins"
- "Olson (Eric) - The Role of the Brainstem in Personal Identity",
- "Olson (Eric) - On Parfit's View That We Are Not Human Beings",
- Elselijn Kingma. Especially
→ "Finn (Suki) - Bun or bump?",
→ "Kingma (Elselijn) - Lady Parts: The Metaphysics of Pregnancy", and
→ "Kingma (Elselijn) - Were You Part of Your Mother?".
→ Update my Note on Conjoined Twins54.
- "Damschen (Gregor), Gomez-Lobo (Alfonso) & Schonecker (Dieter) - Sixteen Days? A Reply to B. Smith and B. Brogaard on the Beginning of Human Individuals",
- "Gomez-Lobo (Alfonso) - Sortals and Human Beginnings",
- "Oderberg (David) - The Metaphysical Status of the Embryo: Some Arguments Revisited",
- "Smith (Barry) & Brogaard (Berit) - Sixteen Days".
- Chapter 1055 (Thought Experiments):-
- "Nielsen (Lasse) - Reconstructing Thought Experiments in Personal Identity",
- "Searle (John), Etc. - Minds, Brains, and Programs",
- Investigate Transhumanism56. In particular,
- "Alexander (Denis) - Healing, enhancement and the human future": Read,
- "Awad (Edmond), Etc. - The Moral Machine experiment": Read,
- "Ball (Philip) - Sim ethics": Write up,
- "Bostrom (Nick) - Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies": Read,
- "Bridle (James) - New Dark Age: Technology and the End of the Future": Read,
- "Davies (Sally) - Women’s minds matter" (and papers cited / resisted)
- "Fry (Hannah) - Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine": Read & review,
- "Graziano (Michael) - Endless fun": Detailed review,
- "Hanson (Robin) - The Age of Em: Work, Love, and Life when Robots Rule the Earth", Read
- "Harari (Yuval Noah) - Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow": Review, especially Chapter 8,
- "Kent (Adrian) - Replication Ethics": Read,
- "Madary (Michael) & Metzinger (Thomas) - Real Virtuality: A Code of Ethical Conduct": Read,
- "Marshall (Richard) & Metzinger (Thomas) - Thomas Metzinger: All About the Ego Tunnel": Read,
- "Midgley (Mary) - Biotechnology and Monstrosity: Why We Should Pay Attention to the 'Yuk Factor'": Complete,
- "O'Connell (Mark) - To be a Machine": Briefly review,
- "Shipley (G.J.) - Review of Andy Clark's 'Natural-Born Cyborgs'": Complete review,
- "Tegmark (Max) - Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence": Read.
- Chapter 1157 (Resurrection):-
- "Barua (Ankur) - Revisiting the Rationality of Reincarnation-Talk": Write a file-note.
- "Bradley (Ben), Feldman (Fred) & Johansson (Jens) - The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Death": Start a review, especially
→ "Zimmerman (Dean) - Personal Identity and the Survival of Death",
- "Luper (Steven), Ed. - The Cambridge Companion to Life and Death": Start a review, especially
→ "Olson (Eric) - The Nature of People",
- "Martin (L. Michael) & Augustine (Keith) - The Myth of an Afterlife: The Case against Life After Death": Start a thorough review,
- Read and review
→ "Badham (Paul) - Christian Beliefs About Life After Death",
→ "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Death and the Afterlife",
→ "Corcoran (Kevin) - Dualism, Materialism and the Problem of Post Mortem Survival",
→ "MacIntosh (J.J.) - Reincarnation and Relativized Identity", and
→ "Noonan (Harold) - The Possibility of Reincarnation",
- As background tasks:-
- Ensure all items in:-
→ "Various - Papers on Desktop", and
→ "Various - Papers in Desk Drawer"
are either addressed or re-filed.
- Convert old PDF-précis, Etc58 to Notes: As an interim task, correct the dates + email address on the longer pdfs.
- Complete cataloguing the books downloaded from Springer,
- Continue with "Marshall (Richard) - Philosophy at 3:AM: Questions and Answers with 25 Top Philosophers",
- Complete reading:-
- "Barker (Jonathan) - Debunking Arguments and Metaphysical Laws",
- "Dennett (Daniel) - The Mind's I - Fantasies and Reflections on Self and Soul: Introduction",
- "Everett (Daniel) - Did Homo erectus speak?",
- "Hofstadter (Douglas) - Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid - A Metaphorical Fugue on Minds and Machines in the Spirit of Lewis Carroll",
- "Gazzaniga (Michael S.) - Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain",
- "Rosling (Hans) - Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About the World – and Why Things Are Better Than You Think" (Note59)
- "Sagan (Carl) - The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candel in the Dark"
- Complete my Note on "Smith (Martin) - Why Throwing 92 Heads in a Row Is Not Surprising" and discuss with Pete & Mike.
- Continue reading and reviewing60 papers issued by Aeon,
- Keep up with the Journals via JSTOR & Cambridge Core.
- Update my Journals Note61: Review the journals I have access to; more are available as a Cambridge Alumnus.
- Keep up with the philosophical world by regular reviews of "Interaction - Philos-List", but only seriously pursue items relevant to my research.
- Philosophy of Religion:
- "Antony (Louise M.) - Philosophers without Gods: Meditations on Atheism and the Secular Life": Continue reading,
- "Ferguson (Matthew) - Κέλσος": Continue reading the Blog.
- Resurrection: Continue reviewing63
- "Alter (Michael J.) - The Resurrection: A Critical Inquiry", and
- "Alter (Michael J.) - The Resurrection & Christian Apologetics: A Critical Inquiry Volume 2".
- Aeon: Read & annotate papers as they arise
- "Finkelstein (Israel) & Silberman (Neil Asher) - The Bible Unearthed": Continue reading.
- "Wright (Eliza) - The Hour Is Coming": Read64.
- Own Website: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
- Complete XRef-re-engineering project:-
- Ensure all links and link-pages use the new XRef table, and pension off the old tables.
- Check all link-types still work and fix any errors.
- Complete the auto-triggering of regeneration of “associated” link pages.
- Fix update bug in Convert_Webrefs.
- Fix Bug whereby PaperSummary pages seem to have “Works-” and “Books/Papers-” Citings that refer to the same link-pages.
- Review effectiveness of hyperlinking method in the light of PhD and Philosophy of Religion experience.
- Where possible, use ID rather than NAME for in-page hyperlinks
- As revealed by Spider: Philosophers_Index_List_OA.htm. Author Names Scrambled. 133 items.
- Completely re-engineer Authors processing to use IDs rather than Names:-
- Authors' pages to be identified by Author_nnnnn, where nnnnn is the (numeric) Author_ID.
- Directory-structure in thousands: Author_mm.
- Use Author_ID in all Tables.
- Need to document at the same time!
- Needed because of difficulties transferring special characters in file names.
- Enable "alternate names" for identically-named authors (to avoid middle-initial = X).
- Review architecture to improve performance; Need to document first
- Investigate whether multiple Subject/Topic/Subtopic usage leads anywhere (ie. are just the first (of 3) actually used). Fix anything amiss.
- Provide Functional Documentation for Website Generator (using Notes)
- "Sitepoint (Learnable) - Sitepoint Learnable Web Development Courses": Plan what to do (and with the eBooks in my possession).
- "Harvard University - CS50 Introduction to Computer Science": Re-start, or maybe just "audit".
- Bitcoin & Blockchain: Understand better
- Bootstrap: Investigate.
- Read "PC Pro - Computing in the Real World".
- iCloud: Re-install & solve 'The upload folder for iCloud Photos is missing' problem. Try on new Laptop.
- PDFelement: Purchase & Commission upgrade from Version 5 to Version 7 for $39 - await new Laptop
- Purchase & Commission new Lenovo Laptop: awaiting replacement following motherboard failure!
- Add "Note Alternates" to Note pages.
- Allow the option to concatenate Notes in the Printed version (ie. linearly embed them essay-style), rather than treating the hyperlinks as footnotes – but still keep the hyperlink & cross-referencing in place.
- For use as "disclaimers" - eg. for "Plug Notes".
- For Thesis / essays: the difficulty here is the need for linking passages to make the text run smoothly.
- As revealed by Spider: #Reference links: fail for Printable Notes. 24 items.
- As revealed by Spider: Blackberry links from archived Note 1010 (Maintenance Dashboard). 38 items.
- As revealed by Spider: Blog66 Achived Notes - sundry links to Printable Notes. Live Note OK. 100 items outstanding.
- As revealed by Spider: Old links from Archive Notes to (non-existent) Archived Printable Notes. 42 items.
- As revealed by Spider: Sundry uncategorised. Refs failing. 30 items.
- Investigate Note_Links: Section references seem to be incorrect
- Printable Notes: fix the bug whereby the “private” flag is round the wrong way.
- Suppress the publication of the Printable versions of Temp Notes
- As revealed by Spider: Links failing in NotesPrint_1282_0_P_R.htm. 20 items.
- Develop software & procedure to make adding more content to the photos pages easier to undertake.
- Timeline software: Add photos for Holidays
- Determine why Recalculation & Changed Book/Papers produce unneeded regeneration.
- Full Website Regeneration is now taking 35 hours. Investigate why so, and improve performance!
- Analyse the results of the data collection exercise and design a plan of campaign to fix broken Internal links and prevent recurrence.
- Correct the code so the problems discovered by the Spider don’t recur.
- Delete 'orphan pages' that are never linked to, ie. Use the Spider to prune redundant pages67 automatically where possible.
- Fix the historical data where errors are uncovered by the Spider. An easier task now the site has a full-regen function.
- The Spider was generating WebRefs. Procedurally, this ought not to have been possible.
I've re-opened the case!
- The major problem turned out to be because unprocessed68 URLs got added to the end of the last WebLinks_Tester_Brief page, which then got Spidered. I've stopped this happening, so hopefully the problem will not recur. The fix was made in 18Q2.
- However, 4 other creations appeared - dated 18/05/18 - from the run of 10/07/18. The creation date was from the previous spider run, but the IDs show that they were produced in the latest run.
- Look into Sistrix Smart69. Errors and warnings itemised are:-
- Duplicate content: seems to be variants on theotodman.com
- Title Tags: Empty, too long, identical
- Page Not Found
- Filesize in excess of 1Mb
- Meta-Description: Empty
- Few words on Page
- H1: Not used, used multiple times per page, identical across pages
- Pictures: Alt attribute missing
- As revealed by Spider: WebLinks_Tester_Brief_12.htm. Refs failing. 1 item.
- As revealed by Spider: WebLinks_Tester_Full_Map.htm (etc). Refs failing. 117 items.
- As revealed by Spider: WebLinks_Tester_Map_3.htm (etc). Refs failing. 20 items.
- Documentation & Bug-fixes: Phase 2
- Re-document the procedures in the light of recent changes.
- Resolve issues generated / revealed by the spider.
- Investigate - and fix where possible - broken links.
- Reformat WebLinks_Tester.htm, WebLinks_Tester_Map.htm, WebLinks_Tester_Full.htm & WebLinks_Tester_Full_Map.htm
- Clarify 'truncated': Display, not link
- Allow more space for 'link returned', 'issue' and 'display text'
- The 'As Above" lines waste space. Only for Notes Archive? Consolidate onto single second line.
- Reformat WebLinks_Tester_Brief: Allow more space for 'link returned', 'issue' and 'display text'
- Other Websites: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
- Create "Small Sites" database for Alaric (if chased)
- Termly updates to the Enigma Ensemble Website.
- Periodic updates to Sophie Botros
- Practice the oboe for two 30-minute sessions each and every day71 – focussing on the items below and …
- Occasionally combine into an hour-long session to build up stamina further.
- Attend the summer sessions of The Enigma Ensemble.
- Run through the Enigma Ensemble portfolio, practicing the active pieces.
- Work through, and perfect, scales & arpeggios72 for Grades I-VII, using
→ "Trinity Guildhall - Trinity Guildhall Scales & Arpeggios for Oboe (Grades 1–8)", and
→ "ABRSM - Scales and Arpeggios for Oboe, Grades 1-8 (ABRSM Scales & Arpeggios)".
- Improve sight-reading by playing through
→ "Trinity Guildhall - Sound at Sight Oboe Grades 1-8", and
→ "Davies (John) & Harris (Paul) - 80 Graded Studies for Oboe: Book 1".
- Occasionally review Grade VI pieces, in particular
→ "Boni (Giovanni) - Sonata in G" (Prelude only),
→ "Davies (John) & Harris (Paul) - 80 Graded Studies for Oboe: Book 2" (Blatt - Study No. 52),
→ "Miller (Vojislav) & Liebermann (Winfried), Eds. - Test Pieces for Orchestral Auditions (Orchester Probespiel) - Oboe" (Eroica, Aida, Der Freischutz),
→ "Nielsen (Carl) - Two Fantasy Pieces, Op. 2" (Romanze only)
- Prepare Grade VII pieces, in particular73
→ "Albinoni (Tomaso) - Concerto in D Minor Op. 9/2 for Oboe & Piano",
→ "Davies (John) & Harris (Paul) - 80 Graded Studies for Oboe: Book 2" (Ferling - Study No. 62)
→ "Fiocco (J.H.) - Arioso - Oboe + Piano",
→ "Head (Michael) - Presto for Oboe & Piano",
→ "Miller (Vojislav) & Liebermann (Winfried), Eds. - Test Pieces for Orchestral Auditions (Orchester Probespiel) - Oboe" (Mozart Jupiter, Tchaikovsky Pathetique, Stravinsky Pucinella),
→ "Mower (Mike) - The Good Tempered Oboe" ('Jauntless Jig' & 'May The Fourth Be With You'),
→ "Nielsen (Carl) - Two Fantasy Pieces, Op. 2" (Humoresque),
→ "Saint-Saens (Camille) - Sonata Op.166 in D Major for Oboe & Piano" (1st Movement),
→ "Schumann (Robert) - 3 Romances, Op. 94 for Oboe and Piano" (1st & 3rd Movements).
- Read and apply oboe practice techniques recommended by Martin Schuring.
- Read "Caplan (Stephen) - Oboe: The Breathing Book".
- Piano: Try to develop some competence as an aid to theory, so:-
- Continue working through "Rhodes (James) - How to Play the Piano",
- Work through "ABRSM - Selected Piano Exam Pieces 2009-2010: Grade 1", and
- Try to play by ear, using for inspiration:-
→ "Cannel (Ward) & Marx (Fred) - How to Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons: What Music Is and How to Make It at Home".
- Theory: Prepare for Grade 5 Theory, so:-
→ "Taylor (Eric) - The AB Guide to Music Theory - Part 1", and
→ "Taylor (Eric) - The AB Guide to Music Theory - Part 2",
- Do the exercises in
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 1",
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 2",
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 3",
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 4", and
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 5",
- Run through:-
→ "Trinity Guildhall - Trinity College London Aural Tests Book 1 (Initial to Grade 5) 2017", and
→ "Trinity Guildhall - Trinity College London Aural Tests Book 2 (Grades 6 to 8) 2017".
- Get a grip on the process of ear-training by reading "Deutsch (Diana) - Absolute Pitch", and related material74.
- Try out "Boytim (Joan Frey) - The First Book Of Baritone/Bass Solos".
- Also follow up items in:-
→ "Various - Music - Aural - Various On-line Training".
→ "Hansen (Carsten) - The Full English Opening: Mastering the Fundamentals",
→ "Ris (Robert) - Crucial Chess Skills for the Club Player: Volume 1",
→ "Ris (Robert) - Crucial Chess Skills for the Club Player: Volume 2",
→ "Sadler (Matthew) & Regan (Natasha) - Game Changer: AlphaZero's Groundbreaking Chess Strategies and the Promise of AI",
→ "van der Sterren (Paul) - FCO - Fundamental Chess Openings", and
→ "Willemze (Thomas) - The Chess Toolbox: Practical Techniques Everyone Should Know".
→ "Chess - Chess Magazine"; work through the “How Good Is Your Chess” articles,
→ Chess.com (game analysis & daily 10-minute game),
→ Mephisto Monte Carlo,
→ "Chess - Chess - YouTube Videos"
→ Complete review of 2018/19 season's games
- Play: Full participation in Billericay Chess Club:-
→ Club Nights
→ Club Championship
→ NECL matches
→ Southend League matches
- Continue playing bridge once or twice a week with David Tennet:-
→ Mayflower Bridge Club (stand in over the summer)
→ Mountnessing Bridge Club
→ ECBA Warboys ('B' Flight)
→ NICKO Plate (2018-19) (Round 4, for Mountnessing A)
→ Essex / Herts GP Weekend: July 2019
→ Essex / Herts GP Weekend: September 2019
- Establish an exploratory partnership with Linda Fleet
→ Finalise system (Rev-Benji, 5CM, SNT)
→ Play weekly at Mayflower in September
- Prepare for a partnership with Colin Scott
→ Re-hash interim system (Rev-Benji) as previously played
→ Play at Hutton (4 dates from end-September thru November)
- Investigate Mosso. Read:-
→ "Granville (Richard) - Introduction to MOSSO: MOsca with Standard Spade Openings"
→ "Granville (Richard) & Burn (David) - The MOSSO Bidding System"
→ "Granville (Richard) & Burn (David) - MOSSO: Example Auctions and Quizzes"
- Re-read Hand-counting papers, focussing on
→ Papers in Counting the Hands77
→ Focusing initially on "Lawrence (Mike) - How to read your opponents' cards: The bridge expert's way to locate missing high cards"
- Read "Reading - Bridge - Magazines".
- Aeon: Read & annotate papers as they arise.
- "Crane (Tim) - Elements of Mind - An Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind": Re-read and review notes.
- "Dehaene (Stanislas) - Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts": Read.
- "Papineau (David) - Introducing Consciousness": Re-read and write notes.
- Thai: Following Nat's emigration to Thailand:-
→ "Lonely Planet - Lonely Planet Thai Phrasebook & Dictionary",
→ "Becker (Benjawan Poomsan) - Thai for Beginners",
→ "ThaiNotes - Thai Notes",
→ "Wikipedia - Thai Alphabet", and
→ "Wikipedia - Thai Language".
- Egyptian (Ancient):
- Aeon: Read papers as they arise.
- "Feynman (Richard), Leighton (Robert B.) & Sands (Matthew) - The Feynman Lectures on Physics - Vol I": Read.
- "Gowers (Timothy), Barrow-Green (June) & Leader (Imre), Eds. - The Princeton Companion to Mathematics": Browse.
- "Polya (George), Stewart (Ian) - How to Solve IT: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method": Read.
- Try the puzzles in
→ "Polya (George) & Kilpatrick (Jeremy) - The Stanford Mathematics Problem Book: With Hints and Solutions", and
→ "UKMT, du Sautoy (Marcus) - The Ultimate Mathematical Challenge".
- "Shapiro (Stewart) - Thinking about Mathematics - The Philosophy of Mathematics": Complete reading.
- "Smith (Martin) - Why Throwing 92 Heads in a Row Is Not Surprising": Analyze.
- "Wilmott (Paul) - Machine Learning: An Applied Mathematics Introduction": Read.
In-Page FootnotesFootnote 38:
Footnote 45: Footnote 59:
- This paper covers the "loose and popular" sense of identity, amongst much else.
- Read the Appendices, and extract the Chapter Summaries as learning-points.
- Try to keep up to date, but only read those that are strictly relevant – ignore the rest!
- At present I have a relatively small reading-backlog, and a much larger reviewing-backlog.
- Try to add a brief comment for each paper – maybe at the expense of reading the full text!
- While I couldn't submit to Michael Alter's deadlines and the amount of work required, I ought to at least read these books.
- And see if there's any relevence to my thesis (Time).
- Note that Backup_Prune_Ctrl deletes (relevant) pages that weren't regenerated in the last full site-regen, but this isn't the same thing.
- These are URLs that were used in web pages but hadn't yet been converted to the +WnnnW+ format, so appeared at the end with no WebRef ID.
- See Sistrix
- This used to be called Optimizr, see Optimizr (which now auto-forwards to Sistrix).
- A quick look doesn’t show it to be an obvious scam, but I need to double-check.
- An unsolicited analysis of my site turned up monthly from Optimizr from January 2015 to October 2017, listing a large number of “problems” that I think I know about, but which are in the queue to address.
- It restarted in February 2018, under the Sistrix name (this seems to have been associated with Optimizr since November 2015).
- The free version of this software is restricted to 1,000 pages, which is a very small proportion of my Site, though I may be able to point it to difference base-URLs.
- But I do need to address the problems validly itemised, and a sub-set is still useful.
- Well, maybe with the occasional holiday, and excluding days on which I have a lesson or the Enigma Ensemble.
- I don't intend to present these for the Trinity exams, as I can present Orchestral Audition pieces instead; but they are essential for technique.
Footnote 74: Ie. The following:-
- I've yet to decide which to present for the Exam, so this long list will get whittled down in due course.
Live Version of this Archived Note
Table of the 3 Earlier Versions of this Note
Table of the 3 Later Versions of this Note
|This version updated
||Reference for this Topic
||1275 (Status: Priority Task List (2019: September))
||Status: Summary (2020 - June)|
Summary of Notes Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Text Colour Conventions
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020