Theo Todman's Web Page
For Text Colour-conventions (at end of page): Click HereStatus Reports - Status: Priority Task List (2020 - October)
IntroductionNote last updated: 28/10/2020 09:46:05
- This Report allows me to see a simple consolidated list of tasks I'm supposed to be working on.
- This list also appears in my Quarterly Status Report, and
- Time spent against the tasks appears - where applicable, and in somewhat jumbled form - in the Summary Task List between Quarterly Reports.
- The purpose of this report is to allow updates to the list between Quarterly Reports.
Religion (2 hours per week)
- Thesis (24 hours per week)
- Continue with my Thesis; in particular
- Spend at least an hour a day writing something original.
- Fill out those sections that I can write something on without further research.
- Rework the structure so that Level-1 or -2 print produces the thesis with the correct reading-list.
- Continually review the Note describing my Current Beliefs on the topic of Personal Identity.
- Complete a full review and update of the Notes I’ve created on Personal Identity, focusing on:-
- Those directly referenced by my Current Beliefs,
- Those without a reading list: Evolution, Person, Physicalism, Psychological View, Religion, Semantics, Soul Criterion, Souls, Unity of the Person.
- Those not yet in the latest standard format.
- Make progress on specific Chapters of my Thesis, using the materials below →
- Chapter 1 (Introduction). Focussing on:-
→ "Duncan (Matt) - I Think, Therefore I Persist", Complete Write-up
→ "Maurer (Nicholas) - Too Many Persons, or None At All?", Write-up
→ "Strawson (Galen) - 'The Secrets of All Hearts': Locke on Personal Identity", Read
→ "Strawson (Galen) - 'Where our responsibility lies': Locke on personal identity", Read
- Introductory and General Works
→ "Unger (Peter) - Identity, Consciousness and Value", Re-read and write up comments
→ "Unger (Peter) - Precis of 'Identity, Consciousness and Value'", Re-read ... also other items from the symposium
- Chapter 2 (What Are We?). Focussing on:-
- General: "Olson (Eric) - What are We? A Study of Personal Ontology", a core text!
- Brains: "Mitchell (Kevin J.) - Innate: How the Wiring of Our Brains Shapes Who We Are", Read & review
- Human Beings: Review the Symposium between:-
→ "Robinson (Denis) - Human Beings, Human Animals, and Mentalistic Survival", Read and Write-up
→ "Johnston (Mark) - 'Human Beings' Revisited: My Body is Not an Animal", Complete Write-up
- "Cottingham (John) - Why we are not 'persons'", Complete Write-up
- "Kuhn (Robert Lawrence), Ed. - Closer to Truth: Personal Identity", Watch and write up
- "Kuhn (Robert Lawrence), Ed. - Closer to Truth: Persons and Selves", Watch and write up
- "Arikha (Noga) - The Interoceptive Turn", Read and Write-up
- "Dainton (Barry) - Self: Philosophy In Transit", Read and Write-up
- "Dainton (Barry) - The Phenomenal Self", Read and Write-up23
- "O'Hear (Anthony), Ed. - Mind, Self and Person", Complete Reading and Write-ups
- Chapter 3 (What Is A Person?).
→ "Noller (Jorg) - A Transformative Account of Personal Identity", Read and write-up
→ "Noller (Jorg) - Person", Read and write-up
- Free Will
→ "Ellis (George F.R.), Etc - From Chaos to Free Will": Complete review & analysis
→ "Gazzaniga (Michael S.) - Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain", Read
→ "Murphy (Nancey), O'Connor (Timothy) & Ellis (George F.R.) - Downward Causation and the Neurobiology of Free Will": Quick review & analysis
→ "Murphy (Nancey) & Brown (Warren) - Did My Neurons Make Me Do It?": Quick review & analysis
→ "Nanay (Bence) - Catching Desires": Complete write-up
- Personites, develop Note, using:-
→ "Olson (Eric) - Ethics and the Generous Ontology", Write-up, then …
→ "Eklund (Matti) - The Existence of Personites", Read and write-up
→ "Johnston (Mark) - The Personite Problem: Should Practical Reason Be Tabled?", Read and write-up
→ "Johnston (Mark) - Personites, Maximality and Ontological Trash", Read and write-up
→ "Kaiserman (Alexander) - Stage Theory and the Personite Problem", Read and write-up
→ "Pautz (Adam) - Johnston’s Puzzle about Personites", Read and write-up.
- Chapter 4 (Basic Metaphysical Issues). Focus on:-
- General: "Hazlett (Allan) - New Waves in Metaphysics", Read
- Existence: "Williams (Christopher) - Death and Other Difficulties", Read and write-up
- Logic of Identity
- Partial Identity
→ "Baxter (Donald L.M.) - Temporary and Contingent Instantiation as Partial Identity", Read and write-up
→ "Hawley (Katherine) - Almost Identical, Almost Innocent", Read and write-up.
→ "Han (Byung-Chul) - The copy is the original", Write-up
→ "Han (Byung-Chul) - Shanzhai: Deconstruction in Chinese", Read and write-up
- "Loose and Popular" vs "Strict and Philosophical" senses of identity
→ "Noonan (Harold) - Identity, Constitution and Microphysical Supervenience", Write-up33
→ "Colen (J.A.) - In Memoriam Derek Parfit (1942-2017)", Write-up
→ "Funkhouser (Eric) - Notes on Parfit, 'Personal Identity'", Write-up
→ "Korsgaard (Christine) - Personal Identity and the Unity of Agency: A Kantian Response to Parfit", Read and write-up
→ "McDowell (John) - Reductionism and the First Person", Write-up35=23
→ "Perry (John) - Time, Fission, and Personal Identity", Read and write-up
→ "Parfit (Derek) - Personal Identity", Write-up
→ "Parfit (Derek) - Prudence, morality, and the prisoner's dilemma", Read and write-up, Note36
→ "Parfit (Derek) - Who do you think you are?", Write-up
→ Complete run-through of the Parfit reading-list
- Simple View
→ "Duncan (Matt) - A Challenge to Anti-Criterialism"
→ "Duncan (Matt) - A Renewed Challenge to Anti-Criterialism"
→ "Duncan (Matt) - Dualists Needn’t Be Anti-Criterialists (Nor Should They Be)"
- Vague Identity
→ "Broome (John) - Indefiniteness in Identity",
→ "Noonan (Harold) - Vague Identity Yet Again"
- Narrative Identity / Race. Obtain a balanced view41 Focussing On42:-
- Race and Racism
→ "Boxill (Bernard), Ed. - Race and Racism: Oxford Readings in Philosophy"
→ "Brues (Alice M.) - People and Races"
→ "Curran (Andrew) - Facing America's History Of Racism Requires Facing The Origins Of 'Race' As A Concept"
→ "Glasgow (Joshua) - Another Look at the Reality of Race, By Which I Mean Race-f"
→ "Mac Donald (Heather) - The Diversity Delusion"
→ "Murray (Douglas) - The Madness of Crowds: Gender, Race and Identity"
→ "Rutherford (Adam) - How to Argue With a Racist: History, Science, Race and Reality"
→ "Saini (Angela) - Superior: The Return of Race Science"
- The British Empire & its 'Crimes': obtain a balanced view44=41 from the following list:-
→ "Brendon (Piers) - The Decline And Fall Of The British Empire"
→ "Dalziel (Nigel) - The Penguin Historical Atlas of the British Empire"
→ "Darwin (John) - Unfinished Empire: The Global Expansion of Britain"
→ "Lawrence (James) - Rise And Fall Of The British Empire"
→ "Seth (Vikram) - A Suitable Boy"
→ "Tharoor (Shashi) - Inglorious Empire: What the British Did to India"
- Chapter 5 (Persistence and Time). Focussing on:-
- "Sider (Ted), Hawthorne (John) & Zimmerman (Dean), Eds. - Contemporary Debates in Metaphysics",
- "Haslanger (Sally) & Kurtz (Roxanne), Eds. - Persistence : Contemporary Readings",
- "Hawley (Katherine) - Persistence and Determination",
- "Wiggins (David) - Continuants: Their Activity, Their Being, and Their Identity", especially
→ "Noonan (Harold) - Review of Wiggins's 'Continuants'", and
→ "Wiggins (David) - Identity, Individuation, and Substance"
- "Boccardi (Emiliano), Ed. - Manuscrito vol. 39 no.4: Recent Trends in the Philosophy of Time: An Introduction to Time and Reality - I", and
- "Boccardi (Emiliano), Ed. - Manuscrito vol. 40 no.1: The Passage of Time and its Enemies: An Introduction to Time and Reality - II"
- "Botros (Sophie) - Truth, Time and History: A Philosophical Enquiry", Re-read & Annotate ... also especially
→ "Botros (Sophie) - Truth, Time and History - A Philosophical Inquiry with Dr Sophie Botros", Complete analysis
- "Bourne (Craig) - A Future for Presentism",
- "Buonomano (Dean) - Your Brain Is a Time Machine: The Neuroscience and Physics of Time",
- "Correia (Fabrice) & Rosenkranz (Sven) - Unfreezing the Spotlight: Tense Realism and Temporal Passage",
- "Costa (Damiano), Gilmore (Cody) & Calosi (Claudio) - Relativity and Three Four-Dimensionalisms",
- Natalja Deng: Various papers, starting with
→ "Deng (Natalja) - One Thing After Another: Why the Passage of Time is Not an Illusion",
- Mauro Dorato: Various papers,
→ "Dorato (Mauro) - Presentism / Eternalism and Endurantism / Perdurantism: why the unsubstantiality of the first debate implies that of the second",
→ "Dorato (Mauro) - Presentism and the Experience of Time",
→ "Dorato (Mauro) - The Irrelevance of the Presentist / Eternalist Debate for the Ontology of Minkowski Spacetime".
- "Fischer (Florian) - Philosophy of time: A slightly opinionated introduction",
- "Friebe (Cord) - Eternalism and the Temporal Content of Persistence", and
- "Friebe (Cord) - Metametaphysics: the Ontology of Spacetime and the Presentist/Eternalist Debate".
- "Lebens (Samuel) & Goldschmidt (Tyron) - The Promise of a New Past": Complete and send to Sophie Botros & Michael J. Alter,
- "LePoidevin (Robin) - Travels in Four Dimensions: The Enigmas of Space and Time",
- "LePoidevin (Robin) & MacBeath (Murray), Eds. - The Philosophy of Time: Oxford Readings in Philosophy",
- "Mellor (D.H.) - Review of Michael Tooley: 'Time, Tense, and Causation'", Read & review
- "Miller (Kristie) - Issues in Theoretical Diversity: Persistence, Composition, and Time",
- "Roselli (Andrea) - How Long is Now? A New Perspective on the Specious Present",
- "Rovelli (Carlo) - The Order of Time",
- "Sattig (Thomas) - The Flow of Time in Experience",
- "Savitt (Steven) - Presentism and Eternalism in Perspective",
- "Skow (Bradford) - Objective Becoming",
- "Torrengo (Giuliano) - Time and Simple Existence",
- "Thomas (Emily) - Before, now, and next", Expand review
- "Thomas (Emily) - Does the Future Exist?", Expand review
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - Presentism and the Space-Time Manifold"
- Chapter 6 (Animalism). Focussing on:-
- "Chittka (Lars) & Wilson (Catherine) - Bee-brained", Write up
- "Keim (Brandon) - I, cockroach", Write up
- "Rachlin (Howard) - Teleological behaviourism or what it means to imagine a lion", Complete Write-up
- "Ross (Don) - Consciousness, language, and the possibility of non-human personhood: Reflections on elephants", Write up
- "Wilson (Jack) - Biological Individuality - The identity and Persistence of Living Entities", Complete Write-up
- "Woodruff (Michael) - The face of the fish", Write up
- "Hershenov (David) - Review of David DeGrazia’s Human Identity and Bioethics",
- "Madden (Rory) - Human Persistence",
- "Merricks (Trenton) - Objects and Persons",
- "Olson (Eric) - The Human Animal - Personal Identity Without Psychology", my core text,
- "Shoemaker (Sydney) - Persons, Animals, and Identity",
- "Snowdon (Paul) - Persons, Animals, Ourselves",
- Hybrid Theory
- "Kotak (Aakash) - The Hybrid Theory of Personal Identity", Read and evaluate carefully
- "Al-Khalili (Jim) & McFadden (Johnjoe) - Life on the Edge: The Coming of Age of Quantum Biology", Expand file-note
- "DiFrisco (James) & Mossio (Matteo) - Diachronic Identity in Complex Life Cycles: An Organizational Perspective",
- "Lachmann (Michael) & Walker (Sara) - Life ≠ alive",
- "Noble (Denis) - The Music of Life: Biology Beyond Genes", Read
- "Noble (Denis) - Dance to the Tune of Life: Biological Relativity", Read
- "Rose (Steven) - Précis of 'Lifelines: Biology, Freedom, Determinism'", Read
- "Schrodinger (Erwin) - What is Life?"
- Phase-sortal Animalism
- "Sauchelli (Andrea) - The animal, the corpse, and the remnant-person", Read and evaluate carefully
- Process Animalism
- "DiFrisco (James) & Mossio (Matteo) - Diachronic Identity in Complex Life Cycles: An Organizational Perspective", Read
- "Meincke (Anne Sophie) & Dupre (John) - Biological Identity: Why Metaphysicians and Philosophers of Biology Should Talk to One Another", Read
- "Meincke (Anne Sophie) - Human Persons – A Process View", Read
- "Meincke (Anne Sophie) - Persons as Biological Processes: A Bio-Processual Way Out of the Personal Identity Dilemma", Read
- "Meincke (Anne Sophie) - Processual Animalism: Towards a Scientifically Informed Theory of Personal Identity", Read
- "Noller (Jorg) - Beyond Animalism and Constitutionalism: The Person as A Form of Life", Read
- Chapter 7 (The Constitution View):-
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Persons and Bodies: A Constitution View": My other core text. Start a serious review.
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder), Etc. - E-Symposium on 'Persons & Bodies: A Constitution View'": Write up reviews of papers,
- "Corcoran (Kevin) - Rethinking Human Nature: A Christian Materialist Alternative to the Soul": Read and review,
- "Loose (Jonathan) - Constitution and the Falling Elevator": Write a Note
- "Mellor (D.H.) - Micro-composition": Read
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Can Mereological Sums Change their Parts": Read
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Inside and outside the ontology room": Read
- "Zahavi (Dan) - Subjectivity and Selfhood: Investigating the First-Person Perspective": Write-up.
- Chapter 8 (Arguments against Animalism):-
- "Bailey (Andrew M.) - The Elimination Argument",
- "Olson (Eric) - The Role of the Brainstem in Personal Identity",
- "Tzinman (Rina) - Against the Brainstem View of the Persistence of Human Animals"
- Dicephalus & Conjoined Twins
- "Buchanan (Rachael) - The battle to separate Safa and Marwa"
- "Campbell (Tim) & McMahan (Jeff) - Animalism and the Varieties of Conjoined Twinning"
- "Olson (Eric) - The Metaphysical Implications of Conjoined Twining"
- "Stone (James L.) & Goodrich (James T.) - The craniopagus malformation: classification and implications for surgical separation"
- "Wikipedia - Craniopagus twins"
- "Ferner (Adam) - Metaphysics and biology: a critique of David Wiggins’ account of personal identity"
- "Olson (Eric) - On Parfit's View That We Are Not Human Beings",
- "Damschen (Gregor), Gomez-Lobo (Alfonso) & Schonecker (Dieter) - Sixteen Days? A Reply to B. Smith and B. Brogaard on the Beginning of Human Individuals",
- Elselijn Kingma. Especially
→ "Finn (Suki) - Bun or bump?",
→ "Kingma (Elselijn) - Lady Parts: The Metaphysics of Pregnancy", and
→ "Kingma (Elselijn) - Were You Part of Your Mother?".
- "Gomez-Lobo (Alfonso) - Sortals and Human Beginnings",
- "Isaac (Sasha) - Is artificial-womb technology a tool for women’s liberation?",
- "Oderberg (David) - The Metaphysical Status of the Embryo: Some Arguments Revisited",
- "Paez (Eze) - Abortion: What We Ought to Believe - An Ontological and Normative Analysis",
- "Smith (Barry) & Brogaard (Berit) - Sixteen Days".
- "Tzinman (Rina) - Memory, Organisms and the Circle of Life".
- Chapter 10 (Thought Experiments):-
- "Nielsen (Lasse) - Reconstructing Thought Experiments in Personal Identity", Read & Write-up
- "Searle (John), Etc. - Minds, Brains, and Programs", Annotate
- "Wilson (James) - The trolley problem problem", Write-up
- Investigate Transhumanism. In particular,
- "Alexander (Denis) - Healing, enhancement and the human future": Read,
- "Awad (Edmond), Etc. - The Moral Machine experiment": Read,
- "Ball (Philip) - Sim ethics": Write up,
- "Bostrom (Nick) - Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies": Read,
- "Bridle (James) - New Dark Age: Technology and the End of the Future": Read,
- "Clark (Andy) & Kuhn (Robert Lawrence) - Aeon: Video - Andy Clark - Virtual immortality": Review write-up66,
- "Contera (Sonia) - Nano Comes to Life": Read,
- "da Cunha (Rui Vieira) - Will I ever Be a Cyborg?": Read,
- "Davies (Sally) - Women’s minds matter" (and papers cited / resisted)
- "Francis (Matthew) - Is this life real?", Write-up
- "Fry (Hannah) - Hello World: How to be Human in the Age of the Machine": Read & review,
- "Graziano (Michael) - Endless fun": Detailed review,
- "Hanson (Robin) - The Age of Em: Work, Love, and Life when Robots Rule the Earth", Read
- "Harari (Yuval Noah) - Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow": Review, especially Chapter 8,
- "Kent (Adrian) - Replication Ethics": Read,
- "Liao (S. Matthew) - Twinning, Inorganic Replacement, and the Organism View": Read,
- "Kobie (Nicole) - Quantum Supremacy is here - So what?": Complete write-up,
- "Madary (Michael) & Metzinger (Thomas) - Real Virtuality: A Code of Ethical Conduct": Read,
- "Marshall (Richard) & Metzinger (Thomas) - Thomas Metzinger: All About the Ego Tunnel": Read,
- "Midgley (Mary) - Biotechnology and Monstrosity: Why We Should Pay Attention to the 'Yuk Factor'": Complete,
- "O'Connell (Mark) - To be a Machine": Briefly review,
- "Otsuka (Michael) - Personal Identity, Substantial Change, and the Significance of Becoming": Read,
- "Schneider (Susan) - Artificial You": Read,
- "Shipley (G.J.) - Review of Andy Clark's 'Natural-Born Cyborgs'": Complete review,
- "Smith (Wilfred Cantwell) - The Promise of Artificial Intelligence": Read,
- "Tegmark (Max) - Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence": Read,
- "Wyatt (John) - Artificial intelligence and simulated relationships": Write-up.
- Chapter 11 (Resurrection):-
- "Baillie (James) - We all know that we will die, so why do we struggle to believe it?": Complete review
- "Bradley (Ben), Feldman (Fred) & Johansson (Jens) - The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Death": Start a review, especially
→ "Zimmerman (Dean) - Personal Identity and the Survival of Death",
- "Kaufman (Sharon) - Neither person nor cadaver", Review
- "Luper (Steven), Ed. - The Cambridge Companion to Life and Death": Start a review, especially
→ "Olson (Eric) - The Nature of People",
- "Stone (Alison) - Thinking about one’s birth is as uncanny as thinking of death": review
- "Van Inwagen (Peter) - Dualism and Materialism: Athens and Jerusalem?": Read & review
- "Veatch (Robert M.) - Would a Reasonable Person Now Accept the 1968 Harvard Brain Death Report? A Short History of Brain Death": review
- Makropulos Case
- "Moore (Adrian W.) - Is the quest for immortality worse than death?": Detailed analysis
- "Moore (Adrian W.) - Williams, Nietzsche, and the Meaninglessness of Immortality": Read and review
- "Barua (Ankur) - Revisiting the Rationality of Reincarnation-Talk": Write a file-note.
- "MacIntosh (J.J.) - Reincarnation and Relativized Identity": Read and review
- "Noonan (Harold) - The Possibility of Reincarnation": Read and review
- "Badham (Paul) - Christian Beliefs About Life After Death": Read and review
- "Baker (Lynne Rudder) - Death and the Afterlife": Read and review
- "Corcoran (Kevin) - Dualism, Materialism and the Problem of Post Mortem Survival": Read and review
- "Martin (L. Michael) & Augustine (Keith) - The Myth of an Afterlife: The Case against Life After Death": Start a thorough review,
- "Zimmerman (Dean) - The Compatibility of Materialism and Survival: The “Falling Elevator” Model": Read and review
- As background tasks:-
- Ensure all items in:-
→ "Various - Papers on Desktop", and
→ "Various - Papers in Desk Drawer"
are either addressed or re-filed.
- Maintain "Various - Papers Yet To Be Logged", and log papers therein if they become important.
- Convert old PDFs to Notes:-
- Review the two reports:-
- Determine how the first is produced, and why the pdfs aren't highlighted, and compare with Write-ups Notes Jump Table
- Re-read & enhance recent Précis conversions, ie:-
→ "Skyrms (Brian) - The Goodman Paradox and the New Riddle of Induction"
→ "Woolhouse (Roger) - Spinoza and Substance"
- Convert outstanding Essays.
- Complete cataloguing the books downloaded from Springer,
- Continue with "Marshall (Richard) - Philosophy at 3:AM: Questions and Answers with 25 Top Philosophers",
- Complete reading (or make notes on):-
- "Ball (Philip) - Beyond Weird: Why Everything You Thought You Knew About Quantum Mechanics is ... Different",
- "Barker (Jonathan) - Debunking Arguments and Metaphysical Laws",
- "Borges (Jorge Luis) - Labyrinths: Selected Stories and Other Writings",
- "Bregman (Rutger) - Utopia for Realists: And How We Can Get There",
- "Bregman (Rutger) - Why Garbagemen Should Earn More Than Bankers",
- "Dennett (Daniel) - The Mind's I - Fantasies and Reflections on Self and Soul: Introduction",
- "Erber (Joan T.) & Szuchman (Lenore T.) - Great Myths of Aging",
- "Everett (Daniel) - Did Homo erectus speak?",
- "Fine (Cordelia) - Testosterone Rex: Myths of Sex, Science, and Society",
- "Greene (Brian) - The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos",
- "Hoffman (Donald D.) - The Case Against Reality: How Evolution Hid the Truth from Our Eyes",
→ "Gefter (Amanda) & Hoffman (Donald D.) - The Evolutionary Argument Against Reality"
→ "O'Grady (Jane) - Donald Hoffman’s 'The Case Against Reality' is hard to get your head around"
- "Hofstadter (Douglas) - Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid - A Metaphorical Fugue on Minds and Machines in the Spirit of Lewis Carroll",
- "Howson (Colin) & Urbach (Peter) - Scientific Reasoning: The Bayesian Approach",
- "Marshall (Tim) - Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics",
- "Ord (Toby) - The Precipice: Existential Risk and the Future of Humanity",
- "Paxman (Jeremy) - Friends in High Places: Who Rules Britain",
- "Rovelli (Carlo) - Reality Is Not What It Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity",
- "Shand (John) - Central Issues of Philosophy",
- "Vedral (Vlatko) - Decoding Reality: The Universe as Quantum Information".
- Complete my Note on "Smith (Martin) - Why Throwing 92 Heads in a Row Is Not Surprising" and discuss with Pete & Mike.
- Continue reading and reviewing papers issued by Aeon,
- Keep up with the Journals via JSTOR & Cambridge Core.
- Update my Journals Note: Review the journals I have access to; more are available as a Cambridge Alumnus.
- Keep up with the philosophical world by regular reviews of "Interaction - Philos-List", but only seriously pursue items relevant to my research.
- Website (10 hours per week)
- Own Website: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
- Compact and Repair Problems
- On compacting and repairing my main database I sometimes get the error "The query cannot be completed. Either the size of the query result is larger than the maximum size of a database (2 GB), or there is not enough temporary storage space on the disk to store the query result".
- It happens 3 times while the database is re-opening.
- There is lots of space, and the database is only 600Mb (and the error started when it was under 500Mb).
- This mostly happens after I've run long processes, so I usually close the database, re-open it and then try the compact and repair. Usually this works, but not always. But I then try again and the message disappears.
- I strongly suspect that this is MS Access itself re-indexing tables, and blowing up a temporary database, but I can’t find any evidence for this on-line. Or help, other than suggestions to split databases and do other sensible things. Given that the error occurs when the database is re-opening, with no temporary file visible, is very strange.
- 17/04/20 - set MaxLocksPerFile to 1,000,000 (from the default 9,500). Sadly, it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
- Complete XRef-re-engineering project:-
- Ensure all links and link-pages use the new XRef table, and pension off the old tables.
- Look into writing out specific object-identifiers, and linking thereto for Citations, rather than paragraph references. An issue is multiple instances of the same object in a document.
- Check all link-types still work and fix any errors.
- Complete the auto-triggering of regeneration of “associated” link pages.
- Fix update bug in Convert_Webrefs.
- Fix Bug whereby PaperSummary pages seem to have “Works-” and “Books/Papers-” Citings that refer to the same link-pages.
- Document the process!
- Document, Repair & update my Website site-map
- Review effectiveness of hyperlinking method in the light of PhD and Philosophy of Religion experience.
- Where possible, use ID rather than NAME for in-page hyperlinks
- Investigate Record-count discrepancies:-
- How do website files work as far as counts are concerned?
- Why aren't they recorded in Backup_History, nor the fact that the website was backed up?
- Different counts depending on whether new or old laptop is backed up. Investigate 63k discrepancy - lower on new laptop.
- Review architecture to improve performance; Need to document first
- Further improve the time to regenerate Book Summaries. Took about 22 minutes on 04/10/2020, but should be under 5 minutes!
- Investigate whether multiple Subject/Topic/Subtopic usage leads anywhere (ie. are just the first (of 3) actually used). Fix anything amiss.
- Reformat the BookCitings and PaperCitings pages:-
- Detail PaperCitings Pages: Include only useful information on the detail pages; but if there are multiple links from the same object, include them on the same line as 'extra links' as in BookCitings (copy the code: or, better, combine the two subs).
- Summary (Author Letter) pages: Include counts (as in Authors' Citations).
- Ensure uses the Cross_Reference table.
- Develop auto-reconciliation routines vs EBU results download
- Investigate the error reports from the Documenter, especially unused variables & queries.
- Provide Functional Documentation for Website Generator (using Notes)
- "Sitepoint (Learnable) - Sitepoint Learnable Web Development Courses": Membership cancelled, but plan what to do with the eBooks in my possession.
- Read "PC Pro - Computing in the Real World".
- Read "White (Ron) & Downs (Timothy Edward) - How Computers Work: The Evolution of Technology".
- iCloud for Windows: Re-install & solve 'The upload folder for iCloud Photos is missing' problem. Try on new Laptop.
- Add "Note Alternates" to Note pages.
- Allow the option to concatenate Notes in the Printed version (ie. linearly embed them essay-style), rather than treating the hyperlinks as footnotes – but still keep the hyperlink & cross-referencing in place.
- For use as "disclaimers" - eg. for "Plug Notes".
- For Thesis / essays: the difficulty here is the need for linking passages to make the text run smoothly.
- As part of the Cross-Referencing project, check out the consistent treatment of Note 875, which should be universally ignored. Recently, links to it appeared on Book-Summaries, Book_Paper_Abstracts and Note_Book_Links, as a Note referencing a Book. The critical item was a row on the Note_Book_Links table.
- Determine why very long printable notes (eg. Level 3+ for Note 170) are being truncated. Probably suppress them in any case, as they take far too long to load.
- Enhance Functors to work for selected non-temp Notes so that up-to-date stats can be incorporated. This is complex as I want to avoid production of an Archived Note each time a non-Temp Note is regenerated. I also want to ensure that Notes whose variable text consists entirely of Functors get archived correctly (which they might not if I removed Functor-generated text from Notes before saving them to the Notes table).
- Fix bugs in multi-level footnoting in Printable Notes – the referencing is going wrong.
- Investigate Note_Links: Section references seem to be incorrect
- Printable Notes: fix the bug whereby the “private” flag is round the wrong way.
- Split Aeon Page into multiple sub-pages (either by topic or by priority)
- Suppress the publication of the Printable versions of Temp Notes
- Upgrade Auto_Reference_Notes to reference Sub-Notes: Currently only affects one note - Somerset Maugham - so not yet urgent
- The monthly regeneration process for Paper Abstracts was still taking just over 5 hours. I thought it could not be fixed until the cross-referencing project is fully complete and documented. However, it spontaneously improved to 1.6 hours in the August 2020 run. Monitor! Last run: 1.63 hours on 04/10/2020.
- Develop software & procedure to make adding more content to the photos pages easier to undertake.
- Timeline software: Add photos for Holidays & Family History
- Determine why Recalculation & Changed Book/Papers produce unneeded regeneration.
- Analyse the results of the data collection exercise and design a plan of campaign to fix broken Internal links and prevent recurrence.
- Correct the code so the problems discovered by the Spider don’t recur.
- Delete 'orphan pages' that are never linked to, ie. Use the Spider to prune redundant pages81 automatically where possible.
- Fix the historical data where errors are uncovered by the Spider. An easier task now the site has a full-regen function.
- Look into Sistrix Smart82. Errors and warnings itemised are:-
- Duplicate content: seems to be variants on theotodman.com
- Title Tags: Empty, too long, identical
- Page Not Found
- Filesize in excess of 1Mb
- Meta-Description: Empty
- Few words on Page
- H1: Not used, used multiple times per page, identical across pages
- Pictures: Alt attribute missing
- Webrefs_Update failing because IE loops with Aeon / Psyche pages. Currently doing manual checking - try to find an automated solution.
- Documentation & Bug-fixes: Phase 2
- Re-document the procedures in the light of recent changes.
- Resolve issues generated / revealed by the spider.
- Investigate - and fix where possible - broken links.
- Find a way of recording Missing Webrefs other than debug.print: create table, then suppress message for known problems
- Investigate items flagged as defunct. Populate Defunct_Explanation in WebRefs_Table. Consider use of FairUse (Link - Fair Use) for documents no longer available that I'd downloaded.
- Investigate WebRefs with Issue = 'URL Translated OK': does the translation really work? How?
- Other Websites: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
- Regular updates to the Hutton Bridge Club (https://www.bridgewebs.com/hutton.html) Website.
- Regular updates to the Mountnessing Bridge Club (https://www.bridgewebs.com/mountnessingbc/) Website.
- Termly updates to the Enigma Ensemble (http://www.enigmaensemble.co.uk/) Website.
Music (7 hours per week)
- Philosophy of Religion:
- "Antony (Louise M.) - Philosophers without Gods: Meditations on Atheism and the Secular Life": Continue reading,
- "Ferguson (Matthew) - Κέλσος": Continue reading the Blog,
- "Howard-Snyder (Daniel) - The Skeptical Christian": Read,
- "Howard-Snyder (Daniel) - Does Faith Entail Belief": Read,
- "Insole (Christopher J.) - Realism and Anti-Realism": Read,
- "Plantinga (Alvin) & Dennett (Daniel) - Science and Religion: Are They Compatible?": Read.
- Resurrection: Continue reviewing84
- "Alter (Michael J.) - The Resurrection: A Critical Inquiry", and
- "Alter (Michael J.) - The Resurrection & Christian Apologetics: A Critical Inquiry Volume 2".
- "Todman (Theo) - Philosophy of Religion Essay 1: Can God's necessity establish the existence of God?", Review - what's the latest version?
- Aeon (https://aeon.co/): Read & annotate papers as they arise
- "Finkelstein (Israel) & Silberman (Neil Asher) - The Bible Unearthed": Continue reading
- "Finkel (Irving) - The Ark Before Noah: Decoding the Story of the Flood": Continue reading
- "Lennox (John C.) - Where Is God in a Coronavirus World?": Review in Blog
- "Levine (Amy-Jill) & Brettler (Marc Zvi), Eds. - The Jewish Annotated New Testament": Continue reading
- "Thomson (Oliver) - A History of Sin": Continue reading
- "Taylor (Joan E.) - Jesus and Brian: Exploring the Historical Jesus and His Times Via Monty Python's Life of Brian": Review KCL Conference videos
Languages (5 hours per week)
- Practice the oboe for two 30-minute sessions each and every day86 – focussing on the items below and …
- Occasionally combine into an hour-long session to build up stamina further.
- Work through, and perfect, scales & arpeggios87 for Grades I-VIII, using
→ "Trinity Guildhall - Trinity Guildhall Scales & Arpeggios for Oboe (Grades 1–8)", and
→ "ABRSM - Scales and Arpeggios for Oboe, Grades 1-8 (ABRSM Scales & Arpeggios)".
- Improve sight-reading by playing through
→ "Trinity Guildhall - Sound at Sight Oboe Grades 1-8", and
→ "Davies (John) & Harris (Paul) - 80 Graded Studies for Oboe: Book 1".
- Occasionally review Grade VI pieces, in particular
→ "Boni (Giovanni) - Sonata in G" (Prelude, but also 2nd, 3rd & 4th movements for interest),
→ "Davies (John) & Harris (Paul) - 80 Graded Studies for Oboe: Book 2" (Blatt - Study No. 52),
→ "Morricone (Ennio) - Gabriel's Oboe (Piano Solo Or Oboe/Piano)"
→ "Miller (Vojislav) & Liebermann (Winfried), Eds. - Test Pieces for Orchestral Auditions (Orchester Probespiel) - Oboe" (Eroica, Aida, Der Freischutz),
→ "Nielsen (Carl) - Two Fantasy Pieces, Op. 2" (Romanze only)
- Prepare Grade VII pieces, in particular88
→ "Albinoni (Tomaso) - Concerto in D Minor Op. 9/2 for Oboe & Piano", 1st movement (but also 2nd & 3rd for interest)
→ "Bach (J.S.) - 105 Difficult Passages from the Works of J. S. Bach. For oboe", Items 49 & 70
→ "Cimarosa (Domenico) - Oboe Concerto in C minor", All, but particularly 1st & 4th movements
→ "Davies (John) & Harris (Paul) - 80 Graded Studies for Oboe: Book 2" (Ferling - Study No. 62)
→ "Fiocco (J.H.) - Arioso - Oboe + Piano",
→ "Head (Michael) - Presto for Oboe & Piano",
→ "Hinke (Gustav Adolf) - Elementary Method For Oboe", Items 14 & 18
→ "Miller (Vojislav) & Liebermann (Winfried), Eds. - Test Pieces for Orchestral Auditions (Orchester Probespiel) - Oboe" (Mozart Jupiter, Tchaikovsky Pathetique, Stravinsky Pucinella),
→ "Mower (Mike) - The Good Tempered Oboe" (Nos. 28 & 35: 'Jauntless Jig' & 'May The Fourth Be With You'; also No. 30: 'Answer the Question'),
→ "Nielsen (Carl) - Two Fantasy Pieces, Op. 2" (Humoresque),
→ "Saint-Saens (Camille) - Sonata Op.166 in D Major for Oboe & Piano" (1st Movement),
→ "Schumann (Robert) - 3 Romances, Op. 94 for Oboe and Piano" (1st & 3rd Movements; 2nd for interest).
- Prepare Grade VIII pieces, in particular89
→ "Bach (J.S.) - 105 Difficult Passages from the Works of J. S. Bach. For oboe", Items 62, 66 and 28
→ "Davies (John) & Harris (Paul) - 80 Graded Studies for Oboe: Book 2" (Harris - Study No. 74; Luft - Study No. 77)
→ "Miller (Vojislav) & Liebermann (Winfried), Eds. - Test Pieces for Orchestral Auditions (Orchester Probespiel) - Oboe" (try various),
→ "Mower (Mike) - The Good Tempered Oboe" (No. 44 - 'Dop Dop Doobah'; also No. 45: 'Enlightenment'),
→ "Saint-Saens (Camille) - Sonata Op.166 in D Major for Oboe & Piano" (2nd & 3rd Movements),
- Read and apply oboe practice techniques recommended by:-
→ Martin Schuring, and
→ "Benedetti (Nicola) - My five tips for learning an instrument".
- Read "Caplan (Stephen) - Oboe: The Breathing Book".
- Piano: Try to develop some minimal competence as an aid to theory, so:-
- Continue practicing "Rhodes (James) - How to Play the Piano" (Bach's Prelude #1),
- Work through "ABRSM - Selected Piano Exam Pieces 2009-2010: Grade 1", and
- Try to play by ear, using for inspiration:-
→ "Cannel (Ward) & Marx (Fred) - How to Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons: What Music Is and How to Make It at Home".
- Theory: Prepare for Grade 5 Theory, so:-
→ "Taylor (Eric) - The AB Guide to Music Theory - Part 1", and
→ "Taylor (Eric) - The AB Guide to Music Theory - Part 2",
- Whiz through90 the exercises in
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 1",
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 2",
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 3",
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 4", and
→ "Taylor (Eric) - Music Theory in Practice: Grade 5",
- Run through:-
→ "Trinity Guildhall - Trinity College London Aural Tests Book 1 (Initial to Grade 5) 2017", and
→ "Trinity Guildhall - Trinity College London Aural Tests Book 2 (Grades 6 to 8) 2017".
- Get a grip on the process of ear-training by
→ Reading "Deutsch (Diana) - Absolute Pitch", and related material91, and
→ Try out "Earmaster - Ear Training & Sight-singing".
- Try out "Boytim (Joan Frey) - The First Book Of Baritone/Bass Solos".
- Also follow up items in:-
→ "Various - Music - Aural - Various On-line Training".
Consciousness (1 hour per week)
- General: Maintain Brief Thoughts on Language & Languages
- Arabic: For fun ...
→ "Ling - Learn Arabic"
- Armenian: For fun ...
→ "Ling - Learn Armenian"
→ "Andonian (Hagop) - Beginner's Armenian"
- Chinese: For fun ...
→ "Ling - Learn Chinese"
- Hebrew: For fun ...
→ "Ling - Learn Hebrew"
- Hindi: For fun ...
→ "Ling - Learn Hindi"
→ "Snell (Rupert) - Beginner's Hindi Script"
- Japanese: For fun ...
→ "Ling - Learn Japanese"
- Swahili: For fun ...
→ "Ling - Learn Swahili"
- Thai: Following Nat's emigration to Thailand & marriage to Fon:-
→ "Lang Workbooks - Master the Thai Alphabet: a Handwriting Practice Workbook",
→ "Ling - Learn Thai",
→ "Lonely Planet - Lonely Planet Thai Phrasebook & Dictionary", and
→ "Becker (Benjawan Poomsan) - Thai for Beginners",
- Turkish: For fun ...
→ "Ling - Learn Turkish"
→ "Celen-Pollard (Asuman) & Pollard (David) - Turkish (Teach Yourself Complete Courses)"
Bridge (2 hours per week)
- Aeon: Read & annotate papers as they arise, especially ...
→ "Chittka (Lars) & Wilson (Catherine) - Bee-brained": Write-up
→ "Frankish (Keith) - The Consciousness Illusion": Write-up
→ "Frohlich (Joel) - Frames of consciousness": Read & write-up
→ "Parks (Tim) & Manzotti (Riccardo) - You are the world": Read & write-up
→ "Pigliucci (Massimo) - Consciousness is real": Read & write-up
→ "Seth (Anil Kumar) - The real problem": Read & write-up
→ "Seth (Anil Kumar) - How we build perception from the inside out": Write-up
- "Bonhomme (Vincent), Etc. - General Anesthesia: A Probe to Explore Consciousness": Read & write-up
- "Crane (Tim) - Elements of Mind - An Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind": Re-read and review notes.
- "Dehaene (Stanislas) - Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts": Read.
- "Dennett (Daniel) - Illusionism as the Obvious Default Theory of Consciousness": Read.
- "Donald (Merlin) - A Mind So Rare: The Evolution of Human Consciousness": Read.
- "Eliot (Lise) - What's Going On in There?: How the Brain And Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life": Read.
- "Kammerer (Francois) - The Hardest Aspect of the Illusion Problem - and How to Solve it": Read.
- "Papineau (David) - Introducing Consciousness": Re-read and write notes.
- "Shapiro (Lawrence) - The Mind Incarnate": Read.
- "Strawson (Galen) - The Consciousness Deniers": Read & write-up
- "Tegmark (Max) - Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence": Write up Chapter 8: Consciousness
Chess (1 hour per week)
- Bridge "at the table" is on hold. Only play on-line if pressurised by clubs or partners.
- Review hands from National Masters Pairs in March 2020.
- Investigate RealBridge (https://realbridge.online/).
- Bridge Admin: Committee and Website involvement for Mountnessing and Hutton.
- Re-read Hand-counting papers, focussing on
→ Papers in Counting the Hands,
→ "Bourke (Tim) & Smith (Marc), Bird (David) - Countdown to Winning Bridge", and
→ "Lawrence (Mike) - How to read your opponents' cards: The bridge expert's way to locate missing high cards"
→ "Lawrence (Mike) - How to Play Card Combinations"
- Read "Klinger (Ron) - Five-card Majors".
- Read "Reading - Bridge - Magazines".
Mathematics (1 hour per week)
- Why Play Chess:
→ Seriously consider the issues raised by "Ramon y Cajal (Santiago) - On Chess".
→ Counter this with responsibiity to the local chess scene now I've made contact
- Chess Study:-
→ "Gufeld (Eduard) - The Sicilian for the Tournament Player",
→ "Hansen (Carsten) - The Full English Opening: Mastering the Fundamentals",
→ "Ris (Robert) - Crucial Chess Skills for the Club Player: Volume 1",
→ "Ris (Robert) - Crucial Chess Skills for the Club Player: Volume 2",
→ "Sadler (Matthew) & Regan (Natasha) - Game Changer: AlphaZero's Groundbreaking Chess Strategies and the Promise of AI",
→ "Speelman (Jon), Tisdall (Jon) & Wade (Bob) - Batsford Chess Endings",
→ "van der Sterren (Paul) - FCO - Fundamental Chess Openings", and
→ "Willemze (Thomas) - The Chess Toolbox: Practical Techniques Everyone Should Know".
- Chess Training:-
→ Chess.com (https://www.chess.com/) (game analysis & occasional 10-minute game),
→ Investigate99 LiChess.org (https://lichess.org/)
→ "Chess - Chess - YouTube Videos",
→ Complete review of 2018/19 season's games,
→ Complete review of 2019/20 season's games.
- Club Play & Participation:
- Over-the-Boad Play: Participation100 if and when play resumes in Billericay Chess Club:-
→ Club Nights
→ NECL matches
→ Southend League matches
- Attend weekly Billericay Virtual Chess Club (https://lichess.org/team/billericay-virtual-chess-club) (using Discord (https://discord.com/channels/693153803276517397/693153803276517401))
HiQ (1 hour per week)
- Aeon: Read papers as they arise.
- "Gowers (Timothy), Barrow-Green (June) & Leader (Imre), Eds. - The Princeton Companion to Mathematics": Browse.
- "Polya (George), Stewart (Ian) - How to Solve IT: A New Aspect of Mathematical Method": Read.
- Try the puzzles in
→ "Polya (George) & Kilpatrick (Jeremy) - The Stanford Mathematics Problem Book: With Hints and Solutions", and
→ "UKMT, du Sautoy (Marcus) - The Ultimate Mathematical Challenge".
- "Shapiro (Stewart) - Thinking about Mathematics - The Philosophy of Mathematics": Complete reading.
- "Smith (Martin) - Why Throwing 92 Heads in a Row Is Not Surprising": Analyze.
- "Wilmott (Paul) - Machine Learning: An Applied Mathematics Introduction": Read.
Footnotes 23, 35: Footnote 33:
Footnote 36: Footnotes 41, 44:
- This paper covers the 'Loose and Popular' vs 'Strict and Philosophical' senses of identity, amongst much else.
- This list will hopefully diminish over time, as I read the works, so will no longer look balanced.
- Neither sub-topic is really part of my research into the metaphysics of personal identity, but it's become such an important topic of late - one on which I'm largely ignorant and need to have a considered opinion.
- Also look through other works by Andy Clark to get a handle on what he means by 'patterns in information space'.
- Note that Backup_Prune_Ctrl deletes (relevant) pages that weren't regenerated in the last full site-regen, but this isn't the same thing.
- See Sistrix (https://www.sistrix.com/smart/)
- This used to be called Optimizr, see Optimizr - Defunct (which now auto-forwards to Sistrix).
- A quick look doesn’t show it to be an obvious scam, but I need to double-check.
- An unsolicited analysis of my site turned up monthly from Optimizr from January 2015 to October 2017, listing a large number of “problems” that I think I know about, but which are in the queue to address.
- It restarted in February 2018, under the Sistrix name (this seems to have been associated with Optimizr since November 2015).
- The free version of this software is restricted to 1,000 pages, which is a very small proportion of my Site, though I may be able to point it to difference base-URLs.
- But I do need to address the problems validly itemised, and a sub-set is still useful.
- While I couldn't submit to Michael Alter's deadlines and the amount of work required, I ought to at least read these books.
- Well, maybe with the occasional holiday, and excluding days on which I have a lesson or the Enigma Ensemble (currently in hibernation).
- I don't intend to present these for the Trinity exams, as I can present Orchestral Audition pieces instead; but they are essential for technique.
- I've yet to decide which to present for the Exam, so this long list will get whittled down in due course.
- These are just the ones from the Trinity schedule that I happen to have. Some look rather fearsome.
- The only one I've had assigned is the Second Movement of the Saint-Saens.
Footnote 91: Ie. The following:- Footnote 99:
- The earlier grades are very elementary, but I need practice writing musical notation.
- And consider migrating from Chess.com (https://www.chess.com/), though I renewed my membership at the end of August 2020, but downgraded from Diamond, costing about £80, to Gold, costing about £24.
- This used to say "full participation", but I've let the team captain know that my 'mind games' focus is Bridge, and that - while I'm willing to "fill a board" - I don't want to take the place of anyone more enthusiastic.
- In any case, there's now no 'over the board' chess to be had.
Text Colour Conventions
- Black: Printable Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020
Return to Home page
Timestamp: 28/10/2020 09:49:09. Comments to email@example.com.